Avoiding unintended shutdowns - Aix

This is a discussion on Avoiding unintended shutdowns - Aix ; Hello all! After one of my collegues shut down a production LPAR unintentionally, because he typed the shutdown command into the wrong putty window, I have been thinking about ways how to avoid this in the future. Here is what ...

  1. Avoiding unintended shutdowns

    Hello all!

    After one of my collegues shut down a production LPAR
    unintentionally, because he typed the shutdown command
    into the wrong putty window, I have been thinking about
    ways how to avoid this in the future.

    Here is what has come to mind so far:

    Putting a skript into the PATH wich prints a warning
    and a windowish 'Do you really..' before calling the real
    shutdown command.

    Banner in MOTD warning everybody who logs in, that this
    a production machine.

    Allowing logins only through xterm sessions and colouring
    the xterm's background.

    Anything else I might try?

    Regards,
    uwe

  2. Re: Avoiding unintended shutdowns

    Uwe Weber wrote:
    > Hello all!
    >
    > After one of my collegues shut down a production LPAR
    > unintentionally, because he typed the shutdown command
    > into the wrong putty window, I have been thinking about
    > ways how to avoid this in the future.
    >
    > Here is what has come to mind so far:
    >
    > Putting a skript into the PATH wich prints a warning
    > and a windowish 'Do you really..' before calling the real
    > shutdown command.
    >
    > Banner in MOTD warning everybody who logs in, that this
    > a production machine.
    >
    > Allowing logins only through xterm sessions and colouring
    > the xterm's background.
    >
    > Anything else I might try?
    >
    > Regards,
    > uwe

    If the person is supposed to be allowed to issue the shutdown command than
    none of these may work. People habitually respond to the "Are you sure"
    question because they wouldn't be there if they wouldn't want to do it.

    I would have the script display the name of the current machine and its
    production status and require the user to reply with the name of the machine
    to shutdown before allowing it to proceed.

    Putting it into the path can work if others won't directly adresss it in /usr/sbin.

    Also /usr/sbin/shutdown (at least on aix 5.2 and 4.3) is a korn shell script.
    You can rename the shutdown command (or make a copy of it while placing
    restrictions on the original) and modify the copy to do the above.

    Regards
    Sol

  3. Re: Avoiding unintended shutdowns

    On Sep 22, 12:09*pm, Uwe Weber wrote:
    > Hello all!
    >
    > After one of my collegues shut down a production LPAR
    > unintentionally, because he typed the shutdown command
    > into the wrong putty window, I have been thinking about
    > ways how to avoid this in the future.
    >
    > Here is what has come to mind so far:
    >
    > Putting a skript into the PATH wich prints a warning
    > and a windowish 'Do you really..' before calling the real
    > shutdown command.
    >
    > Banner in MOTD warning everybody who logs in, that this
    > a production machine.
    >
    > Allowing logins only through xterm sessions and colouring
    > the xterm's background.
    >
    > Anything else I might try?
    >
    > Regards,
    > uwe

    You could put any of your suggestions in the /etc/rc.shutdown file
    (and make it executable) and that way they can abort the shutdown if
    they did it accidentally. Just make sure that if they abort the
    shutdown then /etc/rc.shutdown must exit with status of 1 or the
    shutdown command will still run as normal.

    Regards
    Shawn

+ Reply to Thread