AIX GUI management/monitoring tool - Aix

This is a discussion on AIX GUI management/monitoring tool - Aix ; I've been in AIX support for a few years, and so far I've managed to avoid using a Windows based GUI to manage and monitor the AIX systems I've supported. Managed fine with the command line. We've now got 24 ...

  1. AIX GUI management/monitoring tool

    I've been in AIX support for a few years, and so far I've managed to
    avoid using a Windows based GUI to manage and monitor the AIX systems
    I've supported. Managed fine with the command line.

    We've now got 24 AIX servers to manage, and I think the time has come
    to use a GUI based management software.

    It need to be Windows/browser based product. It would be useful if it
    could integrate into HACMP as well.

    Any Ideas as to which would be a suitable product.

    Thanks in advance.

    James.

  2. Re: AIX GUI management/monitoring tool

    Jimbo wrote:

    > I've been in AIX support for a few years, and so far I've managed to
    > avoid using a Windows based GUI to manage and monitor the AIX systems
    > I've supported. Managed fine with the command line.
    >
    > We've now got 24 AIX servers to manage, and I think the time has come
    > to use a GUI based management software.
    >
    > It need to be Windows/browser based product. It would be useful if it
    > could integrate into HACMP as well.
    >
    > Any Ideas as to which would be a suitable product.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > James.

    James;

    Usually the overhead required to run a GUI for a server is not worth it
    IMHO. Do what I/We did... install webmin on each AIX box. It runs its own
    perl based http(s) server which is extremely efficient and each server can
    be accessed from a browser on your desktop. Therefore there is NO GUI on
    the server itself.

    There never has been anything that I haven't been able to do admin-wise
    using webmin.
    www.webmin.com

    Good luck.

    Bob

  3. Re: AIX GUI management/monitoring tool

    On Oct 8, 6:52 am, Jimbo wrote:
    > I've been in AIX support for a few years, and so far I've managed to
    > avoid using a Windows based GUI to manage and monitor the AIX systems
    > I've supported. Managed fine with the command line.
    >
    > We've now got 24 AIX servers to manage, and I think the time has come
    > to use a GUI based management software.
    >
    > It need to be Windows/browser based product. It would be useful if it
    > could integrate into HACMP as well.
    >
    > Any Ideas as to which would be a suitable product.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > James.

    Have you looked at wsm?

  4. Re: AIX GUI management/monitoring tool

    On Oct 8, 5:55*pm, smallpond wrote:
    > On Oct 8, 6:52 am, Jimbo wrote:
    >
    > > I've been in AIX support for a few years, and so far I've managed to
    > > avoid using a Windows based GUI to manage and monitor the AIX systems
    > > I've supported. Managed fine with the command line.

    > > We've now got 24 AIX servers to manage, and I think the time has come
    > > to use a GUI based management software.

    > > It need to be Windows/browser based product. It would be useful if it
    > > could integrate into HACMP as well.

    > > Any Ideas as to which would be a suitable product.

    > > Thanks in advance.

    > > James.

    > Have you looked at wsm?

    I think you should really seperate the requirements of monitor and
    manage. What app are these boxes running? Does your enviroment already
    have some monitoring infrastructure in place? If not, Nagios is easy
    to setup and get going. This can do monitoring and notifications! If
    you have an Oracle enviroment, talk to the DBAs about getting in on
    Grid Control, since it can do alot of the same.

    For mgmt, I've always stayed with command line stuff. I've tried
    Webmin (awhile ago) on HP-UX and disliked it. It was only helpful for
    small things like user/group creation, anything hard hitting (disk,
    filesystem, ulimits, etc) I needed to jump to the command line, so it
    was pointless. Maybe it's changed since then? Also, since AIX has WSM,
    wouldn't this do a much better job?

    Are you already using NIS+ to make user land an easier place?

    Exactly what mgmt problems are you having? If you let us know, we've
    probably been through it and can let you know how we handled it.

  5. Re: AIX GUI management/monitoring tool

    edcrosbys wrote:
    > On Oct 8, 5:55 pm, smallpond wrote:
    >> On Oct 8, 6:52 am, Jimbo wrote:
    >>
    >>> I've been in AIX support for a few years, and so far I've managed to
    >>> avoid using a Windows based GUI to manage and monitor the AIX systems
    >>> I've supported. Managed fine with the command line.
    >>> We've now got 24 AIX servers to manage, and I think the time has come
    >>> to use a GUI based management software.
    >>> It need to be Windows/browser based product. It would be useful if it
    >>> could integrate into HACMP as well.
    >>> Any Ideas as to which would be a suitable product.
    >>> Thanks in advance.
    >>> James.

    >> Have you looked at wsm?

    > I think you should really seperate the requirements of monitor and
    > manage. ...

    I agree with edcrosbys.

    Automated _Monitoring_ with Alerts (optionally with GUI) is essential
    for even a small number of systems or LPARs.

    _Management_ is a rather unsharp term. It could mean AIX System
    Administration or the Server Management you do with the HMC or handling
    Applications and Ressource Groups...

    GUI based System Administration (like wsm) to me makes less sense the
    more systems or LPARs you deal with. There are (non GUI) tools like nim,
    dsh and shell scripting which help in automating these administration tasks.

    Also, I understand the HMC as a Server Management tool, where you can
    optionally use the GUI for tasks you are not familiar with, but can work
    more efficiently by scripting commands.

    Joachim

  6. Re: AIX GUI management/monitoring tool

    I always liked the distributed command line implementations rather
    than a gui for
    system administration of a large number of servers.

    I loved PSSP while it was still being sold, and I like CSM. (Both of
    them IBM products)
    CSM includes a utility called "dsh", and does some work integrating
    file collections and
    group management with that. CSM also has can be used for remote power
    off and on
    through an HMC.

    For monitoring, I have always used a combination of scripted email
    alerts (For less pressing problems)
    and Tivoli monitoring (for immediate problems)

    Hope this helps,
    Casey

+ Reply to Thread