print queue problem - Aix

This is a discussion on print queue problem - Aix ; Hi ALL, problem on AIX 5.3 printing to remote Jetdirect connected HP printers I have few queues down with jobs in it, if I'm trying to makea test print to some queue that is up it is going down, I ...

  1. print queue problem

    Hi ALL,

    problem on AIX 5.3 printing to remote Jetdirect connected HP printers

    I have few queues down with jobs in it,
    if I'm trying to makea test print to some queue that is up it is going
    down,
    I can't rais it until clean queue, which is fine with test printer and
    is not with production one.
    But after raising queue up and trying to print it is going down again
    with no printing.
    How activate debuging and where look for messages?

    qconfig compared with other properly printing AIX boxes and is the same

    please direct how resolve this problem

    Thanks,

    Alex

  2. Re: print queue problem

    > problem on AIX 5.3 printing to remote Jetdirect connected HP printers
    >
    > I have few queues down with jobs in it,
    > if I'm trying to makea test print to some queue that is up it is going
    > down,
    > I can't rais it until clean queue, which is fine with test printer and
    > is not with production one.
    > But after raising queue up and trying to print it is going down again
    > with no printing.
    > How activate debuging and where look for messages?
    >
    > qconfig compared with other properly printing AIX boxes and is the same

    What happens if you try:
    ping
    telnet 9100
    echo "does this print" | /usr/lib/lpd/pio/etc/piohpnpf -x

    The queue going immediately down could be the result of name resolution or
    an immediate "connection refused" response from the Jetdirect.

    Best regards,
    Paul Laymon
    http://www.laixsoft.com

  3. Re: print queue problem

    Thanks Paul,

    All 3 tests are positive - can ping, telnet and print directly - so
    what is wrong - spooler?

    laixsoft@laixsoft.com wrote:
    > > problem on AIX 5.3 printing to remote Jetdirect connected HP printers
    > >
    > > I have few queues down with jobs in it,
    > > if I'm trying to makea test print to some queue that is up it is going
    > > down,
    > > I can't rais it until clean queue, which is fine with test printer and
    > > is not with production one.
    > > But after raising queue up and trying to print it is going down again
    > > with no printing.
    > > How activate debuging and where look for messages?
    > >
    > > qconfig compared with other properly printing AIX boxes and is the same

    > What happens if you try:
    > ping
    > telnet 9100
    > echo "does this print" | /usr/lib/lpd/pio/etc/piohpnpf -x
    >
    > The queue going immediately down could be the result of name resolution or
    > an immediate "connection refused" response from the Jetdirect.
    >
    > Best regards,
    > Paul Laymon
    > http://www.laixsoft.com

  4. Re: print queue problem

    wrote in message
    news:1160689004.255366.187760@m73g2000cwd.googlegr oups.com...
    > All 3 tests are positive - can ping, telnet and print directly - so
    > what is wrong - spooler?

    So you've proven that network connectivity and name resolution are working
    which pretty much does leave just the queue. If the queue is idle with no
    jobs queued and in a READY state and you queue a job (enq -Pqname
    /some/file) the queue immediately goes down?

    Is the backend program in /etc/qconfig piohpnpf?
    Is there a virtual printer file present for the queue (lsvirprt)?
    Any change if you remove and readd the queue?
    Does it work if root prints but not others?
    Did it used to work and just recently stopped working?
    Plenty of free space in /var ?

    I think I'd start to suspect either a missing file or permission problem.
    If all else fails ...
    stopsrc -cs qdaemon
    rm /var/spool/lpd/pio/@local/stat/*
    rm /var/spool/lpd/pio/@local/qdir/* (removed ALL queued jobs!)
    rm /var/spool/qdaemon/*

    Best regards,
    Paul

  5. Re: print queue problem

    Thanx, Paul - it is fixed.

    The clue was to delete and recreate the queue:
    while doing delete operation from smit I got that file in @local/dev is
    missed, comparing directory showed absence of almost all files.

