Onboard termination of SCSI controller ? - Aix

This is a discussion on Onboard termination of SCSI controller ? - Aix ; Hi all I'm doing some work on an *old* (7011-250 I think) RS/6000 machine. Can anyone hazard a guess at whether the onboard SCSI controller termination will be effective when the machine is booted with the keyswitch set to "LOCK" ...

  1. Onboard termination of SCSI controller ?

    Hi all

    I'm doing some work on an *old* (7011-250 I think) RS/6000 machine.

    Can anyone hazard a guess at whether the onboard SCSI controller
    termination will be effective when the machine is booted with the
    keyswitch set to "LOCK" ?

    I'm accessing the internal disk with an external machine (via the
    external SCSI port), while the machine is booted in "LOCK", so the
    internal disk is powered but the controller is inactive. (Don't ask
    why, long story...).

    Just wondering whether this means the internal controller end of the
    SCSI bus would still be terminated or not...

    Thanks in advance !

  2. Re: Onboard termination of SCSI controller ?

    muddyboots@gmail.com wrote:
    > Can anyone hazard a guess at whether the onboard SCSI controller
    > termination will be effective when the machine is booted with the
    > keyswitch set to "LOCK" ?

    I seem to recall that a slightly intelligent (say, Adaptec 2940u) SCSI
    controller, can tell whether the line is terminated or not (if you set
    the internal termination of the Adaptec to fixed-on, it'll tell you if
    the other end is terminated, not terminated or double terminated).

    I haven't tried it recently, but something about this lingers somewhere
    in deep memory, so I could be wrong with the make/model of the card.

    --
    Alex.

+ Reply to Thread