New secure password hash algorithms on AIX 6.1 - Aix

This is a discussion on New secure password hash algorithms on AIX 6.1 - Aix ; Hi, I created an user on an AIX 6.1 box. I had set the configuration in /etc/security/login.cfg such that SSHA-1 would be used for password hashing. Now I am trying to write a program which will verify the password entered ...

  1. New secure password hash algorithms on AIX 6.1

    Hi,

    I created an user on an AIX 6.1 box.

    I had set the configuration in /etc/security/login.cfg such that
    SSHA-1 would be used for password hashing.

    Now I am trying to write a program which will verify the password
    entered by the user with the stored password hash. but i am not able
    to device it as i don't know how the SSHA-1 algorithm works.

    i see the following as the stored password has:

    {ssha1}06$JcBuCWY2GaHrLwc0$JXfeozdbk9dAVxj8xpxpqCZ T..N

    the 'IBM AIX Version 6.1 Differences Guide' says the following format
    for hashed passwords:

    ({ssha1}nn$salt$hashed_str)

    what is the significance of 'nn'?
    does anybody know the algorithm for SSHA-1?

    any help is greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Mehul

  2. Re: New secure password hash algorithms on AIX 6.1

    Solved!!!

    The crypt () call itself is enough.

    The correct way is to pass '{ssha1}$nn$salt$' as SALT to the crypt
    call. Earlier I was extracting the $salt$ from the above string and
    thatís why it didnít work.
    i.e. to authenticate 'ssha1' user with stored password:
    {ssha1}06$JcBuCWY2GaHrLwc0$JXfeozdbk9dAVxj8xpxpqCZ T..N

    I should pass '{ssha1}06$JcBuCWY2GaHrLwc0$' as salt to crypt ().

    Mehul

+ Reply to Thread