Removal of sparse file settings - Aix

This is a discussion on Removal of sparse file settings - Aix ; Hi there, Does any of You how to remove the 'Sparse file' settings on a jfs2 filesystem? I got a problem (or my sap dbs's does) We've got a jfs2 filesystem, the sap adm user, and the oracle adm user ...

  1. Removal of sparse file settings

    Hi there,

    Does any of You how to remove the 'Sparse file' settings on a jfs2
    filesystem?

    I got a problem (or my sap dbs's does)
    We've got a jfs2 filesystem, the sap adm user, and the oracle adm user
    got 'unlimited' settings, like this:

    time(seconds) unlimited
    file(blocks) unlimited
    data(kbytes) unlimited
    stack(kbytes) unlimited
    memory(kbytes) unlimited
    coredump(blocks) unlimited
    nofiles(descriptors) unlimited

    I can see that the filesystem is using 'sparse files', but how it got
    that setting, I don't know..

    The sap administrator is trying to do an export, but got problems:

    (EXP) ERROR: DbSlExeRead failed
    rc = 99, table "/BIC/EZDLV_C01"
    (SQL error 1116)
    error message returned by DbSl:
    ORA-01116: error in opening database file 3015
    ORA-01110: data file 3015:
    '/unicode/Q22/extratemp/extratemp_1/extra_temp.data1'
    ORA-27092: size of file exceeds file size limit of the process
    Additional information: 262143
    Additional information: 2621441
    (DB) INFO: disconnected from DB

    The file ‘extra_temp.data1' has a size of 20GB. It really looks like
    that there any limitation on the OS level for the file size. On the
    S22/U22 it was not a problem to handle file in this size.

    I was able, at root and as the sap adm user, to create a file at 3GB, in
    the same filesystem, so I can't see that I've got an OS problem - or do
    I ??????

    Could it be because the filesystem is using 'Sparse files' ? and how do
    I remove this setting again from the filesystem ????

    Hope anyone can help me, since I'm bombarded with this problem all day long.

    Thanks,

    Gitte Tøgersen
    AIX system Administrator

  2. Re: Removal of sparse file settings

    Since you changed your ulimit settings for the DB Database owner
    userid, have you stopped Oracle, logged out and back in to pick up the
    new settings ans started Oracle again ? still get your issue ?

    Rgds
    Mark Taylor

+ Reply to Thread