mount cifs - Aix

This is a discussion on mount cifs - Aix ; Hi, I try to mount a windows share from an AIX 5.3 I get the following error can you help me ? Thanks in advance U22:root:/#mount -v cifs -n cb010526/test/test1234 -o wrkgrp=fr1,fmode=750,uid=200,gid=201 /work /tmp_mnt There was an error connecting the ...

  1. mount cifs

    Hi,

    I try to mount a windows share
    from an AIX 5.3
    I get the following error
    can you help me ?
    Thanks in advance

    U22:root:/#mount -v cifs -n cb010526/test/test1234 -o
    wrkgrp=fr1,fmode=750,uid=200,gid=201 /work /tmp_mnt
    There was an error connecting the share or the server.
    Make sure the lsdev command shows that device nsmb0 is in
    the Available state. Also make sure that the share name,
    user name and password are accurate.

  2. Re: mount cifs

    astalavista schrieb:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I try to mount a windows share
    > from an AIX 5.3
    > I get the following error
    > can you help me ?
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > U22:root:/#mount -v cifs -n cb010526/test/test1234 -o
    > wrkgrp=fr1,fmode=750,uid=200,gid=201 /work /tmp_mnt
    > There was an error connecting the share or the server.
    > Make sure the lsdev command shows that device nsmb0 is in
    > the Available state. Also make sure that the share name,
    > user name and password are accurate.

    Hi,

    according to my experience it looks like that CIFS on AIX is only able to
    produce one and only one error message - and this is the eone you see. It gives
    no hint what really the problem is. In allmost all cases the hint given by the
    error messages (nsmb0) does not lead to the solution (OK - there is a
    communication error message too).

    That said, i just have some hints and/or questions.

    - Are you going through any firewall ? If yes, take into account that CIFS on
    AIX does NOT make use of port 445, which nowadays is used on Windows for
    sharing, but it requires plain old 137-139 port triple (which one exactly is
    required for the mount, i never tried to figured out) to be open. But 445 is not
    working (to my experience).

    - Your password may be wrong. Double check on Windows.

    - Your Windows account may be locked.

    - Check permissions of your user "test" on the shared directory on Windows. The
    user may be not allowed to access the shared directory.

    - Are you using an ADS on your Windows system to authenticate the user "test" ?
    If yes - try to create a local (to Windows) user account and try again.

    - (This is not the case): The share name MUST not be longer than 8 characters
    (at least i found as a solution for a mount problem).

    - May be "/work" is wrong. I do not use "/" for the shared fs to be mounted from
    Windows. Don't know, whether this is the problem. Try:
    mount -v cifs -n cb010526/test/test1234 -o wrkgrp=fr1,fmode=750,uid=200,gid=201
    work /tmp_mnt

    Reagards,
    Uwe Auer

+ Reply to Thread