Central Repository - File Distribution Question - Aix

This is a discussion on Central Repository - File Distribution Question - Aix ; What are other AIX sites using to keep scripts, cron jobs, printer definitions, etc. in-sync across multiple LPARs? We have 10 LPARs right now, not counting a NIM server which has yet to be built. When I've asked in other ...

  1. Central Repository - File Distribution Question

    What are other AIX sites using to keep scripts, cron jobs, printer
    definitions, etc. in-sync across multiple LPARs? We have 10 LPARs right
    now, not counting a NIM server which has yet to be built.

    When I've asked in other fora, about the only response I got involved
    RSYNC. We don't want to deal with NFS on that scale, so I'm looking for
    something uses RSH, SSH, RCP, SCP or ??? instead (preferably some SSL
    implementaion).

    The Central Repository could be on Windows or UN*X - doesn't matter to
    us.

    Anyone have any ideas?

    David J Dachtera
    Technical Analyst
    Northwestern Memorial Hospital
    Chicago, IL

    P.S.: I'm a long-time VMS jock returning to UN*X after 22 years.
    Apologies for any improper/unfamiliar terminology, etc.

  2. Re: Central Repository - File Distribution Question

    "David J Dachtera" wrote in message

    > What are other AIX sites using to keep scripts, cron jobs, printer
    > definitions, etc. in-sync across multiple LPARs? We have 10 LPARs right
    > now, not counting a NIM server which has yet to be built.
    >
    > When I've asked in other fora, about the only response I got involved
    > RSYNC. We don't want to deal with NFS on that scale, so I'm looking for
    > something uses RSH, SSH, RCP, SCP or ??? instead (preferably some SSL
    > implementaion).
    >
    > The Central Repository could be on Windows or UN*X - doesn't matter to
    > us.
    >
    > Anyone have any ideas?

    Classic perl problem innit?

    Language aside, you've got lots of things which need different ways of
    updating them. A central repository of scripts to do this is a great idea -
    either a simple directory or possibly something like CVS (depending on how
    concerned you are about what's in those scripts being visible vs managing
    updates). Then a master script which does all the relevant updates via SSH
    and SCP. You may want a "deployment" directory on your clients to put stuff
    in. Set up trusted keys between the various machines and the master so this
    becomes easy. And I'd have my central repository on a *nix box.

    I'm sure there must be a posh way of doing it, but the hacky script solution
    is probably what I'd do - and a posh solution may only be a wrapper round
    that anyway.

    cheers,
    clive

  3. Re: Central Repository - File Distribution Question

    David J Dachtera schrieb:
    > What are other AIX sites using to keep scripts, cron jobs, printer
    > definitions, etc. in-sync across multiple LPARs? We have 10 LPARs right
    > now, not counting a NIM server which has yet to be built.

    Take a look at CSM:
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...m.doc/csm.html
    For your specific requirement look for the cfmupdatenode command.
    However, CSM offers much more (config, setup, install, monitoring,
    HW control....). Best would be to make your NIM server the CSM
    server too. Included with the base AIX code is a 60-day try-and-buy
    license option for CSM. If you like it, buy it after the 60 days.

  4. Re: Central Repository - File Distribution Question

    David J Dachtera schrieb:
    > What are other AIX sites using to keep scripts, cron jobs, printer
    > definitions, etc. in-sync across multiple LPARs? We have 10 LPARs right
    > now, not counting a NIM server which has yet to be built.
    >
    > When I've asked in other fora, about the only response I got involved
    > RSYNC. We don't want to deal with NFS on that scale, so I'm looking for
    > something uses RSH, SSH, RCP, SCP or ??? instead (preferably some SSL
    > implementaion).
    >
    > The Central Repository could be on Windows or UN*X - doesn't matter to
    > us.
    >
    > Anyone have any ideas?
    >
    > David J Dachtera
    > Technical Analyst
    > Northwestern Memorial Hospital
    > Chicago, IL
    >
    > P.S.: I'm a long-time VMS jock returning to UN*X after 22 years.
    > Apologies for any improper/unfamiliar terminology, etc.

