HMC requried to power up a power6 ? - Aix

This is a discussion on HMC requried to power up a power6 ? - Aix ; I am not quite sure about but i think i have read some where that for certain p6 machines an ACTIVE HMC connection is required for power up. Meaning: No hmc - no startup of the p6 machine. Does sombody ...

  1. HMC requried to power up a power6 ?

    I am not quite sure about but i think i have read some where that for
    certain p6 machines an ACTIVE HMC connection is required for power
    up. Meaning: No hmc - no startup of the p6 machine.

    Does sombody knows about it and/or can give a link?

    tia
    Hajo

  2. Re: HMC requried to power up a power6 ?

    In article ,
    Hajo Ehlers writes:
    > I am not quite sure about but i think i have read some where that for
    > certain p6 machines an ACTIVE HMC connection is required for power
    > up. Meaning: No hmc - no startup of the p6 machine.
    >
    > Does sombody knows about it and/or can give a link?

    I don't know if this would apply to your case,
    but I have equipped a Power520 with GXT145, mouse and keyboard
    and installed it as workstation (can't use it that way
    due to its noise level). Moved it into the server room,
    and it booted without gfx, mouse, keyboard. No HMC.
    Since then it works (although too slow for my taste).

  3. Re: HMC requried to power up a power6 ?

    Frame based server had always needed a HMC:
    Power4 based 670 and 690
    Power5 based 590 and 595
    Power6 based 590 and 595

+ Reply to Thread