Source Code Acquisition Plan - Aix

This is a discussion on Source Code Acquisition Plan - Aix ; Hello, I am required to make a plan for Transfer of Souce Code from a company. The code would be comprising of AIX application and DELPHI as front end. It is a big system with hundreds of modules and certianly ...

  1. Source Code Acquisition Plan

    Hello,

    I am required to make a plan for Transfer of Souce Code from
    a company. The code would be comprising of AIX application
    and DELPHI as front end.

    It is a big system with hundreds of modules and certianly
    millions of line of code.

    I need some mechanism/plan that shall take care of all the
    nitty gritty of project

    意umber of Modules
    嵩ompiling Criteria (Module vise or Complete Project)
    愚akefile Structure
    愚akefile Independence
    嵩ompile-Time (Module vise or Complete Project)
    意umber of files
    感re-compiled Libraries
    感re-compiled Libraries (AIX + DELPHI + 3rd Party)

    Thanks

    Sara

  2. Re: Source Code Acquisition Plan

    wrote in message

    >I am required to make a plan for Transfer of Souce Code from
    >a company. The code would be comprising of AIX application
    >and DELPHI as front end.
    >
    >It is a big system with hundreds of modules and certianly
    >millions of line of code.
    >
    >I need some mechanism/plan that shall take care of all the
    >nitty gritty of project
    >
    >意umber of Modules
    >嵩ompiling Criteria (Module vise or Complete Project)
    >愚akefile Structure
    >愚akefile Independence
    >嵩ompile-Time (Module vise or Complete Project)
    >意umber of files
    >感re-compiled Libraries
    >感re-compiled Libraries (AIX + DELPHI + 3rd Party)

    Shouldn't this be covered by a simple transfer of the source code repository
    (CVS/SVN/whatever they've used)? If the code isn't in one of these that's a
    really bad sign.

    The build rules (ie makefiles etc) should also be in this repository.

    cheers,
    clive

  3. Re: Source Code Acquisition Plan

    On Sep 26, 7:31*pm, "Clive George" wrote:
    > wrote in message

    > >I am required to make a plan for Transfer of Souce Code from
    > >a company. The code would be comprising of AIX application
    > >and DELPHI as front end.

    > >It is a big system with hundreds of modules and certianly
    > >millions of line of code.

    > >I need some mechanism/plan that shall take care of all the
    > >nitty gritty of project

    > >意umber of Modules
    > >嵩ompiling Criteria (Module vise or Complete Project)
    > >愚akefile Structure
    > >愚akefile Independence
    > >嵩ompile-Time (Module vise or Complete Project)
    > >意umber of files
    > >感re-compiled Libraries
    > >感re-compiled Libraries (AIX + DELPHI + 3rd Party)

    > Shouldn't this be covered by a simple transfer of the source code repository
    > (CVS/SVN/whatever they've used)? If the code isn't in one of these that'sa
    > really bad sign.
    >
    > The build rules (ie makefiles etc) should also be in this repository.
    >
    > cheers,
    > clive

    Thanks for the reply, Actually what I need is to have a detailed
    plan that shall describe the every step for source code migration.

    As a matter of fact we need to make an in-house development
    system, and for the purpose we want to be sure that the code we
    are getting is the most updated and workable for our development
    force to get with.

    I was wondering how the big companies do it once they are agreed
    to merge themselves e.g Microsft has acquired lots of software
    companies and their products to integrate those products in Windows
    Operating System.

    Thanks

    Sara

  4. Re: Source Code Acquisition Plan

    wrote in message
    On Sep 26, 7:31 pm, "Clive George" wrote:
    >> wrote in message

    >> >I am required to make a plan for Transfer of Souce Code from
    >> >a company. The code would be comprising of AIX application
    >> >and DELPHI as front end.

    >> >It is a big system with hundreds of modules and certianly
    >> >millions of line of code.

    >> >I need some mechanism/plan that shall take care of all the
    >> >nitty gritty of project

    >> >意umber of Modules
    >> >嵩ompiling Criteria (Module vise or Complete Project)
    >> >愚akefile Structure
    >> >愚akefile Independence
    >> >嵩ompile-Time (Module vise or Complete Project)
    >> >意umber of files
    >> >感re-compiled Libraries
    >> >感re-compiled Libraries (AIX + DELPHI + 3rd Party)

    >> Shouldn't this be covered by a simple transfer of the source code
    >> repository
    >> (CVS/SVN/whatever they've used)? If the code isn't in one of these that's
    >> really bad sign.
    >>
    >> The build rules (ie makefiles etc) should also be in this repository.

    >Thanks for the reply, Actually what I need is to have a detailed
    >plan that shall describe the every step for source code migration.
    >
    >As a matter of fact we need to make an in-house development
    >system, and for the purpose we want to be sure that the code we
    >are getting is the most updated and workable for our development
    >force to get with.
    >
    >I was wondering how the big companies do it once they are agreed
    >to merge themselves e.g Microsft has acquired lots of software
    >companies and their products to integrate those products in Windows
    >Operating System.

    I'd bet the big companies do it by acquiring the people as well as the
    software. That is the key to successful transfer. Could be in the form of
    hiring some of the developers, could be in the form of consultancy
    agreements.

    Those people ought to have the best idea of what's required to build the
    system.

    Let's consider some projects. Imagine you've just bought GCC (yes, I know
    that's not actually possible :-) ). How are you going to do the transfer?
    Ans : Get hold of the source code repository, and use it.

    You haven't mentioned what source code repository you want to use, and what
    your system currently resides on. Knowing this is an important first step,
    because your transfer tasks will depend entirely on this.

    Must admit, I'm still flummoxed by the level of complication you're applying
    to the problem. The answer is "get the source code, get the documentation,
    ensure you can build the system". The first step is hopefully a file copy -
    if it's worse, then you're in trouble from the start. The second is subject
    to huge amounts of variation. If you're hiring the developers, it's not
    hugely important. If you're taking the thing over with no people transfer,
    it's vital - though it depends on how good your team are. The third step
    follows naturally from the first two.

    I would not attempt to write such a plan without knowing what I needed to do
    first - so you really need to do the task before you can plan it :-)

    cheers,
    clive

+ Reply to Thread