Erasing Tape tctl problem - Aix

This is a discussion on Erasing Tape tctl problem - Aix ; Hello! I try to erase tape on AIX 5 system with tctl. I get the following message: # tctl -f /dev/rmt0 erase /dev/rmt0 erase 1 failed: There is an input or output error. Device is available, tape is inserted, tctl ...

  1. Erasing Tape tctl problem

    Hello!

    I try to erase tape on AIX 5 system with tctl. I get the following
    message:

    # tctl -f /dev/rmt0 erase
    /dev/rmt0 erase 1 failed: There is an input or output error.

    Device is available, tape is inserted, tctl rewind works without
    error, tctl status shows the following info:

    # tctl status
    rmt0 Available 05-08-01-1,0 LVD SCSI Tape Drive
    attribute value description user_settable

    block_size 1024 BLOCK size (0=variable length) True
    compress yes Use data COMPRESSION True
    density_set_1 129 DENSITY setting #1 True
    density_set_2 128 DENSITY setting #2 True
    extfm yes Use EXTENDED file marks True
    mode yes Use DEVICE BUFFERS during writes True
    ret no RETENSION on tape change or reset True
    ret_error no RETURN error on tape change or reset True
    size_in_mb 80000 Size in Megabytes False
    #

    What can I do to be able to successfully erase the tape?

    Thankx for any suggestions.

    B.

    berberek

  2. Re: Erasing Tape tctl problem

    Maciej Lankowski wrote:

    > Hello!
    >
    > I try to erase tape on AIX 5 system with tctl. I get the following
    > message:
    >
    > # tctl -f /dev/rmt0 erase
    > /dev/rmt0 erase 1 failed: There is an input or output error.
    >
    > Device is available, tape is inserted, tctl rewind works without
    > error, tctl status shows the following info:
    >

    > # tctl status
    > rmt0 Available 05-08-01-1,0 LVD SCSI Tape Drive
    > attribute value description user_settable
    >
    > block_size 1024 BLOCK size (0=variable length) True
    > compress yes Use data COMPRESSION True
    > density_set_1 129 DENSITY setting #1 True
    > density_set_2 128 DENSITY setting #2 True
    > extfm yes Use EXTENDED file marks True
    > mode yes Use DEVICE BUFFERS during writes True
    > ret no RETENSION on tape change or reset True
    > ret_error no RETURN error on tape change or reset True
    > size_in_mb 80000 Size in Megabytes False
    > #
    >

    > What can I do to be able to successfully erase the tape?
    >
    > Thankx for any suggestions.
    >
    > B.
    >

    > berberek

    1) check that the write protect tab on the cartridge is NOT in the protect
    position;

    2) with the tape inserted issue the command "tcopy /dev/rmt0" and let it
    cook for a while then use ctrl+c to cancel it. The display will show you
    what file(s) exist on the tape. If anything shows you can change your
    block length to that shown and try again OR set your block length
    (temporary) to zero with "chdev -l rmt0 -a block_size=0" to see if that
    works. Be sure to set it back to 1024 afterwords.

    HTH

+ Reply to Thread