automatic action after file transfer/close - Aix

This is a discussion on automatic action after file transfer/close - Aix ; I'm looking for a way to automatically copy a file from one location to another after a file close. Essentially, when a file is ftp-ed (sftp) to a home directory in a chroot jail, once the transfer is completed, it ...

  1. automatic action after file transfer/close

    I'm looking for a way to automatically copy a file from one location
    to another after a file close. Essentially, when a file is ftp-ed
    (sftp) to a home directory in a chroot jail,
    once the transfer is completed, it would be automatically copied to a
    new location so
    it can be processed by a later scheduled production job is what I'm
    wanting to do.
    I know there are "dataset" close options in various scheduling
    products like appworx
    so I know its being done, I just need to do it without the scheduling
    software.
    Any one have a script/program/gnu software that does this kind of
    thing?
    Environment is AIX 5300-06-03-0732.

    Thanks,

    Ron

  2. Re: automatic action after file transfer/close

    On Sep 2, 7:52*pm, Ron wrote:
    > I'm looking for a way to automatically copy a file from one location
    > to another after a file close. *Essentially, when a file is ftp-ed
    > (sftp) to a home directory in a chroot jail,
    > once the transfer is completed, it would be automatically copied to a
    > new location so
    > it can be processed by a later scheduled production job is what I'm
    > wanting to do.
    > I know there are "dataset" close options in various scheduling
    > products like appworx
    > so I know its being done, I just need to do it without the scheduling
    > software.
    > Any one have a script/program/gnu software that does this kind of
    > thing?
    > Environment is AIX 5300-06-03-0732.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Ron

    There is a a real easy way: Once the script ftp-ing the file has done
    the ftp, then ftp another file of zero size called mainftpcomplete or
    something like that. You can have a job on the other machine waiting
    for the appearance of mainftpcomplete file. Once it sees it it knows
    the first file transfer has finished. Then it can remove the 2nd file
    ( aka flag file ) then process the main file. Easy peasy.

  3. Re: automatic action after file transfer/close

    On Sep 5, 6:11*am, bozo wrote:
    > On Sep 2, 7:52*pm, Ron wrote:
    >

    > > I'm looking for a way to automatically copy a file from one location
    > > to another after a file close. *Essentially, when a file is ftp-ed
    > > (sftp) to a home directory in a chroot jail,
    > > once the transfer is completed, it would be automatically copied to a
    > > new location so
    > > it can be processed by a later scheduled production job is what I'm
    > > wanting to do.
    > > I know there are "dataset" close options in various scheduling
    > > products like appworx
    > > so I know its being done, I just need to do it without the scheduling
    > > software.
    > > Any one have a script/program/gnu software that does this kind of
    > > thing?
    > > Environment is AIX 5300-06-03-0732.

    > > Thanks,

    > > Ron

    > There is a a real easy way: Once the script ftp-ing the file has done
    > the ftp, then ftp another file of zero size called mainftpcomplete or
    > something like that. You can have a job on the other machine waiting
    > for the appearance of mainftpcomplete file. Once it sees it it knows
    > the first file transfer has finished. Then it can remove the 2nd file
    > ( aka flag file ) then process the main file. Easy peasy.

    Thanks for the reply. I've been out of town and slow on the response,
    but we have to many different files (100's) and different users for
    this to easily work. Partly just the education of the users, but
    thats proved difficult in the past for to many of them. We have moved
    on in a different direction
    at this point.

  4. Re: automatic action after file transfer/close

    Ron wrote:

    >> > I'm looking for a way to automatically copy a file from one location
    >> > to another after a file close. *Essentially, when a file is ftp-ed
    >> > (sftp) to a home directory in a chroot jail,
    >> > once the transfer is completed, it would be automatically copied to a
    >> > new location so
    >> > it can be processed by a later scheduled production job is what I'm
    >> > wanting to do.

    Transfer to temporary name on remote.
    When successful then rename to production name.

    Mike

+ Reply to Thread