Problem with fix for DNS Cache Poisoning - Aix

This is a discussion on Problem with fix for DNS Cache Poisoning - Aix ; We were having a problem after installing the fix for the DNS Cache Poisoning Vulnerability? We installed APAR IZ26667 on AIX 5.2 (oslevel -r --> 5200-08). We are running named8. Then we noticed that named8 was no longer running. We ...

  1. Problem with fix for DNS Cache Poisoning

    We were having a problem after installing the fix for the DNS Cache Poisoning
    Vulnerability? We installed APAR IZ26667 on AIX 5.2 (oslevel -r --> 5200-08).

    We are running named8.
    Then we noticed that named8 was no longer running.
    We would start it and it would be stopped a while later.

    When we ran it as "named8 -f -d 1", it churned along throwing output to the
    console display with no problem.

    When we ran it as "named8 -d 1" it generates /var/tmp/named.run and stops
    after a while, always with this type of message at the end of the log:
    evDeselectFD(fd 7, mask 0x1)
    opensocket_f: bind([0.0.0.0].37): The socket name is already in use.

    We undid the fix and the problem went away.
    Is anyone else having such issues?
    What did you do to fix it?

    Thank you
    sol

  2. Re: Problem with fix for DNS Cache Poisoning

    On Sep 18, 7:56 pm, sol gongola wrote:
    > We were having a problem after installing the fix for the DNS Cache Poisoning
    > Vulnerability? We installed APAR IZ26667 on AIX 5.2 (oslevel -r --> 5200-08).
    >
    > We are running named8.
    > Then we noticed that named8 was no longer running.
    > We would start it and it would be stopped a while later.
    >
    > When we ran it as "named8 -f -d 1", it churned along throwing output to the
    > console display with no problem.
    >
    > When we ran it as "named8 -d 1" it generates /var/tmp/named.run and stops
    > after a while, always with this type of message at the end of the log:
    > evDeselectFD(fd 7, mask 0x1)
    > opensocket_f: bind([0.0.0.0].37): The socket name is already in use.

    I do not really know much about bind but have you checked /etc/
    services.
    I ask because it tries to bind to port 37 and not port 53

    So in case the default port shall be used and the /etc/services file
    is OK i would try the -p option

    From
    man bind
    -pPortNumber
    Reassigns the Internet socket where the named8 daemon
    listens for DOMAIN requests. If this variable is not specified, the
    named8 daemon listens to the socket defined in the /etc/services
    file; the entry in the /etc/services file begins with domain

    hth
    Hajo

+ Reply to Thread