Cannot importvg - Aix

This is a discussion on Cannot importvg - Aix ; Hi, I try to transfert disk from one machineA (AIX5.1) to another machineB (AIX5.3) with SAN EMC. on machineA - umount - unmasking on machineB: - masking: OK - cfgmgr: OK => new disks - when I try to importvg ...

  1. Cannot importvg

    Hi,

    I try to transfert disk from one machineA (AIX5.1) to another machineB
    (AIX5.3)
    with SAN EMC.
    on machineA
    - umount
    - unmasking

    on machineB:
    - masking: OK
    - cfgmgr: OK => new disks
    - when I try to importvg I have the error below:
    what is wrong ?
    Thanks

    #importvg -f -y testvg hdiskpower5
    0516-024 lqueryvg: Unable to open physical volume.
    Either PV was not configured or could not be opened. Run
    diagnostics.
    0516-024 lqueryvg: Unable to open physical volume.
    Either PV was not configured or could not be opened. Run
    diagnostics.
    0516-1140 importvg: Unable to read the volume group descriptor area
    on specified physical volume.

  2. Re: Cannot importvg

    astalavista schrieb:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I try to transfert disk from one machineA (AIX5.1) to another machineB
    > (AIX5.3)
    > with SAN EMC.
    > on machineA
    > - umount
    > - unmasking

    Not sure what this unmasking may be, but there ia a varyoffvg missing.
    And if you don't plan to put the disks/VG back to this system in the
    future, an exportvg would be a good idea too.

    > on machineB:
    > - masking: OK
    > - cfgmgr: OK => new disks
    > - when I try to importvg I have the error below:
    > what is wrong ?
    > Thanks
    >
    > #importvg -f -y testvg hdiskpower5
    > 0516-024 lqueryvg: Unable to open physical volume.
    > Either PV was not configured or could not be opened. Run
    > diagnostics.
    > 0516-024 lqueryvg: Unable to open physical volume.
    > Either PV was not configured or could not be opened. Run
    > diagnostics.
    > 0516-1140 importvg: Unable to read the volume group descriptor area
    > on specified physical volume.

    could there still be a reservation on the disks the varyoffvg on
    the 5.1 system would have cleared? Check the errpt -a. See if
    the EMC software provides some command to list and break reservations.

  3. Re: Cannot importvg

    On Aug 25, 5:10*pm, Thomas Braunbeck
    wrote:
    > astalavista schrieb:> Hi,
    >
    > > I try to transfert disk from one machineA (AIX5.1) to another machineB
    > > (AIX5.3)
    > > with SAN EMC.
    > > on machineA
    > > - umount
    > > - unmasking

    > Not sure what this unmasking may be, but there ia a varyoffvg missing.
    > And if you don't plan to put the disks/VG back to this system in the
    > future, an exportvg would be a good idea too.
    >

    > > on machineB:
    > > - masking: OK
    > > - cfgmgr: OK => new disks
    > > - when I try to importvg I have the error below:
    > > what is wrong ?
    > > Thanks

    > > #importvg -f -y testvg hdiskpower5
    > > 0516-024 lqueryvg: Unable to open physical volume.
    > > * * * * Either PV was not configured or could not be opened. Run
    > > * * * * diagnostics.
    > > 0516-024 lqueryvg: Unable to open physical volume.
    > > * * * * Either PV was not configured or could not be opened. Run
    > > * * * * diagnostics.
    > > 0516-1140 importvg: Unable to read the volume group descriptor area
    > > * * * * on specified physical volume.

    > could there still be a reservation on the disks the varyoffvg on
    > the 5.1 system would have cleared? Check the errpt -a. See if
    > the EMC software provides some command to list and break reservations.- Hide quoted text -

    I'm also nat familiar with "unmasking" but one of the things I found
    clears up a lot of these issues is to remove/recreate all the EMC
    devices and re-import the volume group. Here is a little script we've
    used for years.

    Good Luck - Steve

    #
    # rm powerdisk device files
    #
    lsdev -Cc disk|grep hdiskpower|awk '{print $1}'|while read hdiskpower
    do
    echo "rmdev -dl $hdiskpower"
    rmdev -dl $hdiskpower
    if [ $? -ne 0 ]
    then
    echo "rmdev -dl $hdiskpower failed"
    exit 1
    fi
    done

    #
    # rm EMC device files
    #
    lsdev -Cc disk|grep EMC|awk '{print $1}'|while read emcdisk
    do
    echo "rmdev -dl $emcdisk"
    rmdev -dl $emcdisk
    if [ $? -ne 0 ]