AIX Unix box for Oracle. - Aix

This is a discussion on AIX Unix box for Oracle. - Aix ; I am looking for some input on an AIX box for Oracle. What I have now is a p615 with single 1.2 GHz processor and 3 GB of RAM running AIX 5.2 and Oracle 8.1.7 (old, I know) with a ...

  1. AIX Unix box for Oracle.

    I am looking for some input on an AIX box for Oracle. What I have now
    is a p615 with single 1.2 GHz processor and 3 GB of RAM running AIX 5.2
    and Oracle 8.1.7 (old, I know) with a 30GB dB. Fairly low usage.

    I'm looking at getting a DR server. What I would like to do is get a
    slightly better server to use as my production box and make the p615 my
    DR box. Anyway, I was wondering what people are using for Oracle
    servers on the low end? Is anyone running Oracle on a p520?

    I am not an Oracle DBA, so keep that in mind when asking me to clarify
    any Oracle questions.

    Thanks for any input you can give me.

  2. Re: AIX Unix box for Oracle.

    TB wrote:
    > I am looking for some input on an AIX box for Oracle. What I have now
    > is a p615 with single 1.2 GHz processor and 3 GB of RAM running AIX 5.2
    > and Oracle 8.1.7 (old, I know) with a 30GB dB. Fairly low usage.
    >
    > I'm looking at getting a DR server. What I would like to do is get a
    > slightly better server to use as my production box and make the p615 my
    > DR box. Anyway, I was wondering what people are using for Oracle
    > servers on the low end? Is anyone running Oracle on a p520?
    >
    > I am not an Oracle DBA, so keep that in mind when asking me to clarify
    > any Oracle questions.
    >
    > Thanks for any input you can give me.

    I'll let someone else make a recommendation on systems, but what I can
    tell you from experience (AIX 5.2, Oracle 8i, archive logging, and DR
    setup on four servers) is that I would recommend plenty of memory
    available, extra disk space to store as many archive logs as you can,
    and a 10/100/1000 network card that is dedicated for the archive log
    transfers to the DR system.

    This last issue is very important in DR situations. My experience with
    a poor network bandwidth and throughput was that the archive logs were
    not transferred completely before the next archive log was requested
    and tried to be applied. This used to cause or hot standby to get out
    of sequence and thus the RECOVER MANAGED STANDBY DATABASE would fail.
    We then had to send over any missing archives and run the RECOVER
    STANDBY UNTIL CANCEL to get it to apply and up-to-date.

    Also, keep in mind that the Oracle 8i is a 32-bit application according
    to Oracle's Metalink website, while AIX 5.2 offers 64-bit support now.
    You may want to note the infomation below from Oracle' s website:

    AIX 5.2
    -----------
    Application Hardware Operating Sys Kernel

    8.1.7 32bit 32bit or 64bit 64bit 32bit or 64bit
    **)
    8.1.7 64bit --- Not available ---
    9.0.1 64bit --- Not available ---
    9.2.0 64bit 64bit 64bit 32bit or 64bit

    ** requires Patch 2896876

    Compatibility between the different kernel modes:

    Applications developed/compiled using 32-bit kernel mode, in most
    cases,will
    run fine with 64-bit kernel mode as well.

    The only case where a 32-bit application will not run on the 64-bit
    kernel is
    if an application needs the use of a kernel extension (a program that
    extends
    the kernel and may, for example, provide a new system call for the
    application)
    that is only available in 32-bit mode.

    An example is Oracle 8.1.7, which contains a kernel extension that is
    only
    32-bit enabled. Oracle 9.2.0 has no such restriction and runs on the
    64-bit
    kernel.

    Oracle Compatibility with AIX 5L:
    ----------------------------------

    As mentioned in the previous section , Oracle 8.1.7 uses at least one
    32-bit
    kernel extension. A version compatible with 64-bit kernel mode is not
    provided
    with the default media, but is available as Patch 2896876. This patch
    must be
    installed prior to using the kernel in 64-bit mode.

    The kernel can be in either 32-bit mode or 64-bit mode. No patch is
    required
    to use Oracle 8.1.7 and or Oracle 9.2.0 on the former. Patch 2896876 is

    required if Oracle8i is going to be used on the latter.

    The Oracle 9.2.0 version for AIX 5L, on the other hand , does not use
    any such
    32-bit kernel extensions, and therefore can run in either of the kernel
    modes.
    So, we can run Oracle 9.2.0 in either 32-bit or 64-bit kernel modes.

    As a result of above two statements, if the customer wants to use both
    Oracle 8.1.7 and Oracle 9.2.0 on AIX 5L, he either has to leave the
    kernel in
    32-bit mode or install Patch 2896876 which allows the use of both
    32-bit mode
    and 64-bit mode.

+ Reply to Thread