filesystem increasing without logical reason - Aix

This is a discussion on filesystem increasing without logical reason - Aix ; Hello, on a AIX 5.2 system I have a filesystem that houses the binaries for Progress. This is a 750MB filesystem and stated filling up suddenly. I cannot find what i causing this. du command shows its 200MB filled. find ...

  1. filesystem increasing without logical reason

    Hello, on a AIX 5.2 system I have a filesystem that houses the
    binaries for Progress.
    This is a 750MB filesystem and stated filling up suddenly. I cannot
    find what i causing this. du command shows its 200MB filled. find
    recently added files doesn't revail anything either. So I am spooked.

    Hopefully someone can clue me. It strts to get to 100% and things will
    crash.

    --
    system1 root / # df -m /dev/softlv
    Filesystem MB blocks Free %Used Iused %Iused Mounted on

    system1 root / # du -sm /soft
    211.10 /soft

    Thanks.

  2. Re: filesystem increasing without logical reason

    relikwie wrote:
    > Hello, on a AIX 5.2 system I have a filesystem that houses the
    > binaries for Progress.
    > This is a 750MB filesystem and stated filling up suddenly. I cannot
    > find what i causing this. du command shows its 200MB filled. find
    > recently added files doesn't revail anything either. So I am spooked.
    >
    > Hopefully someone can clue me. It strts to get to 100% and things will
    > crash.
    >
    > --
    > system1 root / # df -m /dev/softlv
    > Filesystem MB blocks Free %Used Iused %Iused Mounted on
    > /dev/softlv 768.00 18.80 98% 2720 2% /soft
    >

    > system1 root / # du -sm /soft
    > 211.10 /soft
    >

    > Thanks.

    this can be caused by deletion of open files. The deleted file will not
    be seen by you or the du command anymore, but aix will not free its
    associated space as long as a process still has the file open.
    The df command uses a different way to determine used space.

    Stop processes that have open files in the filesystem (if in the
    meantime they are not crashed anyway). A umount/mount will make sure no
    one has open files there and report the result.

    Joachim Gann

  3. Re: filesystem increasing without logical reason

    On Oct 15, 7:31*am, relikwie wrote:
    > Hello, on a AIX 5.2 system I have a filesystem that houses the
    > binaries for Progress.
    > This is a 750MB filesystem and stated filling up suddenly. I cannot
    > find what i causing this. du command shows its 200MB filled. find
    > recently added files doesn't revail anything either. So I am spooked.
    >
    > Hopefully someone can clue me. It strts to get to 100% and things will
    > crash.
    >
    > --
    > system1 root / # df -m /dev/softlv
    > Filesystem * *MB blocks * * *Free %Used * *Iused %Iused Mounted on
    > /dev/softlv * *768.00 * * 18.80 * 98% * * 2720 * * 2% /soft
    >
    > system1 root / # du -sm /soft
    > 211.10 */soft
    >
    > Thanks.

    Like Joachim said, you might have an open file that has been deleted
    (so you don't see the file) but the process associated with that file
    has not finished and so it retains the used space until that process
    is killed.

    One thing you can try is:

    fuser /dev/softlv

    That should give you the PIDs for any processes still active in the
    logical volume. If you can't bring down your Progress databases and
    unmount the file system, perhaps that will help you track down an
    obsolete PID that is still active. The minute that process dies, the
    space will be freed, if that is what was using up the space in the
    first place.

    Steve

  4. Re: filesystem increasing without logical reason

    On 16 okt, 17:01, "steven_nospam at Yahoo! Canada"
    wrote:
    > On Oct 15, 7:31*am, relikwie wrote:
    >

    > > Hello, on a AIX 5.2 system I have a filesystem that houses the
    > > binaries for Progress.
    > > This is a 750MB filesystem and stated filling up suddenly. I cannot
    > > find what i causing this. du command shows its 200MB filled. find
    > > recently added files doesn't revail anything either. So I am spooked.

    > > Hopefully someone can clue me. It strts to get to 100% and things will
    > > crash.

    > > --
    > > system1 root / # df -m /dev/softlv
    > > Filesystem * *MB blocks * * *Free %Used * *Iused %Iused Mounted on
    > > /dev/softlv * *768.00 * * 18.80 * 98% * * 2720 * * 2%/soft

    > > system1 root / # du -sm /soft
    > > 211.10 */soft

    > > Thanks.

    > Like Joachim said, you might have an open file that has been deleted
    > (so you don't see the file) but the process associated with that file
    > has not finished and so it retains the used space until that process
    > is killed.
    >
    > One thing you can try is:
    >
    > fuser /dev/softlv
    >
    > That should give you the PIDs for any processes still active in the
    > logical volume. If you can't bring down your Progress databases and
    > unmount the file system, perhaps that will help you track down an
    > obsolete PID that is still active. The minute that process dies, the
    > space will be freed, if that is what was using up the space in the
    > first place.
    >
    > Steve

    Hi, I've used fuser to find out what was using the fs, and saw two
    ksh processes where other processes were all progress. someone had
    een doing things on the fs directly. killing these freed up that
    precious space.

    Just wanted to let you know..

    This google news needs a usablility expert to fix things.
    Wanted to reply on the thread but couldn't find how. so replied on
    your post.

+ Reply to Thread