Subversion for AIX: What do people want? - Aix

This is a discussion on Subversion for AIX: What do people want? - Aix ; Hi People, I've almost gotten subversion 1.5.x being compiled and built correctly, but I've got a few questions around the lines of what do people want/expect. Firstly, what versions of AIX do you need? 5.1+, 5.2+, 5.3+ or 6.1 only? ...

  1. Subversion for AIX: What do people want?

    Hi People,

    I've almost gotten subversion 1.5.x being compiled and built
    correctly, but I've got a few questions around the lines of what do
    people want/expect.

    Firstly, what versions of AIX do you need? 5.1+, 5.2+, 5.3+ or 6.1
    only?

    Is a tarball ok, or would you prefer a bff file?

    [This is the most critical]
    What external dependencies are people ok with?
    Currently I'm pulling in some pware dependencies (which limits me to
    aix 5.3). Can I rely or require others to have this in place? Or can
    I just depend on /opt/freeware? The package in question in this
    instance is libintl (unless I disable NLS support).

    Do I need libintl - internationalization support?

    I only use subversion via HTTP, so that is a given, but to others use
    it locally (file://) or via the SVN protocol?

    I've (bent over backwards) to get the pware httpd working with the
    current 1.4.6 subversion binaries (again, primarily libintl was the
    culprit - svn looking for libintl.so.1 and pware supplying libintl.so.
    8 [from memory]). What are others looking for?

    Any other comments/questions etc?

    TIA,

    -Chris

  2. Re: Subversion for AIX: What do people want?

    chr...@warpspeed.com.au wrote:

    > Hi People,
    >
    > I've almost gotten subversion 1.5.x being compiled and built
    > correctly, but I've got a few questions around the lines of what do
    > people want/expect.

    Oh, forgot to ask.

    Where is a good palce to put it. The existing 1.4.6 binaries are
    distributed as a tarball that is extracted into /opt/subversion.

    Do people want to go over the top of that?

    Or would /opt/subversion-1.5.0 be more appropriate?

    That allows for future /opt/subversion-1.5.2 etc...

    -Chris

  3. Re: Subversion for AIX: What do people want?

    chrisg@warpspeed.com.au writes:
    >Is a tarball ok, or would you prefer a bff file?

    A lot of AIX sysadmins like bffs. There a package management tool
    called epm that you can configure to create everything from a pkg
    to a depot (including bff) for arbitrary packages...

    -Mike

  4. Re: Subversion for AIX: What do people want?

    chrisg@warpspeed.com.au schrieb:
    > Hi People,
    >
    > I've almost gotten subversion 1.5.x being compiled and built
    > correctly,

    congratulation.

    > but I've got a few questions around the lines of what do
    > people want/expect.
    >
    > Firstly, what versions of AIX do you need? 5.1+, 5.2+, 5.3+ or 6.1
    > only?

    from 3.2 onwards.
    OK, just kidding. I guess 5.2 is still in productive use.

    > Is a tarball ok, or would you prefer a bff file?

    Depends. The usual bin,man,lib,include directories
    packed as tar.Z can be installed just everywhere,
    even on a non-AIX fileserver.
    The bff's OTOH are under smit control and thus
    easier to install.

    > [This is the most critical]
    > What external dependencies are people ok with?

    As few as possible. None is best.
    It's bad enough that for each
    piece of software one has to install the whole
    plethora of gnu stuff.

    > Currently I'm pulling in some pware dependencies (which limits me to
    > aix 5.3). Can I rely or require others to have this in place?

    No.

    > Or can
    > I just depend on /opt/freeware?

    This could be empty.

    > The package in question in this
    > instance is libintl (unless I disable NLS support).
    >
    > Do I need libintl - internationalization support?

    We code in English, don't we ?

