Physical Volumes - Space Allocated Vs Space used by data. - Aix

This is a discussion on Physical Volumes - Space Allocated Vs Space used by data. - Aix ; The prtconf command shows the physical volumes allocated to a volume group. Does "FREE PPs" indicate the number of physical partitions that have not been allocated to a file system or the number of partitions that have free space? The ...

  1. Physical Volumes - Space Allocated Vs Space used by data.

    The prtconf command shows the physical volumes allocated to a volume
    group.
    Does "FREE PPs" indicate the number of physical partitions that have
    not been
    allocated to a file system or the number of partitions that have free
    space?

    The reason I ask is that this volume group has 2856 partitions of
    which 108 are
    free which is about 3.7%. On the other hand the output from "df -g"
    for the
    file systems assigned to this VG show 40% free space and not 3.7%.

    Each physical partition is 128 megabytes.

    Total Partitions 2856 * 128 365,568,000,000
    Free partitions 106 * 128 13,568,000,000

    myvg:
    PV_NAME PV STATE TOTAL PPs FREE PPs FREE
    DISTRIBUTION
    hdisk17 active 68 0
    00..00..00..00..00
    hdisk22 active 68 0
    00..00..00..00..00
    hdisk25 active 272 0
    00..00..00..00..00
    hdisk26 active 272 0
    00..00..00..00..00
    hdisk27 active 272 0
    00..00..00..00..00
    hdisk28 active 272 0
    00..00..00..00..00
    hdisk29 active 272 76
    00..00..00..21..55
    hdisk31 active 272 0
    00..00..00..00..00
    hdisk32 active 272 0
    00..00..00..00..00
    hdisk33 active 272 0
    00..00..00..00..00
    hdisk34 active 272 0
    00..00..00..00..00
    hdisk35 active 272 32
    00..00..00..00..32

  2. Re: Physical Volumes - Space Allocated Vs Space used by data.

    Patrick Finnegan wrote:
    > The prtconf command shows the physical volumes allocated to a volume
    > group.
    > Does "FREE PPs" indicate the number of physical partitions that have
    > not been
    > allocated to a file system or the number of partitions that have free
    > space?

    the former. FREE PPs indicate the number of PPs that have not been
    allocated to LVs to be exact. Once a PP has been allocated to an LV it
    is not free anymore from an LVM perspective. Regardless of whatever
    filesystem or raw data or even "free space" the LV will contain on a
    higher level of storage.

  3. Re: Physical Volumes - Space Allocated Vs Space used by data.

    On Sep 8, 10:56*am, Joachim Gann wrote:
    > Patrick Finnegan wrote:
    > > The prtconf command shows the physical volumes allocated to a volume
    > > group.
    > > Does "FREE PPs" indicate the number of physical partitions that have
    > > not been
    > > allocated to a file system or the number of partitions that have free
    > > space?

    > the former. FREE PPs indicate the number of PPs that have not been
    > allocated to LVs to be exact. Once a PP has been allocated to an LV it
    > is not free anymore from an LVM perspective. Regardless of whatever
    > filesystem or raw data or even "free space" the LV will contain on a
    > higher level of storage.

    Good answer.

    Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread