Using w and who in AIX 5.3 - Aix

This is a discussion on Using w and who in AIX 5.3 - Aix ; I might have a slight problem but I'm not familiar enough with AIX 5.3 to know if something has changed. If I type in w or who on the console (Doesn't matter if I'm root or not), it essentially shows ...

  1. Using w and who in AIX 5.3

    I might have a slight problem but I'm not familiar enough with AIX 5.3
    to know if something has changed. If I type in w or who on the console
    (Doesn't matter if I'm root or not), it essentially shows that now
    users are logged in:

    root@AIXBOX ~>w
    02:52PM up 1:41, 0 users, load average: 0.01, 0.02, 0.02
    User tty login@ idle JCPU PCPU what
    root@AIXBOX ~>who
    root@AIXBOX ~>

    Has something changed or is so different in AIX that it doesn't show
    the people I know are logged into the system?I can see their ssh
    session, and programs running. If I turn my head I can see them logged
    in and typing away but ...

    I could do a "ps -e -o pid,user | grep -v root" to get a better look
    but w and who are just much easier for quick scripts.

    Any ideas, oh AIX gurus? I'd appreciate it.

  2. Re: Using w and who in AIX 5.3

    The Praetorian написа:
    > I might have a slight problem but I'm not familiar enough with AIX 5.3
    > to know if something has changed. If I type in w or who on the console
    > (Doesn't matter if I'm root or not), it essentially shows that now
    > users are logged in:
    >
    > root@AIXBOX ~>w
    > 02:52PM up 1:41, 0 users, load average: 0.01, 0.02, 0.02
    > User tty login@ idle JCPU PCPU what
    > root@AIXBOX ~>who
    > root@AIXBOX ~>
    >
    > Has something changed or is so different in AIX that it doesn't show
    > the people I know are logged into the system?I can see their ssh
    > session, and programs running. If I turn my head I can see them logged
    > in and typing away but ...
    >
    > I could do a "ps -e -o pid,user | grep -v root" to get a better look
    > but w and who are just much easier for quick scripts.
    >
    > Any ideas, oh AIX gurus? I'd appreciate it.

    Hi,

    I've had a similar problem and it appeared that the ssh that I have
    installed is not working correct-ly - not only hadn't it shown anything
    while using w, but also it didn't write any correct records in
    /var/adm/wtmp. My advice is to try using telnet and check if your
    telnet connection is reported by w. After that if you think this is the
    cause of your trouble - you can try using this one:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/openssh-aix.
    This is the one I am currently using with no problems.

  3. Re: Using w and who in AIX 5.3

    Simeon.Iskidzhiyski wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I've had a similar problem and it appeared that the ssh that I have
    >installed is not working correct-ly - not only hadn't it shown anything
    >while using w, but also it didn't write any correct records in
    >/var/adm/wtmp. My advice is to try using telnet and check if your
    >telnet connection is reported by w. After that if you think this is the
    >cause of your trouble - you can try using this one:
    >http://sourceforge.net/projects/openssh-aix.
    >This is the one I am currently using with no problems.

    Simeon,

    I did some digging into the resource you linked to and I want to thank
    you very much. That seems to have done it for me and it seems quite
    stable. Thanks again!

  4. Re: Using w and who in AIX 5.3

    It probably does have a lot to do with the version of ssh that you ar
    using. I just checked a 5.3 ML4 box with both w and who, and all i
    good. We are running
    [/root]> ssh -V
    OpenSSH_4.1p1, OpenSSL 0.9.7d 17 Mar 2004

    This is not the most current version but it seems to be okay here

    --
    geekazoid
    geekazoid0's Profile: http://unixadmintalk.com/28

  5. Re: Using w and who in AIX 5.3

    On 2006-10-16, geekazoid0 wrote:

    > It probably does have a lot to do with the version of ssh that you are
    > using. I just checked a 5.3 ML4 box with both w and who, and all is
    > good. We are running
    > [/root]> ssh -V
    > OpenSSH_4.1p1, OpenSSL 0.9.7d 17 Mar 2004
    >
    > This is not the most current version but it seems to be okay here.

    I missed the start of this thread, but if the query is about why ssh users
    don't show up in "w" or "who", then:

    http://www.openssh.com/faq.html#3.16

    [quote]
    3.16 - Why doesn't "w" or "who" on AIX 5.x show users logged in via ssh?

    Between AIX 4.3.3 and AIX 5.x, the format of the wtmp struct changed. This
    means that sshd binaries built on AIX 4.x will not correctly write wtmp
    entries when run on AIX 5.x. This can be fixed by simply recompiling
    sshd on an AIX 5.x system and using that.
    [/quit]

    --
    Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
    usually comes from bad judgement.