Parameter set as a mirror/characteristic of AIX installation. - Aix

This is a discussion on Parameter set as a mirror/characteristic of AIX installation. - Aix ; Hi AIX Gurus, I need your help. I'm AIX greenhorn but I need to know set of attributes/parameters that might be called as AIX-installation-shadow. It may contains chosen language, time zone, hostname etc. You know - parameters given (explicit or ...

  1. Parameter set as a mirror/characteristic of AIX installation.

    Hi AIX Gurus,

    I need your help. I'm AIX greenhorn but I need to know set of
    attributes/parameters that might be called as AIX-installation-shadow.
    It may contains chosen language, time zone, hostname etc. You know -
    parameters given (explicit or not) during the installation process,
    showing or decribing something important.

    Thank you for your time.

    --
    Regards,
    Martin

  2. Re: Parameter set as a mirror/characteristic of AIX installation.

    Marcin написа:
    > Hi AIX Gurus,
    >
    > I need your help. I'm AIX greenhorn but I need to know set of
    > attributes/parameters that might be called as AIX-installation-shadow.
    > It may contains chosen language, time zone, hostname etc. You know -
    > parameters given (explicit or not) during the installation process,
    > showing or decribing something important.
    >
    > Thank you for your time.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Martin

    Hi Martin,

    I'm not quite sure if I understood you correctly, but may be this is
    the information, that you need:

    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...61%74%61%22%20
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...61%74%61%22%20

    This files are used to automate installs on AIX OSs. I hope this could
    help you.

  3. Re: Parameter set as a mirror/characteristic of AIX installation.

    > http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...61%74%61%22%20
    > http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...61%74%61%22%20

    Thank you Simeon,

    It is a bit too detailed for me. I'm looking for *several* and
    *crucial* variables that might describe AIX server just after
    installation.
    If you have to choose 10-15 variables, what would you choose? Pure
    hardware details are not important for me.

    --
    Regards,
    Martin

  4. Re: Parameter set as a mirror/characteristic of AIX installation.

    > It is a bit too detailed for me. I'm looking for *several* and
    > *crucial* variables that might describe AIX server just after
    > installation.
    > If you have to choose 10-15 variables, what would you choose? Pure
    > hardware details are not important for me.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Martin

    Hello again, Martin.

    Well... I would look into the /etc/environment and /etc/profile.
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...nvironment.htm
    Especially the first one.. But this is kind of subjective... Usually
    when documenting system configuration one should use lsdev, lsattr,
    lscfg and prtconf, although these are more hardware related... Also
    some files in /etc/ and /etc/security/ should be printed in hard
    copies. But I don't get your point - why would you need just 15 crucial
    variables?

  5. Re: Parameter set as a mirror/characteristic of AIX installation.

    Thanks once more.

    I wrote 10-15 just for showing that I need only few-several crucial
    variables. Number is not the case.
    Thanks to your help I found some interesting variables like "Kernel 64"
    or "Desktop".
    The reason why I asked that question was, of course, because you are,
    suprise!, AIX gurus:-) and I have no idea where to start. AIX is not
    Linux or Unix...

    Thank you.

    --
    Regards,
    Martin

  6. Re: Parameter set as a mirror/characteristic of AIX installation.

    Marcin wrote:
    > Thanks once more.
    >
    > I wrote 10-15 just for showing that I need only few-several crucial
    > variables. Number is not the case.
    > Thanks to your help I found some interesting variables like "Kernel 64"
    > or "Desktop".
    > The reason why I asked that question was, of course, because you are,
    > suprise!, AIX gurus:-) and I have no idea where to start. AIX is not
    > Linux or Unix...
    >
    > Thank you.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Martin

    Hahahah :-)
    I am everything but deffinately not a guru :-) A good place to start
    learning AIX is the IBM Redbooks domain. If you have general linux
    knowledge, I can suggest you a few books -
    This is the p-Series domain - you can find everything you'll ever need
    to know about AIX here (everything that you can learn from book I mean
    :-) ):
    http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/portals/UNIX
    This should be the book you start with:
    http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/Redbooks...7199.html?Open
    Check this one also:
    http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/Redbooks...6191.html?Open

    Unfortunately, I can't give you any advice what to do after that, as I
    am actually after that and I am looking for a way to study LPAR and
    Clusters without having cluster and LPAR machine... Which is kind of
    impossible...
    Anyway... wish you luck.

+ Reply to Thread