Maintenance partition - Aix

This is a discussion on Maintenance partition - Aix ; Hi, In a P55A, I have a partition that I can't drop it is a maintenance partition... What is the utility of maintenance partition ? I have other P55A with only one partition (not maintenance) Thanks for your help...

  1. Maintenance partition

    Hi,

    In a P55A, I have a partition that I can't drop
    it is a maintenance partition...
    What is the utility of maintenance partition ?
    I have other P55A with only one partition (not maintenance)

    Thanks for your help

  2. Re: Maintenance partition

    Hi
    anybody knows what is a maintenance partition ???

    "astalavista" a écrit dans le message de news:
    48b03464$0$31498$426a74cc@news.free.fr...
    > Hi,
    >
    > In a P55A, I have a partition that I can't drop
    > it is a maintenance partition...
    > What is the utility of maintenance partition ?
    > I have other P55A with only one partition (not maintenance)
    >
    > Thanks for your help

  3. Re: Maintenance partition

    On Sep 4, 7:50 am, "astalavista" wrote:
    > Hi
    > anybody knows what is a maintenance partition ???
    >
    > "astalavista" a écrit dans le message de news:
    > 48b03464$0$31498$426a7...@news.free.fr...
    >
    > > Hi,

    > > In a P55A, I have a partition that I can't drop
    > > it is a maintenance partition...
    > > What is the utility of maintenance partition ?
    > > I have other P55A with only one partition (not maintenance)

    > > Thanks for your help

    you're asking the wrong question. Include more detail

  4. Re: Maintenance partition

    Henry wrote:
    > On Sep 4, 7:50 am, "astalavista" wrote:
    >> Hi
    >> anybody knows what is a maintenance partition ???
    >>
    >> "astalavista" a écrit dans le message de news:
    >> 48b03464$0$31498$426a7...@news.free.fr...
    >>
    >>> Hi,
    >>> In a P55A, I have a partition that I can't drop
    >>> it is a maintenance partition...
    >>> What is the utility of maintenance partition ?
    >>> I have other P55A with only one partition (not maintenance)
    >>> Thanks for your help

    > you're asking the wrong question. Include more detail

    I think he's asking the right question. At least it sounds
    familiar.

    If "astalavista" wants to remove all partitions from a system,
    including maintenance partitions (which I had to do once when
    inheriting a system) use the HMC (version 7 for Power6 systems):

    Go to Systems Management, then Servers in the left navigation
    pane.

    Select your system in the upper right pane.

    In the Tasks section below that, go to Configuration, Manage Partition
    Data, then Delete.

    IIRC this is how you wipe out a system completely. Applicable when
    someone has created partition ID 1 and you don't like that, either.

    If I don't have this right, apologies. But I know that somwhere on the
    HMC you can wipe out a server and start over completely. You'll just
    have to find it in there somewhere.

+ Reply to Thread