Changing block size on on tape drive gives 0514-038 - Aix

This is a discussion on Changing block size on on tape drive gives 0514-038 - Aix ; I'm running AIX 5.3 TL5. If I try to change the block size on the SCSI tape drive with the command: chdev -l 'rmt0' -a block_size='0' I get the error: Method error (/etc/methods/chggen): 0514-038 Error loading kernel extension. And the ...

  1. Changing block size on on tape drive gives 0514-038

    I'm running AIX 5.3 TL5.

    If I try to change the block size on the SCSI tape drive with the
    command:

    chdev -l 'rmt0' -a block_size='0'

    I get the error:

    Method error (/etc/methods/chggen):
    0514-038 Error loading kernel extension.

    And the tape drive goes from available to defined. Rebooted allows
    the tape drive to go back to available but I really need the block
    size to be zero.

    Any ideas?

  2. Re: Changing block size on on tape drive gives 0514-038

    On Sep 19, 9:06 pm, "prich...@blm.gov" wrote:
    > I'm running AIX 5.3 TL5.
    >
    > If I try to change the block size on the SCSI tape drive with the
    > command:
    >
    > chdev -l 'rmt0' -a block_size='0'
    >
    > I get the error:
    >
    > Method error (/etc/methods/chggen):
    > 0514-038 Error loading kernel extension.
    >
    > And the tape drive goes from available to defined. Rebooted allows
    > the tape drive to go back to available but I really need the block
    > size to be zero.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Not really but
    - Have check the errpt
    - Is the tape device connect via san thus what kind of tape drive is
    it
    - Is the tape drive usable anyhow
    - Since the drive is available after a reboot - does some program
    ( maybe from /etc/inittab ) does an unload of the kernel extension

    cheers
    Hajo

  3. Re: Changing block size on on tape drive gives 0514-038

    I solved it. The tape drive is on a scsi chain in a robot. Veritas
    Netbackup had a scsi device called /dev/ovpass0. I removed /dev/
    ovpass0 with the command /usr/openv/volmgr/bin/driver/remove_ovpass.
    Set the block size. Then rebuilt /dev/ovpass0 using /usr/openv/volmgr/
    bin/goodies/vmconf.

    Sorry for the alarm. I've been messing with Netbackup and robots on
    AIX for 10 years and I had not run into this before. Perhaps I never
    wanted to reset the block size on the robots tape drive before.

+ Reply to Thread