    Hi,

    what is the problem with RSYNC ? It is

    - not NFS based
    - SSH based

    BTW: I do use it on all of my NIM environments (4 HACMP clusters on 4 locations
    with about 500 clients)

    Regards,
    Uwe Auer

  5. Re: Central Repository - File Distribution Question

    Uwe Auer wrote:

    > David J Dachtera schrieb:
    > > What are other AIX sites using to keep scripts, cron jobs, printer
    > > definitions, etc. in-sync across multiple LPARs? We have 10 LPARs right
    > > now, not counting a NIM server which has yet to be built.
    > >
    > > When I've asked in other fora, about the only response I got involved
    > > RSYNC. We don't want to deal with NFS on that scale, so I'm looking for
    > > something uses RSH, SSH, RCP, SCP or ??? instead (preferably some SSL
    > > implementaion).
    > >
    > > The Central Repository could be on Windows or UN*X - doesn't matter to
    > > us.
    > >
    > > Anyone have any ideas?
    > >
    > > David J Dachtera
    > > Technical Analyst
    > > Northwestern Memorial Hospital
    > > Chicago, IL
    > >
    > > P.S.: I'm a long-time VMS jock returning to UN*X after 22 years.
    > > Apologies for any improper/unfamiliar terminology, etc.

    > Hi,
    >
    > what is the problem with RSYNC ? It is
    >
    > - not NFS based

    If that's the case, then my local source was misinformed or confused.

    > - SSH based
    >
    > BTW: I do use it on all of my NIM environments (4 HACMP clusters on 4 locations
    > with about 500 clients)

    Might you have a link to some information I could use? My search
    capabilities are a bit constrained due to technical issues just now.

    D.J.D.

  6. Re: Central Repository - File Distribution Question

    David J Dachtera schrieb:
    > Uwe Auer wrote:
    >> David J Dachtera schrieb:
    >>> What are other AIX sites using to keep scripts, cron jobs, printer
    >>> definitions, etc. in-sync across multiple LPARs? We have 10 LPARs right
    >>> now, not counting a NIM server which has yet to be built.
    >>>
    >>> When I've asked in other fora, about the only response I got involved
    >>> RSYNC. We don't want to deal with NFS on that scale, so I'm looking for
    >>> something uses RSH, SSH, RCP, SCP or ??? instead (preferably some SSL
    >>> implementaion).
    >>>
    >>> The Central Repository could be on Windows or UN*X - doesn't matter to
    >>> us.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone have any ideas?
    >>>
    >>> David J Dachtera
    >>> Technical Analyst
    >>> Northwestern Memorial Hospital
    >>> Chicago, IL
    >>>
    >>> P.S.: I'm a long-time VMS jock returning to UN*X after 22 years.
    >>> Apologies for any improper/unfamiliar terminology, etc.

    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> what is the problem with RSYNC ? It is
    >>
    >> - not NFS based

    > If that's the case, then my local source was misinformed or confused.

    Yes - that's the case. rsync can be considered as an "intelligent"
    replacement of scp, since it determines for you, what needs to be
    transferred to a remote destination and what is *not* needed to be
    transfered because of being already there. Using SSH keys allowes you to
    automate file/directory syncing based on cron schedules. If you try to
    implement an scp based solution, you would have to script the logic to
    avoid multiple transfers of the same at your own.

    >> - SSH based
    >>
    >> BTW: I do use it on all of my NIM environments (4 HACMP clusters on 4 locations
    >> with about 500 clients)

    > Might you have a link to some information I could use? My search
    > capabilities are a bit constrained due to technical issues just now.
    >
    > D.J.D.

    you may check http://rsync.samba.org for information about rsync.
    If you have any special questions please don't hesitate to contact me.
    You can find rsync on the AIX Toolbox for Linux Applications on:
    http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/p/os/a.../download.html

    Regards,
    Uwe Auer

  7. Re: Central Repository - File Distribution Question

    David J Dachtera wrote:
    > What are other AIX sites using to keep scripts, cron jobs, printer
    > definitions, etc. in-sync across multiple LPARs? We have 10 LPARs right
    > now, not counting a NIM server which has yet to be built.
    >
    > When I've asked in other fora, about the only response I got involved
    > RSYNC. We don't want to deal with NFS on that scale, so I'm looking for
    > something uses RSH, SSH, RCP, SCP or ??? instead (preferably some SSL
    > implementaion).
    >
    > The Central Repository could be on Windows or UN*X - doesn't matter to
    > us.
    >
    > Anyone have any ideas?
    >
    > David J Dachtera
    > Technical Analyst
    > Northwestern Memorial Hospital
    > Chicago, IL

    Hi!

