Nested filesystems - Aix

This is a discussion on Nested filesystems - Aix ; Hi, Can anyone explain what happens when nested filesystems in AIX are mounted out of order ? E.g. /dev/fslv01 mount point /a /dev/fslv02 moint point /a/b /dev/fslv03 mount point /a/b/c What happens when the fs are mounted in this order ...

  1. Nested filesystems

    Hi,
    Can anyone explain what happens when nested filesystems in AIX are mounted out of order ?

    E.g.

    /dev/fslv01 mount point /a
    /dev/fslv02 moint point /a/b
    /dev/fslv03 mount point /a/b/c

    What happens when the fs are mounted in this order

    /a/b/c then /a/b then /a

    I know I can control the mounting by specifiying the order in /etc/filesystems , but tyring to understand how aix makes the fs available at mount points.

  2. Re: Nested filesystems

    It is a thumb rule that parent filesystem has to be mounted first and then the underlying directories have to be mounted. If you mount out of order, say /a/b/c first and then /a/b and at last /a, you will not see any data in /a/b and /a. You can only use /a/b/c .The other two parent filesystems will be just mount points and not be used as filesystems.

+ Reply to Thread