Need to understand SAN - Aix

This is a discussion on Need to understand SAN - Aix ; We have traditionally used NFS to share directories between 2 AIX servers. However if the directories were on a SAN would I need to use NFS? Can I access data on a SAN from 2 servers without NFS? As you ...

  1. Need to understand SAN

    We have traditionally used NFS to share directories between 2 AIX
    servers.

    However if the directories were on a SAN would I need to use NFS? Can
    I access data on a SAN from 2 servers without NFS?

    As you can tell I have no experience of SAN

  2. Re: Need to understand SAN

    On Aug 8, 12:57 pm, Loial wrote:
    > We have traditionally used NFS to share directories between 2 AIX
    > servers.
    >
    > However if the directories were on a SAN would I need to use NFS? Can
    > I access data on a SAN from 2 servers without NFS?

    Joky answer, you can but it will get funny after a while ...

    NFS is a shared network filesystem
    SAN is a shared network storage(Disk) system ( Storage Area Network )

    Please read:
    See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storage_area_network

    cheers
    Hajo

  3. Re: Need to understand SAN

    On Aug 8, 5:57*am, Loial wrote:
    > We have traditionally used NFS to share directories between 2 AIX
    > servers.
    >
    > However if the directories were on a SAN would I need to use NFS? Can
    > I access data on a SAN from 2 servers without NFS?
    >
    > As you can tell I have no experience of SAN

    You would need to use GPFS for this filesystem, I believe the license
    is approximately $5K per machine.

    Pete's

  4. Re: Need to understand SAN

    On Aug 8, 2:14*pm, "Pete's" wrote:
    > On Aug 8, 5:57*am, Loial wrote:
    >
    > > We have traditionally used NFS to share directories between 2 AIX
    > > servers.

    > > However if the directories were on a SAN would I need to use NFS? Can
    > > I access data on a SAN from 2 servers without NFS?

    > > As you can tell I have no experience of SAN

    > You would need to use GPFS for this filesystem, I believe the license
    > is approximately $5K per machine.
    >
    > Pete's

    You could use the architecture and speed of the SAN (normally fiber)
    with GPFS technology. (expensive tehcnology)
    On the other hand you could use either NFS, the problem is that the
    acces to the SAN is made by the nfs server and the others servers that
    are sharing the device need to connect to the SAN by the nfs server
    using the LAN. (cheaper technology)

    Better with a simple schema:

    server1________nfs(lan)____________server2
    | ________nfs(lan)____________server3
    | .
    | .
    |
    | (fiber)
    SAN

    So it's a matter of budget-performance.

    Regards.

  5. Re: Need to understand SAN

    "Loial" wrote in message
    > We have traditionally used NFS to share directories between 2 AIX
    > servers.
    >
    > However if the directories were on a SAN would I need to use NFS? Can
    > I access data on a SAN from 2 servers without NFS?
    >
    > As you can tell I have no experience of SAN

    Don't forget SAN and NAS are converging - many devices will do both. I've
    certainly had it recommended to me to not bother with LUNs at all and just
    use NFS mounts from the storage server.

    cheers,
    clive

  6. Re: Need to understand SAN

    On Aug 8, 8:10 am, "Clive George" wrote:
    > "Loial" wrote in message

    > > We have traditionally used NFS to share directories between 2 AIX
    > > servers.

    > > However if the directories were on a SAN would I need to use NFS? Can
    > > I access data on a SAN from 2 servers without NFS?

    > > As you can tell I have no experience of SAN

    > Don't forget SAN and NAS are converging - many devices will do both. I've
    > certainly had it recommended to me to not bother with LUNs at all and just
    > use NFS mounts from the storage server.
    >
    > cheers,
    > clive

    Having both systems access the same luns needs to be well planned
    out. Without some kind of lock manager for file access you can
    corrupt your data. Usually dual access revovles around using
    concurrent volume groups and a application locking system i.e oracle
    database have there own lock manangers so you can run in true
    concurrent mode. Its a common practice is use with hacmp for failover
    situtations. In your case sounds like your just trying to share data
    which still might be best suited via nfs or a backend NAS solution
    where NAS gateways frontend your san storage and share it out via nfs
    from there.

    -Mp

+ Reply to Thread