    > I only use subversion via HTTP, so that is a given, but to others use
    > it locally (file://) or via the SVN protocol?
    >
    > I've (bent over backwards) to get the pware httpd working with the
    > current 1.4.6 subversion binaries (again, primarily libintl was the
    > culprit - svn looking for libintl.so.1 and pware supplying libintl.so.
    > 8 [from memory]). What are others looking for?
    >
    > Any other comments/questions etc?

    Link it static, so we don't have to track down the gazillion
    of .so's.

    > TIA,
    >
    > -Chris

    thanks for your efforts.

  5. Re: Subversion for AIX: What do people want?

    On Sep 2, 10:04*am, Michael Kraemer wrote:
    > chr...@warpspeed.com.au schrieb:
    >
    > > I've (bent over backwards) to get the pware httpd working with the
    > > current 1.4.6 subversion binaries (again, primarily libintl was the
    > > culprit - svn looking for libintl.so.1 and pware supplying libintl.so.
    > > 8 [from memory]). What are others looking for?

    > > Any other comments/questions etc?

    > Link it static, so we don't have to track down the gazillion
    > of .so's.
    >
    > > TIA,

    > > -Chris

    > thanks for your efforts.

    Thanks. It's driven me nuts. Thank you very much for your comments.

    I'll probably target 5.1 and above (if I can get the ssl stuff to
    work).

    I think that I have to keep it dynamic, as my primary aim is to get it
    working with Apache (which is how I use it) - every thing else will
    'come along with it for free' as it were.

    I'll try to keep the dependencies to a minimum. There have been
    changes from 1.4.6 to 1.5.x, as in 1.4.6 they included libssl whereas
    with 1.5.x they don't.

    Including things like that is both good and bad, and like all things
    it is a tradeoff.

    By including it, it allows everything to be nicely self contained.
    But, they you have the issue of keeping up with updates, which is
    particularly important when it comes to security software.

    By not including it, I have to contend with all of the linkage issues,
    but it allows the user to keep most current - so long as the ABI is
    not broken.

    I need to get it working. I've got it compiling, linking and running
    (to some extent) currently, but without an SSL, which really, makes it
    next to useless.

    -Chris

  6. Re: Subversion for AIX: What do people want?

    On Sep 4, 1:12 am, chr...@warpspeed.com.au wrote:
    > On Sep 2, 10:04 am, Michael Kraemer wrote:
    >

    > > chr...@warpspeed.com.au schrieb:

    > > > I've (bent over backwards) to get the pware httpd working with the
    > > > current 1.4.6 subversion binaries (again, primarily libintl was the
    > > > culprit - svn looking for libintl.so.1 and pware supplying libintl.so.
    > > > 8 [from memory]). What are others looking for?

    > > > Any other comments/questions etc?

    > > Link it static, so we don't have to track down the gazillion
    > > of .so's.

    > > > TIA,

    > > > -Chris

    > > thanks for your efforts.

    > Thanks. It's driven me nuts. Thank you very much for your comments.
    >
    > I'll probably target 5.1 and above (if I can get the ssl stuff to
    > work).
    >
    > I think that I have to keep it dynamic, as my primary aim is to get it
    > working with Apache (which is how I use it) - every thing else will
    > 'come along with it for free' as it were.
    >
    > I'll try to keep the dependencies to a minimum. There have been
    > changes from 1.4.6 to 1.5.x, as in 1.4.6 they included libssl whereas
    > with 1.5.x they don't.
    >
    > Including things like that is both good and bad, and like all things
    > it is a tradeoff.
    >
    > By including it, it allows everything to be nicely self contained.
    > But, they you have the issue of keeping up with updates, which is
    > particularly important when it comes to security software.
    >
    > By not including it, I have to contend with all of the linkage issues,
    > but it allows the user to keep most current - so long as the ABI is
    > not broken.
    >
    > I need to get it working. I've got it compiling, linking and running
    > (to some extent) currently, but without an SSL, which really, makes it
    > next to useless.
    >
    > -Chris

    nice job. I gave up and created a Subversion repository on a Ubuntu
    desktop. I just worked

+ Reply to Thread