aix users with no email - Aix

This is a discussion on aix users with no email - Aix ; Is there a simple way to set-up AIX user accounts so that they have no outside email (i.e. sendmail rejects incoming email traffic for these accounts)? Thanks....

  1. aix users with no email

    Is there a simple way to set-up AIX user accounts so that they have no
    outside email (i.e. sendmail rejects incoming email traffic for these
    accounts)?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: aix users with no email

    "djw" wrote in message
    > Is there a simple way to set-up AIX user accounts so that they have no
    > outside email (i.e. sendmail rejects incoming email traffic for these
    > accounts)?
    >
    > Thanks.

    As we do not use sendmail in our configuration, I wouldn't know how to
    configure it to deny certain users.
    What you could do if having the mail to those users forwarded to /dev/null
    via /etc/aliases.
    Alternatively, you could deactivate sendmail (if you can do without anyone
    receiving mail from outside the box).

    Mark

  3. Re: aix users with no email

    On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 10:07:30 -0700 (PDT), djw wrote:

    >Is there a simple way to set-up AIX user accounts so that they have no
    >outside email (i.e. sendmail rejects incoming email traffic for these
    >accounts)?
    >
    >Thanks.

    This is not exactly an AIX question, rather sednmail-related issue. At least in
    AIX 5.3 sendmail has a feature enabled in its configuration called
    'virtusertable'. It may be commended out in /etc/mail/sendmail.cf, so youhave
    to remove comment (a hash sign) from a line reading 'Kvirtuser hash
    /etc/mail/virtusertable'. Then you 'refresh -s sendmail' (or, maybe
    stopsrc/startsrc) and edit /etc/mail/vitrusertable, where you can map e-mail
    addresses to users or revert with an error message for a user that is not
    mail-enabled. You can either define all user who are mail-enabled (and put a
    default error action at the end of the file), or, opposite, list individually
    users who are NOT mail-enabled. Sample '/etc/mail/virtusertable' content may be:

    userA@company.com userA
    usernomail@company.com error: no such user here
    userB@anothercompany.com userB
    @company.com error: no such user here

    userA and userB are AIX users listed in /etc/passwd.
    The last line is 'default' action. After editing the file, do a 'makemap hash
    virtusertable.db

    AB

+ Reply to Thread