java 6 installation fixes on aix 5.3 - Aix

This is a discussion on java 6 installation fixes on aix 5.3 - Aix ; I want to install java 6 on aix 5.3 (currently java 1.4.1 is installed). I had looked these web pages: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/ja...x/service.html http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/ja..._64.fixes.html I have some cpp programs on the same aix computer. Will those java fixes change the OS so ...

  1. java 6 installation fixes on aix 5.3

    I want to install java 6 on aix 5.3 (currently java 1.4.1 is
    installed).
    I had looked these web pages:
    http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/ja...x/service.html
    http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/ja..._64.fixes.html

    I have some cpp programs on the same aix computer.
    Will those java fixes change the OS so that the cpp programs may not
    compile?
    Should I clone the hard disk before I apply the java fixes?

  2. Re: java 6 installation fixes on aix 5.3

    On Sep 3, 4:40 pm, TsanChung wrote:
    > I want to install java 6 on aix 5.3 (currently java 1.4.1 is
    > installed).
    > I had looked these web pages:http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/ja..._64.fixes.html
    >
    > I have some cpp programs on the same aix computer.
    > Will those java fixes change the OS so that the cpp programs may not
    > compile?
    > Should I clone the hard disk before I apply the java fixes?

    You do not apply a 'java fix'. You are going to install a complete
    additional Java version. Since this install should not overwrite or
    change your environment your path settings decide with version will be
    used.
    Should be somewhere in the docs.

    hth
    Hajo

  3. Re: java 6 installation fixes on aix 5.3

    TsanChung wrote:
    > I want to install java 6 on aix 5.3 (currently java 1.4.1 is
    > installed).
    > I had looked these web pages:
    > http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/ja...x/service.html
    > http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/ja..._64.fixes.html
    >
    > I have some cpp programs on the same aix computer.
    > Will those java fixes change the OS so that the cpp programs may not
    > compile?
    > Should I clone the hard disk before I apply the java fixes?

    Hajo's reply is correct. The Java packages do not affect libc,
    the kernel, etc; the basic OS will be unaffected.

    You can, if you like install 1.4, 5 and 6 side by side on the same
    system, including both 32-bit and 64-bit versions. No worries;
    it's all good.

+ Reply to Thread