Stop AIX from releasing its lease at shutdown - Aix

This is a discussion on Stop AIX from releasing its lease at shutdown - Aix ; Hi all, I know it looks like heretic to all but I would like to have the same behavior between Windows and AIX clients. Windows clients don't release their lease. AIX follows the RFC but I would like to keep ...

  1. Stop AIX from releasing its lease at shutdown

    Hi all,

    I know it looks like heretic to all but I would like to have the same
    behavior between Windows and AIX clients.
    Windows clients don't release their lease. AIX follows the RFC but I
    would like to keep the lease going so AIX clients won't change their
    IP.

    The guilty part is the stopsrc -s dhcpcd during the halt process.
    Any idea how to tell AIX : don't release it ?

    Thansk in advance, Thomas.

  2. Re: Stop AIX from releasing its lease at shutdown

    On Sep 16, 8:54 am, H4mm3r wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I know it looks like heretic to all but I would like to have the same
    > behavior between Windows and AIX clients.
    > Windows clients don't release their lease. AIX follows the RFC but I
    > would like to keep the lease going so AIX clients won't change their
    > IP.
    >
    > The guilty part is the stopsrc -s dhcpcd during the halt process.
    > Any idea how to tell AIX : don't release it ?

    Its not done on the client side. The dhcp server must be configured in
    such a way that a given mac gets a given ip .
    If an unlimited lease is required you need the option "option 51
    0xffffffff" .

    all afaik
    Hajo

  3. Re: Stop AIX from releasing its lease at shutdown

    On 16 sep, 09:07, Hajo Ehlers wrote:
    > On Sep 16, 8:54 am, H4mm3r wrote:> Hi all,
    >
    > > I know it looks like heretic to all but I would like to have the same
    > > behavior between Windows and AIX clients.
    > > Windows clients don't release their lease. AIX follows the RFC but I
    > > would like to keep the lease going so AIX clients won't change their
    > > IP.

    > > The guilty part is the stopsrc -s dhcpcd during the halt process.
    > > Any idea how to tell AIX : don't release it ?

    > Its not done on the client side. The dhcp server must be configured in
    > such a way that a given mac gets a given ip .
    > If an unlimited lease is required you need *the option "option 51
    > 0xffffffff" .
    >
    > all afaik
    > Hajo

    Which means that my DNS could be not updated since the lease is
    endless.

    I chose to kill dhcpcd before srcmgr launches the stopsrc dhcpcd.

    Thanks anyway, Thomas.

+ Reply to Thread