Regarding core files. - Aix

This is a discussion on Regarding core files. - Aix ; Hello, I have a process (called A) which has a message queue and and its job to read the messages from this queue and process them. The issue is, this message queue has become full and process A got asserted ...

  1. Regarding core files.

    Hello,

    I have a process (called A) which has a message queue and
    and its job to read the messages from this queue and process them. The
    issue is, this message queue has become full and process A got
    asserted when some other aplication is trying to put a message in its
    message queue which is already full. I have a core file of process
    'A'. I wanted to know the messages which are presently there in its
    message queue.
    Does my core file contains this message queue information
    and the content of all messages in the message queue also?
    If yes, how do I decode them? Is there any dbx command for
    this?

    Thanks in advance.

    Regads,
    Nari.

  2. Re: Regarding core files.

    nari writes:

    > I have a process (called A) which has a message queue and
    > and its job to read the messages from this queue and process them. The

    Message queue as in SysV IPC, or some other message queue?

    > issue is, this message queue has become full and process A got
    > asserted when some other aplication is trying to put a message in its
    > message queue which is already full.

    For SysV IPC your description makes no sense: the sender should
    have blocked on a full queue, and the receiver shouldn't have
    assert()ed.

    > I have a core file of process
    > 'A'. I wanted to know the messages which are presently there in its
    > message queue.
    > Does my core file contains this message queue information
    > and the content of all messages in the message queue also?

    If SysV IPC, then likely no -- the messages are sitting in kernel buffers.

    If user-level home-grown message queue, the likely yes, but since
    we don't know anything about it, how could we possibly answer?

    Cheers,
    Remove /-nsp/ for email.

+ Reply to Thread