CPU, memory RTE monitoring script - Aix

This is a discussion on CPU, memory RTE monitoring script - Aix ; Hi, does anyone has a script (possibly perl or shell) to monitor CPU, memory etc on run time ? I have written some scripts but they run on a pre-defined time i.e from cron or autosys. I want to put ...

  1. CPU, memory RTE monitoring script

    Hi,

    does anyone has a script (possibly perl or shell) to monitor CPU,
    memory etc on run time ? I have written some scripts but they run on a
    pre-defined time i.e from cron or autosys. I want to put something at
    kernel level which alerts us whenever CPU starts going high.

    idea on how to write would also be helpful, I can then write it in
    perl or shell.

    cheers...

  2. Re: CPU, memory RTE monitoring script

    Abhi wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > does anyone has a script (possibly perl or shell) to monitor CPU,
    > memory etc on run time ? I have written some scripts but they run on a
    > pre-defined time i.e from cron or autosys. I want to put something at
    > kernel level which alerts us whenever CPU starts going high.
    >
    > idea on how to write would also be helpful, I can then write it in
    > perl or shell.
    >
    > cheers...

    for a start search the IBM website for "RMC", which is the monitoring
    built into aix, also look at "errnotify", a mechanism for automating
    error log reporting. These are basic building blocks for writing your
    own monitoring solution.

    If you are more interested in reporting (which in contrast to monitoring
    does not include means of having alerts sent under predifined conditions
    and the like):

    IBM also has a solution for performance reporting which to my knowledge
    is neither supported nor publicly available but is very helpful (built
    on nmon, rrdtool etc.). Ask your IBM reps for "smooth start".

    and there is ganglia, opensource originally for reporting of hpc
    clusters, but with IBM POWER extensions written by Michael Perzl ->
    www.perzl.org
    Takes some reading to make yourself aquainted, but is worth the effort.

    And of course there are plenty of commercial solutions.

    good luck
    J. Gann

  3. Re: CPU, memory RTE monitoring script

    On Sep 12, 12:34*am, Joachim Gann wrote:
    > Abhi wrote:
    > > Hi,

    > > does anyone has a script (possibly perl or shell) to monitor CPU,
    > > memory etc on run time ? I have written some scripts but they run on a
    > > pre-defined time i.e from cron or autosys. I want to put something at
    > > kernel level which alerts us whenever CPU starts going high.

    > > idea on how to write would also be helpful, I can then write it in
    > > perl or shell.

    > > cheers...

    > for a start search the IBM website for "RMC", which is the monitoring
    > built into aix, also look at "errnotify", a mechanism for automating
    > error log reporting. These are basic building blocks for writing your
    > own monitoring solution.
    >
    > If you are more interested in reporting (which in contrast to monitoring
    > does not include means of having alerts sent under predifined conditions
    > and the like):
    >
    > IBM also has a solution for performance reporting which to my knowledge
    > is neither supported nor publicly available but is very helpful (built
    > on nmon, rrdtool etc.). Ask your IBM reps for "smooth start".
    >
    > and there is ganglia, opensource originally for reporting of hpc
    > clusters, but with IBM POWER extensions written by Michael Perzl ->www.perzl.org
    > Takes some reading to make yourself aquainted, but is worth the effort.
    >
    > And of course there are plenty of commercial solutions.
    >
    > good luck
    > J. Gann

    Thanks for your reply J. I already have installed Ganglia into our
    setup but the Ganglia is more of a visual monitoring. You cannot setup
    notification in ganglia. Are you aware of any version of Ganglia which
    has notification ? or any trigger which can execute an external
    script ?

    I will check-out the other options you mentioned. Thanks again for
    your reply.

    cheers...

+ Reply to Thread