spool printers - Aix

This is a discussion on spool printers - Aix ; Dear all, I am using AIX 5.3 with IBM P5 series server. I am using network spool printers also. In case power fails or network link break need to restart the printer from server side (with enable command). Any one ...

  1. spool printers

    Dear all,
    I am using AIX 5.3 with IBM P5 series server. I am using network spool
    printers also. In case power fails or network link break need to
    restart the printer from server side (with enable command). Any one
    can help me to solve this problem?
    Jayasiri

  2. Re: spool printers

    "gune" wrote in message
    > Dear all,
    > I am using AIX 5.3 with IBM P5 series server. I am using network spool
    > printers also. In case power fails or network link break need to
    > restart the printer from server side (with enable command). Any one
    > can help me to solve this problem?
    > Jayasiri

    There are a few approaches you can take:

    1) A script to re-enable down queues
    PROS: Fairly simple
    CONS: Restarts jobs and they begin printing again from the beginning, job
    runs periodically to check queue status even when everything is fine

    2) Extend remote queue timeout periods (assuming your queues are remote
    queues using rembak or piorlfb)
    PROS: Works for short term outages
    CONS: Queues eventually go down anyways so you may reduce but not resolve
    the issue

    3) Give a try to our TCPrint print queue backend (http://www.laixssoft.com)
    instead of a remote of JetDirect queue attachment
    PROS: Queues never go down, jobs resume where they left off when
    connectivity is restored, paper jam resolved, etc.
    CONS: Not an integrated part of AIX OS

    Best regards,
    Paul

+ Reply to Thread