VIOs sending BDPU packets? - Aix

This is a discussion on VIOs sending BDPU packets? - Aix ; I am in the process of testing 802.1Q tagging on a pair of VIOS servers (to have client LPARs on 2 different VLANS). The network guys are telling me that AIX is trying to participate in Spanning Tree and the ...

  1. VIOs sending BDPU packets?

    I am in the process of testing 802.1Q tagging on a pair of VIOS
    servers (to have client LPARs on 2 different VLANS). The network guys
    are telling me that AIX is trying to participate in Spanning Tree and
    the switch port is being automatically disabled. They have BDPU Guard
    and portfast both enabled on the switch.

    Does anybody know of any reason why this might be happening. The
    current configuration is 1 Ethernet port on each VIOs. I have 2
    virtual ethernet adapters on each VIO, the 1 we were using before we
    started testing Q-tagging and the new one with the VLANs. I used
    chdev to add the new V-ethernet adapter to the existing SEA. All four
    virtual adapters are configured as trunk adapters and they have a
    trunk priorities ranging from 1-4.

    Currently I have no client LPARs even turned on in an attempt to
    narrow down the problem. Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

  2. Re: VIOs sending BDPU packets?

    On Oct 3, 3:48*pm, bscottberg wrote:
    > I am in the process of testing 802.1Q tagging on a pair of VIOS
    > servers (to have client LPARs on 2 different VLANS). *The network guys
    > are telling me that AIX is trying to participate in Spanning Tree and
    > the switch port is being automatically disabled. *They have BDPU Guard
    > and portfast both enabled on the switch.
    >
    > Does anybody know of any reason why this might be happening. *The
    > current configuration is 1 Ethernet port on each VIOs. *I have 2
    > virtual ethernet adapters on each VIO, the 1 we were using before we
    > started testing Q-tagging and the new one with the VLANs. *I used
    > chdev to add the new V-ethernet adapter to the existing SEA. *All four
    > virtual adapters are configured as trunk adapters and they have a
    > trunk priorities ranging from 1-4.
    >
    > Currently I have no client LPARs even turned on in an attempt to
    > narrow down the problem. *Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

    Hi

    I'm pretty sure that you have forgotten the control channel for the
    SEA.
    You must have a control channel when you try to setup
    SharedEthernedAdapters with failover inbetween the VIOs.
    Currently your setup is trying to create a spanning tree loop bpdus'
    comming in via one of the VIOS and out the other, when the switch
    notice this it will disable the port. (Be happy that the network guys
    configured the port this way, i have tried it on a big network once
    without this guard)

    Do like this.
    Basic setup with SEA failover inbetween two Virtual I/O servers
    assign three virtual adapters to each VIO server.
    adapter 1 plain adapter no trunking no nothing, put it on your
    administrative VLAN (let's say 100)
    adapter 2 trunk adapter on VLAN 1 802.1q add your VLANS
    (100,101,102,130 for example) on primary virtual I/O server Priority 1
    secondary Priority 2
    adapter 3 ctl_channel adapter on VLAN (any VLAN that your not trunking
    out) for example 99

    lsdev |grep ent would look something like
    ent0 Available 2-Port 10/100/1000 Base-TX PCI-X Adapter
    (14108902)
    ent1 Available 2-Port 10/100/1000 Base-TX PCI-X Adapter
    (14108902)
    ent2 Available Virtual I/O Ethernet Adapter (l-lan) <-
    plain adapter for the VIO server
    ent3 Available Virtual I/O Ethernet Adapter (l-lan) <-
    Trunk Adapter
    ent4 Available Virtual I/O Ethernet Adapter (l-lan) <-
    Ctl_channel

    then just create the SEA on your primary VIO server
    mkvdev -sea ent0 -vadapter ent3 -default ent3 -defaultid 100 -attr
    ha_mode=auto ctl_chan=ent4
    Run the same command on the secondary VIO server
    Then test your setup if it's redundand by issuing the command:
    chdev -dev ent5 (SEA interface) -attr ha_mode=standby
    on your primary VIO server

    Check your errorlog (errlog|head -10)
    40D97644 0905043208 I H entX BECOME BACKUP

    Your secondary will become primary in the errorlog
    configure an IP on ent2 in above example and ping the gateway to
    verify that it's working as it should.

    One other tip. If your on VIO 1.5.0.0 upgrade to atleast fp 10.1
    before you do anything.

    If it doesn't work on default VLAN 100 it's very likely that the
    network crew have configured a native VLAN on the port/etherchannel
    and VLAN 100 is untagged when it gets to the hypervisor switch.

    Good luck
    Jesper

+ Reply to Thread