tomcaml@yahoo.com wrote:
> in AIX 5.3, are the number of semaphores in the kernel settings for the
> OS manually configurable?
> and if so....how?
>
> our environment is informix version 10 on aix 5.3 and we received a
> crash and were told that the failure was caused by the engine not
> having enough semaphores in the kernel settings - but alas, we were not
> told any more details than that so far.

According to the documentation, these parameters 'do not require tuning
because they are dynamically adjusted'. See
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...roc_commun.htm

The parameter in question would be semmni.

There are operating system limits, see
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...ipc_limits.htm

There is no command I know that will show you the value of semmni,
but the following C program does the trick:

#include
#include
#include

int main(int argc, char **argv) {
struct ipc_limits out;

if (vmgetinfo(&out, IPC_LIMITS, sizeof(out))) {
perror("vmgetinfo() unexpectedly failed");
return 1;
}

printf("semmni = %llu\n", out.semmni);
return 0;