Properly initializing a serial device? - Aix

This is a discussion on Properly initializing a serial device? - Aix ; Hi -- I have a serial device attached to /dev/tty8 on an AIX 5.3 server. Any time the server reboots, the application that drives this device loses its ability to open and manage the device until I enter the following ...

  1. Properly initializing a serial device?

    Hi --

    I have a serial device attached to /dev/tty8 on an AIX 5.3 server. Any time
    the server reboots, the application that drives this device loses its
    ability to open and manage the device until I enter the following command at
    a shell prompt:

    # >/dev/tty8

    After I do this, I have no further problems with the application or the
    serial device -- until the next time the server reboots.

    What can I do to have the server "take care of this" so that I don't lose
    the device every time the server reboots?

    Thanks,
    CL

  2. Re: Properly initializing a serial device?

    Charles Lavin schrieb:
    > Hi --
    >
    > I have a serial device attached to /dev/tty8 on an AIX 5.3 server. Any time
    > the server reboots, the application that drives this device loses its
    > ability to open and manage the device until I enter the following command at
    > a shell prompt:
    >
    > # >/dev/tty8
    >
    > After I do this, I have no further problems with the application or the
    > serial device -- until the next time the server reboots.
    >
    > What can I do to have the server "take care of this" so that I don't lose
    > the device every time the server reboots?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > CL

    Hi,
    if you don't want spent too much time on testing various attributes of
    tty8 (lsattr -El tty8, autoconfig etc..) just use /etc/inittab to have
    that doing for you.

    inittty8:2nce: >/dev/tty8 2>&1 # Initialize tty8

    or put a script "Stty8" to /etc/rc.d/rc2.d containing ">/dev/tty8"

    Regards,
    Uwe Auer

  3. Re: Properly initializing a serial device?

    Charles Lavin wrote:

    > Hi --
    >
    > I have a serial device attached to /dev/tty8 on an AIX 5.3 server. Any
    > time the server reboots, the application that drives this device loses its
    > ability to open and manage the device until I enter the following command
    > at a shell prompt:
    >
    > # >/dev/tty8
    >
    > After I do this, I have no further problems with the application or the
    > serial device -- until the next time the server reboots.
    >
    > What can I do to have the server "take care of this" so that I don't lose
    > the device every time the server reboots?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > CL

    If you properly define the serial settings via SMIT they should be retained
    properly.

    However, here's something that worked for me: (Please use man stty for
    specific syntax)

    When the device is working correctly run the following command:

    stty -a ./config.name

    This saves the settings from the device "name" and stores them into a file
    called "config.name".

    Then, add to the /etc/rc file a command for each device needed initializing:

    cat ./config.name
    And, there is a great resource for AIX serial and network device support
    (its NOT me) but this source is excellent, reliable and inexpensive. Its
    www.laixsoft.com and they've solved countless device issues for me over the
    years.

    Good luck - Bob (former VAR and certified aix professional)

+ Reply to Thread