Re: Compatible memory for a 7044-170 - Aix

This is a discussion on Re: Compatible memory for a 7044-170 - Aix ; Jurjen Oskam wrote: > Hi, > > I have a 7044-170 machine at home, which has 512 MB of RAM. Unfortunately, > I can't find what type of memory the system will accept. I have looked in > the Service ...

  1. Re: Compatible memory for a 7044-170

    Jurjen Oskam wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a 7044-170 machine at home, which has 512 MB of RAM. Unfortunately,
    > I can't find what type of memory the system will accept. I have looked in
    > the Service Guide, the Installation Guide and the User's Guide. I have
    > also searched the IBM website, the web using Google and checked the
    > archives of this newsgroup.
    >
    > Does anybody know what kind of memory DIMMs the 7044-170 will accept? Or
    > where I can find more information?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > --
    > Jurjen Oskam
    >
    > Savage's Law of Expediency:
    > You want it bad, you'll get it bad.

    Here are your memory limitations:

    System Memory

    There are four memory slots in the Model 170:

    A minimum of 256 MB of memory is required.
    A maximum of 2 GB of system memory.
    One to four memory DIMMs (128 MB, 256 MB, 512 MB) can be installed (the
    DIMMs must be installed in pairs).

    You may also find memory here:

    http://www.wdpi.com/rs6000.htm

  2. Re: Compatible memory for a 7044-170

    On 2006-10-13, aixdude@yahoo.com wrote:

    > There are four memory slots in the Model 170:

    Thanks. I thought I could just put sort-of standard DIMMs in there, but that
    won't work. Fortunately, I've got several 256 MB DIMMs for this machine, so
    I have 1024 MB in it (which is twice the size I had earlier). Unfortunately,
    I can't get to 2048 MB this way.

    --
    Jurjen Oskam

    Savage's Law of Expediency: