How to release resources from an lpar - Aix

This is a discussion on How to release resources from an lpar - Aix ; Hello, We have a request to release cpu and memory from an lpar which is not going to be used for a few months. We do not want to delete the lpar from the hmc, just release all the cpu ...

  1. How to release resources from an lpar

    Hello,
    We have a request to release cpu and memory from an lpar which is not
    going to be used for a few months. We do not want to delete the lpar
    from the hmc, just release all the cpu and memory.

    Even though the lpar is shutdown it does not release the resources
    into the available pool. It has 1 cpu and 12Gb memory. Whenever I try
    to update the profile with 0 cpu and 0 mem it fails with minimum
    required msgs. We have 2 other inactive lpars with 0 cpu and 0 mem
    allocated. Not sure how this was accomplished.
    How do I release these resources from this inactive lpar so that the
    managed system properties show it has no cpu or mem assigned?
    This is a p590 with firmware version 240_338 and HMC 6.1.3.
    Thanks.

  2. Re: How to release resources from an lpar

    steven.mcnicholas@gmail.com schrieb:
    > Hello,
    > We have a request to release cpu and memory from an lpar which is not
    > going to be used for a few months. We do not want to delete the lpar
    > from the hmc, just release all the cpu and memory.
    >
    > Even though the lpar is shutdown it does not release the resources
    > into the available pool. It has 1 cpu and 12Gb memory. Whenever I try
    > to update the profile with 0 cpu and 0 mem it fails with minimum
    > required msgs. We have 2 other inactive lpars with 0 cpu and 0 mem
    > allocated. Not sure how this was accomplished.
    > How do I release these resources from this inactive lpar so that the
    > managed system properties show it has no cpu or mem assigned?
    > This is a p590 with firmware version 240_338 and HMC 6.1.3.
    > Thanks.

    Hi,

    why do want the profile to be changed to 0 for cpu and mem ?
    If the LPAR is down, resources are not used and can be used by any other LPAR.
    If all your resources are used by other LPARs, the effect is that your unused
    LPAR wuill not start, since the profiles requirements cannot be fullfilled by
    the managed system any more.

    (May be you can achieve want you want, by adding resources as "desired" and
    removing from "required" settings. Just an idea - not tested)

    Regards,
    Uwe Auer

  3. Re: How to release resources from an lpar

    I guess you don't understand IBM Power partitioning completely.

    In HMC managed systems -like all p5 and p6 590 an 595 servers- LPARs
    release all their resources completely on shutdown. Always.
    In IVM managed systems -like some p5 and p6 servers without HMCs-
    LPARs never release their resources while defined, even when shutdown.
    Never.

    Ramon Barrios Lascar
    CATE
    Author of 14 books on System p, AIX, HMC, System Storage technologies
    on spanish language.

  4. Re: How to release resources from an lpar

    On Sep 18, 8:49*am, ColombianJoker
    wrote:
    > I guess you don't understand IBM Power partitioning completely.
    >
    > In HMC managed systems -like all p5 and p6 590 an 595 servers- LPARs
    > release all their resources completely on shutdown. Always.
    > In IVM managed systems -like some p5 and p6 servers without HMCs-
    > LPARs never release their resources while defined, even when shutdown.
    > Never.
    >
    > Ramon Barrios Lascar
    > CATE
    > Author of 14 books on System p, AIX, HMC, System Storage technologies
    > on spanish language.

  5. Re: How to release resources from an lpar

    wrote:
    > I guess you don't understand IBM Power partitioning completely.
    >
    > In HMC managed systems -like all p5 and p6 590 an 595 servers- LPARs
    > release all their resources completely on shutdown. Always.
    > In IVM managed systems -like some p5 and p6 servers without HMCs-
    > LPARs never release their resources while defined, even when shutdown.
    > Never.
    >
    > Ramon Barrios Lascar
    > CATE
    > Author of 14 books on System p, AIX, HMC, System Storage technologies
    > on spanish language.

    In this case the lpar never released it's resources when it was
    inactive. Eventually we gave up and after documenting the lpar
    properties we deleted it. Only then did it release it's cpu and
    memory.

    Ramos, I guess from only translating books you don't really get to
    know the technology?

    Steven McNicholas
    CATE

  6. Re: How to release resources from an lpar

    steven.mcnicholas@gmail.com wrote:

    > Ramos, I guess from only translating books you don't really get to
    > know the technology?

    ... or you don't fully know what you're working with. as has been stated,
    when an lpar is shut down completely (equivalent to 'powering off' an
    lpar) its resources are released back to the system.. at least, my
    direct experience with power4 and power5 based lpars (upar and
    non-upar). i believe power6 introduces the concept of multiple pools of
    CPU resources (don't have any yet) so i can see the case where one
    pool's resources may not be visible by another pool even if pool1 has no
    active partitions... but pretty much unless you stray from defaults a
    system is either up and using resources or down and not.

    ... and if you had two other inactive lpars with 0 cpu/0 mem defined you
    either were looking at their shut-down status or you have hit some sort
    of bug with defining partition profiles on the hmc.

    -r

  7. Re: How to release resources from an lpar

    Mr Steven, I don't translate books. I have three IBM p servers, here,
    in my home lab: One Power3 (44P-170), one p4 (630 6E4), one p6 (520
    8203-E4A), then, I can test all the things I write in my books. And, I
    installed some of the bigger IBM p/AIX installations in my country,
    Colombia. Just in july I setup and installed a cluster with twelve
    fully equipped 560Q (p5), with uDLPAR and DS8100, with two HMCs. I
    know about I'm talking. Or you have some error in your configuration
    or some bug in your hardware/firmware because like everybody has told
    you here: shotdown LPARs in HMC managed systems don't consume
    resources: nor RAM, nor CPU, nor I/O Adapters.

    Ramon Barrios
    Cheers!

  8. Re: How to release resources from an lpar

    Steven,

    I'm not a CATE (still CSE :-( ) but from my point of view I agree with
    Ramon.

    It is not possibile for the LPAR to occupy resources when they are in
    "Not Activated" state. Unless you have some problems with the
    firmware...

    Were you talking about "System Properties" (e.g.: when you see from
    the menu if there is or not available memory/CPUs) or you actually
    tried to start another -new- partition and it failed?
    From my recent experience (POWER6) I have seen that it is impossible
    to give 0CPU and 0memory to an LPAR. If the "occupying" partition is
    not active obviously the new LPAR deployed will take assigned resource
    that is available on that moment in the system.
    The thing was done just for reporting (to read the "real" value of
    available RAM from menu and not to start new LPARs, and you cannot
    assign less than 0.1CPU and the smallest RAM block size to an LPAR.
    You say you have 2 other LPARs with 0CPU and 0RAM, I thought it was
    impossible to realize...so it's a new thing for me.

    Tom

  9. Re: How to release resources from an lpar

    HI

    I know this is an old thread but its the only one I can find that describes my situation exactly.
    I have seen in the past that when I shutdown an LPAR , i.e Not Activated status, I can then dlpar its memory and cpu resources to other activated partitions. When I do this I see the processing unit and memory numbers go down for the "not activated" partition. This happens until the not activated partition has 0 processing units and 0 memory. Currently have 3 old lpars with 0/0

    However today I have shutdown two lpars but their memory/cpu resources are not being freed up for allocation to other lpars. I don't want to delete these lpars just yet.

    I know I could -reactivate them on minimum mem and cpu requirements to free up the majority of resources but its strange the resources are not available for allocation anyway.
    I'm running HMC 7.3.5 SP2 and the system in question is a 9117-570 running SF240_332

    Any ideas?

    Cheers

+ Reply to Thread