Source Code Migration Plan - Aix

This is a discussion on Source Code Migration Plan - Aix ; Dear all, I need to make a plan for migration of Source Code from one of our vendor. Its a big application that is developed in AIX as core system and DELPHI as front-end. The plan would consist of the ...

  1. Source Code Migration Plan

    Dear all,

    I need to make a plan for migration of Source Code from one of our
    vendor.
    Its a big application that is developed in AIX as core system and
    DELPHI
    as front-end.

    The plan would consist of the details steps for taking Source Code
    and
    building our own Development environment.

    Up till now I have done some work and have written some points but I
    am
    searching for some Template or Standard for such activity.

    Some of my points are as follows....

    Structure of Software:
    1 Number of Modules
    2 Compiling Criteria (Module vise or Complete Project)
    3 MAKEFILE Structure
    4 MAKEFILE Independence
    5 Code Compile-Time
    6 Number of files in the project
    7 Pre-compiled Libraries (AIX + DELPHI + 3rd Party)
    8 Source Browsing application

    Development Platform:
    9 Development clients
    10 Code Access Plan (User Rights)
    11 Update Frequency

    Debugging & Testing Procedures
    12 Bug Tracking
    13 Code revision/versioning application
    14 Code reliability (what level it has been debugged)
    15 Testing application/scripts
    16 Testing mechanism

    General Requirements
    17 Complete Hardware Configuration of the Machine to host the code
    18 Personnel requirement for future Maintenance
    19 The code must be thoroughly commented in English.
    20 A help manual documentation that shall describe all the code
    interfaces,
    the exported functions, inter module and intra-module
    mechanism
    21 DIFF/Patch mechanism
    22 Detailed Technical Documentation (updated version)

    List of Required Source Code
    22 AIX side services
    23 AIX GUI
    24 Client GUI (Delphi)
    25 DB Schema & Generation Scripts
    26 Client-side service if any
    27 DB side procedures & triggers

    28 Technical Documents containing SRS, SDL, SDC and Help manuals

    Please give me some more information to make the plan more
    comprehensive.

    cheers

    Sara!

  2. Re: Source Code Migration Plan

    sara_michael77@yahoo.com schrieb:
    > I need to make a plan for migration of Source Code from one of our
    > vendor.
    > Its a big application that is developed in AIX as core system and
    > DELPHI
    > as front-end.

    > Please give me some more information to make the plan more
    > comprehensive.

    Define the now existing skills?
    Define the target platform?

    A successful migration isn't such a technical problem, if the
    technicians/programmers find the environment they need. You have written
    down lots of details about the developers technical environment.

    Often documentation is kind of misleading because it is more or less
    outdated. It is really needed for the big view as a starting point.
    On the implementation level test-cases for every interface is the most
    helpful and precise documentation.

    Is AIX the platform or is the platform Oracle/DB2/Informix for the main
    part of server side?

    --
    Uli

+ Reply to Thread