    Rsync is a beautiful tool to distribute
    * large data
    * a lot of files
    * over a slow link

    of course it is working also perfect at fast interlinks with less data

    but i would try a other approach: why not using a common revision
    control system (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revision_control) like cvs
    or subversion. one central repository server and a lot of clients which
    can upload and download revisions to the server. The big benefit of such
    a system is the traceability of changes. And if you have troubles with a
    version, use a older one.

    The only exercise for you is how to start the update at the remote node.
    Typical you cant push new versions, but if you have a working systems
    management ...

    btw. the on board sccs should be the minimum protection of changeable files.

    just my 2 cent

    with best regards
    Dieter Stumpner

  8. Re: Central Repository - File Distribution Question

    "rdist" with the secure shell option.

    Brent

  9. Re: Central Repository - File Distribution Question

    I've setup a Subversion repository, it has been neither simple nor
    quick, but very valuable.
    I have written my own and plagurised many other peoples scripts to
    poke around each LPAR and then bundle up a tar ball and use SCP to
    send to my Ubuntu P/C where it's uncompressed, un-tarred and changes
    committed.
    CVS is OK, but I find Subversion more powerful.
    Subversion will run over SSH but I've not got around to compiling the
    AIX "client" version.
    I've since seen that "my" AIX sniff-around/audit script is almost
    redundant because the AIX package "AIXPert" seems to duplicate all the
    things I wanted to do. But I haven't got around to implementing this
    either

    Those would be my 2 suggestions. Central repository (on separate
    hardware) using Subversion and bundle up the output from AIXpert on a
    weekly basis and commit.

    HTH.

    David J Dachtera wrote:

    > What are other AIX sites using to keep scripts, cron jobs, printer
    > definitions, etc. in-sync across multiple LPARs? We have 10 LPARs right
    > now, not counting a NIM server which has yet to be built.
    >
    > When I've asked in other fora, about the only response I got involved
    > RSYNC. We don't want to deal with NFS on that scale, so I'm looking for
    > something uses RSH, SSH, RCP, SCP or ??? instead (preferably some SSL
    > implementaion).
    >
    > The Central Repository could be on Windows or UN*X - doesn't matter to
    > us.
    >
    > Anyone have any ideas?
    >
    > David J Dachtera
    > Technical Analyst
    > Northwestern Memorial Hospital
    > Chicago, IL
    >
    > P.S.: I'm a long-time VMS jock returning to UN*X after 22 years.
    > Apologies for any improper/unfamiliar terminology, etc.

  10. Re: Central Repository - File Distribution Question

    Henry schrieb:

    > CVS is OK, but I find Subversion more powerful.
    > Subversion will run over SSH but I've not got around to compiling the
    > AIX "client" version.

    I'd prefer less powerful but easier to setup.
    Subversion is a PITA on AIX.
    There's nothing wrong with CVS to keep a couple of script files.
    Keep it simple, keep it easy, I think this once was the
    Unix mantra.

  11. Re: Central Repository - File Distribution Question

    On Aug 20, 7:10 pm, Michael Kraemer wrote:
    > Henry schrieb:
    >
    > > CVS is OK, but I find Subversion more powerful.
    > > Subversion will run over SSH but I've not got around to compiling the
    > > AIX "client" version.

    > I'd prefer less powerful but easier to setup.
    > Subversion is a PITA on AIX.
    > There's nothing wrong with CVS to keep a couple of script files.
    > Keep it simple, keep it easy, I think this once was the
    > Unix mantra.

    I'm inclined to agree which is why I have my Subversion repository on
    Ubunutu - amazing little distro' "it just works"
    however, Subversion functionality knocks CVS into a ****ed hat.

+ Reply to Thread