CIFS and AIX shares? - Aix

This is a discussion on CIFS and AIX shares? - Aix ; Hi -- When we migrated to a new AIX 5.3 box, we didn't install SAMBA on it, choosing instead to use the built-in CIFS system to get to the Windows shares that AIX needed to get to. But there are ...

  1. CIFS and AIX shares?

    Hi --

    When we migrated to a new AIX 5.3 box, we didn't install SAMBA on it,
    choosing instead to use the built-in CIFS system to get to the Windows
    shares that AIX needed to get to.

    But there are a few AIX shares that the Windows servers need to get to as
    well. And I can't figure out how to set up these directories so that they'll
    be visible to Windows.

    How do I set up a CIFS share on an AIX server so that it can be accessed by
    a Windows box?

    Thanks,
    CL

  2. Re: CIFS and AIX shares?

    Charles Lavin schrieb:
    > Hi --
    >
    > When we migrated to a new AIX 5.3 box, we didn't install SAMBA on it,
    > choosing instead to use the built-in CIFS system to get to the Windows
    > shares that AIX needed to get to.
    >
    > But there are a few AIX shares that the Windows servers need to get to as
    > well. And I can't figure out how to set up these directories so that they'll
    > be visible to Windows.
    >
    > How do I set up a CIFS share on an AIX server so that it can be accessed by
    > a Windows box?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > CL

    Hi,

    looks like you got a misunderstanding. AIX does not support *export* shares
    (filesystem) to Windows machines using CIFS/SMB protocol natively. To achive
    sharing AIX filesystem *to* Windows servers you need either:
    - SAMBA on AIX (then using CIFS/SMB protocol) *or*
    - some NFS Client Software on Windows (the using NFS protocol)

    The story is different, if you want *import* CIFS filesystem *from* a Windows
    Server. This is supported by AIX natively by using mount option "-v cifs".

    Regards,
    Uwe Auer

  3. Re: CIFS and AIX shares?

    Like was explained, AIX has an integrated CIFS *client* but not a CIFS
    *server*.
    Try installing Samba (from your chosen opensource repository) or
    FastConnect (an IBM Product, with a demo on the AIX media).

  4. Re: CIFS and AIX shares?

    Ah ...

    Back to Samba, then ...

    It's just as well. Those CIFS shares keep dismounting for no really good
    reason ...

    Thanks to both of you!

    "ColombianJoker" wrote in message
    > Like was explained, AIX has an integrated CIFS *client* but not a CIFS
    > *server*.
    > Try installing Samba (from your chosen opensource repository) or
    > FastConnect (an IBM Product, with a demo on the AIX media).

+ Reply to Thread