Searching for AIX 4.1.5 Update for Apple Network Server - Aix

This is a discussion on Searching for AIX 4.1.5 Update for Apple Network Server - Aix ; As the title states already I'm looking for Apple's AIX 4.1.5 Update / Upgrade for the short lived series of Apple Network Servers (not to be mixed up with their Workgroup Servers). Although it's basically an OS from IBM, Apple ...

  1. Searching for AIX 4.1.5 Update for Apple Network Server

    As the title states already I'm looking for Apple's AIX 4.1.5 Update /
    Upgrade for the short lived series of Apple Network Servers (not to be
    mixed up with their Workgroup Servers). Although it's basically an OS
    from IBM, Apple modified it for their own needs, so regular AIX 4.1.5
    Installs / Updates from IBM won't work. In Addition I'm looking for
    the Macintosh Utilities for the Apple Network Server, a bundle of two
    utilities: a special terminal application and a little programm for
    volume management within AIX running on regular Macs. Last but not
    (the) least I'm after the "IBM AppleShare Fileserver" software for
    AIX. Any hint or reply is appreciated! Thanks in advance!

  2. Re: Searching for AIX 4.1.5 Update for Apple Network Server

    jl@blackmac.ch wrote:
    > As the title states already I'm looking for Apple's AIX 4.1.5 Update /
    > Upgrade for the short lived series of Apple Network Servers (not to be
    > mixed up with their Workgroup Servers). Although it's basically an OS
    > from IBM, Apple modified it for their own needs, so regular AIX 4.1.5
    > Installs / Updates from IBM won't work.

    Did you already try the Motorola flavor of 4.1.5 or the Bull release
    for their Estrella 200/300 machines? If I'm not mistaken, it should
    work on the ANS out of the box.

    Martin
    --
    "For the Snark's a peculiar creature, that won't
    Be caught in a commonplace way.

  3. Re: Searching for AIX 4.1.5 Update for Apple Network Server

    Thanks for the first reply!

    I'm pretty sure that these won't work as Apple made some changes to
    the installation routines of that AIX version. In addition only
    Apple's version contains some drivers for Apple specific hardware I
    could need, so this is why I'm looking for this very speical
    version.... Seems to be a holy grail quest

  4. Re: Searching for AIX 4.1.5 Update for Apple Network Server

    jl@blackmac.ch wrote:
    > Thanks for the first reply!
    >
    > I'm pretty sure that these won't work as Apple made some changes to
    > the installation routines of that AIX version.

    ....and so did Bull and Motorola, to get it working on the PReP hardware.
    The ANS were PReP based like the Motorola Powerstack IIs and the Bull
    Estrella, so I assume there's a good chance to get one of these AIX
    versions working.
    Maybe without ADB keyboards and mice, but otherwise, the hardware
    should work just fine.

    I can only speak for Bull AIX on a Motorola Powerstack and Motorola
    AIX on a Bull Estrella. Worked fine for me in both cases.

    > In addition only
    > Apple's version contains some drivers for Apple specific hardware I
    > could need, so this is why I'm looking for this very speical
    > version.... Seems to be a holy grail quest

    What about Eric Carlson or Stian Oksavik? Looks like they stopped
    updating their ANS webpages some two or three years ago, but have
    you tried contacting them already? Maybe they can help you out.

    Martin

    --
    "For the Snark's a peculiar creature, that won't
    Be caught in a commonplace way.
    Do all that you know, and try all that you don't;
    Not a chance must be wasted to-day!"

  5. Re: Searching for AIX 4.1.5 Update for Apple Network Server

    Hello Martin.

    I already contacted both but Ive not been lucky by getting any
    feedback. In the meantime I found AIX 4.1.5 for the ANS - but Im
    still missing the Macintosh Utilities (once provided as floppy disk
    with the AIX package) and - which is of major interest - Apples
    distribution fixes. These fixes (Apple-specific and not comparable to
    IBM fixes) have been once provided for free as download from an Apple
    FTP site which is closed by now.

    I read some internet articles from writes who once tried to install
    fixes / updates from different companies (like Bull or IBM) in order
    to use other / newer hardware or even trying to update to AIX 4.3
    (which was never offered for the ANS) - they all miserably failed so I
    m pretty sure by now that other fixes not from Apple wont work.