    Solution was to copy them from 'good' box and applying piodigest to all
    files in @local/custom

    Thank you again.

    Alex

    laixsoft@laixsoft.com wrote:
    > wrote in message
    > news:1160689004.255366.187760@m73g2000cwd.googlegr oups.com...
    > > All 3 tests are positive - can ping, telnet and print directly - so
    > > what is wrong - spooler?

    > So you've proven that network connectivity and name resolution are working
    > which pretty much does leave just the queue. If the queue is idle with no
    > jobs queued and in a READY state and you queue a job (enq -Pqname
    > /some/file) the queue immediately goes down?
    >
    > Is the backend program in /etc/qconfig piohpnpf?
    > Is there a virtual printer file present for the queue (lsvirprt)?
    > Any change if you remove and readd the queue?
    > Does it work if root prints but not others?
    > Did it used to work and just recently stopped working?
    > Plenty of free space in /var ?
    >
    > I think I'd start to suspect either a missing file or permission problem.
    > If all else fails ...
    > stopsrc -cs qdaemon
    > rm /var/spool/lpd/pio/@local/stat/*
    > rm /var/spool/lpd/pio/@local/qdir/* (removed ALL queued jobs!)
    > rm /var/spool/qdaemon/*
    >
    > Best regards,
    > Paul

  6. Re: print queue problem

    wrote in message
    news:1160699471.828702.13730@f16g2000cwb.googlegro ups.com...
    > Thanx, Paul - it is fixed.
    >
    > The clue was to delete and recreate the queue:
    > while doing delete operation from smit I got that file in @local/dev is
    > missed, comparing directory showed absence of almost all files.
    >
    > Solution was to copy them from 'good' box and applying piodigest to all
    > files in @local/custom
    >
    > Thank you again.
    >
    > Alex

    The files in @local/dev are just empty files. You will see that in
    /etc/qconfig your queues that print to JetDirects have a "file =
    ......@local/dev/blahblahblah" entry. Since the output of the queue is not
    actually sent to this file as it is in a local serial or parallel printer
    (file = /dev/lp###) these bogus files serve only as a locking mechanism. If
    you have multiple queues pointing to the same "file = " then only one at a
    time can print since the printer can't take two jobs at once. Just creating
    the blank @local/dev files would work. Another option is to do "file =
    FALSE" in /etc/qconfig.

    And if you ever need to rebuild the files in @local/custom I usually do
    this:

    cd /var/spool/lpd/pio/@local/custom
    for QUEUE in `ls`
    do
    /usr/lib/lpd/pio/etc/piodigest $QUEUE
    done

    Best regards,
    Paul
    http://www.laixsoft.com

  7. Re: print queue problem

    Paul,

    I did exactly same 'for' cycle for piodigest, I'm still learning
    printing in AIX so thanks for clarification of dev directory files
    function.

    Regards,

    Alex

    laixsoft@laixsoft.com wrote:
    > wrote in message
    > news:1160699471.828702.13730@f16g2000cwb.googlegro ups.com...
    > > Thanx, Paul - it is fixed.
    > >
    > > The clue was to delete and recreate the queue:
    > > while doing delete operation from smit I got that file in @local/dev is
    > > missed, comparing directory showed absence of almost all files.
    > >
    > > Solution was to copy them from 'good' box and applying piodigest to all
    > > files in @local/custom
    > >
    > > Thank you again.
    > >
    > > Alex

    > The files in @local/dev are just empty files. You will see that in
    > /etc/qconfig your queues that print to JetDirects have a "file =
    > .....@local/dev/blahblahblah" entry. Since the output of the queue is not
    > actually sent to this file as it is in a local serial or parallel printer
    > (file = /dev/lp###) these bogus files serve only as a locking mechanism. If
    > you have multiple queues pointing to the same "file = " then only one at a
    > time can print since the printer can't take two jobs at once. Just creating
    > the blank @local/dev files would work. Another option is to do "file =
    > FALSE" in /etc/qconfig.
    >
    > And if you ever need to rebuild the files in @local/custom I usually do
    > this: