Printer Sharing - Aix

This is a discussion on Printer Sharing - Aix ; Have a P2P network of many computers, including 4 computers :- RS6000/AIX4.3, RS6000/AIX4.2, RS6000/aix4.3 and a RS6000/AIX3.2 . One of the RS6000/4.3's has connected to its parallel port a HP LaserJet 4 Plus. Would appreciate it if some one could ...

  1. Printer Sharing

    Have a P2P network of many computers, including 4 computers :-
    RS6000/AIX4.3, RS6000/AIX4.2, RS6000/aix4.3 and a RS6000/AIX3.2 .

    One of the RS6000/4.3's has connected to its parallel port a HP LaserJet 4
    Plus.

    Would appreciate it if some one could guide me to a set up procedure or
    Redbook to allow the AIX 4.3 computer with the HP 4+ to share it with the
    AIX 3.2, 4.2 and 4.3 computers.

    Thanks

  2. Re: Printer Sharing

    On Aug 8, 5:46 am, "Basil Holloway" wrote:
    > Have a P2P network of many computers, including 4 computers :-
    > RS6000/AIX4.3, RS6000/AIX4.2, RS6000/aix4.3 and a RS6000/AIX3.2 .
    >
    > One of the RS6000/4.3's has connected to its parallel port a HP LaserJet 4
    > Plus.
    >
    > Would appreciate it if some one could guide me to a set up procedure or
    > Redbook to allow the AIX 4.3 computer with the HP 4+ to share it with the
    > AIX 3.2, 4.2 and 4.3 computers.
    >
    > Thanks

    If your server that has the parallel printer is using virtual printer
    queues that are accessible using lp, qprt, or enq commands, then you
    should be able to do the following:

    ON THE AIX SERVER THAT HAS THE PRINTER:

    # smit server
    # # Add Print Access for a Remote Client
    # # # (Add the names of the other AIX servers in here or their IP
    addresses)
    # # Start the Print Server Subsystem (lpd daemon)

    ON THE OTHER AIX SERVERS:

    # smit mkpq
    # # Printer Attached to Remote Host
    # # Standard processing

    You should end up at this screen to add your printer queue:

    # Add a Standard Remote Print Queue
    # [Entry Fields]
    # * Name of QUEUE to add []
    # * HOSTNAME of remote server []
    # * Name of QUEUE on remote server []
    # Type of print spooler on remote server AIX Version 3
    or 4
    # Backend TIME OUT period (minutes) []
    # Send control file first? no
    # To turn on debugging, specify output []
    # file pathname
    # DESCRIPTION of printer on remote server []

    The "Name of QUEUE to add" is the name for the printer on the current
    AIX server.
    The "HOSTNAME of remote server" is the name or IP address of the
    remote AIX server that has the printer attached to it
    The "Name of QUEUE on remote server" is the name of the printer queue
    on the system where the printer is located.

    You will want to have the "lpd" spooler process running on both
    servers, and must not be blocking traffic on Service Port 515, which
    is the print spooler port.

  3. Re: Printer Sharing

    On Aug 8, 11:46 am, "Basil Holloway" wrote:
    > Have a P2P network of many computers, including 4 computers :-
    > RS6000/AIX4.3, RS6000/AIX4.2, RS6000/aix4.3 and a RS6000/AIX3.2 .
    >
    > One of the RS6000/4.3's has connected to its parallel port a HP LaserJet 4
    > Plus.
    >
    > Would appreciate it if some one could guide me to a set up procedure or
    > Redbook to allow the AIX 4.3 computer with the HP 4+ to share it with the
    > AIX 3.2, 4.2 and 4.3 computers.

    Its rewritten for AIX 5L but i think it should fit

    Printing for Fun and Profit under AIX 5L

    happy weekend
    Hajo

  4. Re: Printer Sharing

    Steven thanks for all the detail you went to in your reply, I really
    appreciate it.
    Hajo thanks for the link. I had printed out that pdf a while ago and read it
    a couple of times but it gets confusing for a newbie that lacks a lot of
    background knowledge.
    Using Steve's instructions set up
    7011-250 AIX 4.3 oldage with HP printer as the Printer Server it's queue
    HP4PCL
    7012-320 AIX 4.2 gargon as the Remote Client it's queque HP4PCLloc
    7012-370 burrin and 7009-C10 bmwaust I left out at this stage as I only have
    two monitors.
    To /etc/hosts.lpd and /etc/hosts.equiv on oldage added on three seperate
    lines
    gargon
    burrin
    bmwaust
    to each of the above hosts files.

    Opening /etc/hosts in a text editor on gargon hit print and nothing. It does
    not appear to have gotten across to the print queue on oldage.

    On gargon
    #/usr/lib/lpd/rembak -S oldage -P HP4PCL /etc/qconfig
    and it printed out okay on the HP printer attatched to oldage.

    As all the tests I could try from Hajo's reference worked and could print
    out qconfig I presume all communications are okay.
    The trouble appears from getting the file to print from HP4PCLloc on gargon
    to HP4PCL on oldage.

    Opening print manager in gargon from the desktop icon it says for a second
    HP4PCLloc In Service but alters it to Out of Service. Clicking on properties
    it says HP4PCLloc Out of Service but very interestingly it says Device
    HP4PCL on oldage up and In Service. It would seem Print Manager on gargon
    knows all about the printer on oldage.

    I have deleted the queue HP4PCLloc twice out of gargon and reinstalled it
    very carefully as cheching it in smit it does not show all the fields that
    had to be filled in on the initial set up. Could not work out the refresh
    command so when I did alterations on oldage or garegon allways did a
    #shutdown -r .

    That lpd dameon allways starts on boot up on oldage and gargon.

    Steve on oldage
    #lp -d HP4PCL /etc/hosts
    #enq -P HP4PCL /etc/hosts
    #qprt -P HP4PCL /etc/hosts
    all work okay so I guess that meets the first paragraph of your
    instructions.

    on
    gargon
    #lp -d HP4PCLloc /etc/hosts
    #enq -P HP4PCLloc /etc/hosts
    #qprt -P HP4PCLloc /etc/hosts
    sets the three print jods up on the HP4PCLloc queue in Print Manager but
    they are not printed out on oldage's HP printer.

    Any other tests to find where the trouble lies.

    Thanks
    Basil

  5. Re: Printer Sharing

    Basil Holloway schrieb:
    > Steven thanks for all the detail you went to in your reply, I really
    > appreciate it.
    > Hajo thanks for the link. I had printed out that pdf a while ago and read it
    > a couple of times but it gets confusing for a newbie that lacks a lot of
    > background knowledge.
    > Using Steve's instructions set up
    > 7011-250 AIX 4.3 oldage with HP printer as the Printer Server it's queue
    > HP4PCL
    > 7012-320 AIX 4.2 gargon as the Remote Client it's queque HP4PCLloc
    > 7012-370 burrin and 7009-C10 bmwaust I left out at this stage as I only have
    > two monitors.
    > To /etc/hosts.lpd and /etc/hosts.equiv on oldage added on three seperate
    > lines
    > gargon
    > burrin
    > bmwaust
    > to each of the above hosts files.
    >
    > Opening /etc/hosts in a text editor on gargon hit print and nothing. It does
    > not appear to have gotten across to the print queue on oldage.
    >
    > On gargon
    > #/usr/lib/lpd/rembak -S oldage -P HP4PCL /etc/qconfig
    > and it printed out okay on the HP printer attatched to oldage.
    >
    > As all the tests I could try from Hajo's reference worked and could print
    > out qconfig I presume all communications are okay.
    > The trouble appears from getting the file to print from HP4PCLloc on gargon
    > to HP4PCL on oldage.
    >
    > Opening print manager in gargon from the desktop icon it says for a second
    > HP4PCLloc In Service but alters it to Out of Service. Clicking on properties
    > it says HP4PCLloc Out of Service but very interestingly it says Device
    > HP4PCL on oldage up and In Service. It would seem Print Manager on gargon
    > knows all about the printer on oldage.
    >
    > I have deleted the queue HP4PCLloc twice out of gargon and reinstalled it
    > very carefully as cheching it in smit it does not show all the fields that
    > had to be filled in on the initial set up. Could not work out the refresh
    > command so when I did alterations on oldage or garegon allways did a
    > #shutdown -r .
    >
    > That lpd dameon allways starts on boot up on oldage and gargon.
    >
    > Steve on oldage
    > #lp -d HP4PCL /etc/hosts
    > #enq -P HP4PCL /etc/hosts
    > #qprt -P HP4PCL /etc/hosts
    > all work okay so I guess that meets the first paragraph of your
    > instructions.
    >
    > on
    > gargon
    > #lp -d HP4PCLloc /etc/hosts
    > #enq -P HP4PCLloc /etc/hosts
    > #qprt -P HP4PCLloc /etc/hosts
    > sets the three print jods up on the HP4PCLloc queue in Print Manager but
    > they are not printed out on oldage's HP printer.
    >
    > Any other tests to find where the trouble lies.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Basil

    Hi,

    First check, whether /var is (nearly) full and qdaemon (lssrc -s qdaemon) is
    running (lpd running is not sufficient if you enqueue print jobs using lp,enq or
    qprt. If I inteprete your post right then using "rembak" directly works. To my
    opinion, this is a strong indication that qdaemon is not running on gargon or
    /var is full.

    If these check does not solve your problem, then please provide the the output
    from following commands:

    on oldage:
    lsque -q HP4PCL
    lsquedev -q HP4PCL -d
    lsvirprt -q HP4PCL -d
    ( I assume is /dev/lp0)

    on gargon;
    lsque -q HP4PCLloc
    lsquedev -q HP4PCLloc -d
    lsvirprt -q HP4PCLloc -d
    ( I assume is something like @oldage)

    Regards,
    Uwe Auer

  6. Re: Printer Sharing

    "Uwe Auer" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > First check, whether /var is (nearly) full and qdaemon (lssrc -s qdaemon)
    > is running (lpd running is not sufficient if you enqueue print jobs using
    > lp,enq or qprt. If I inteprete your post right then using "rembak"
    > directly works. To my opinion, this is a strong indication that qdaemon is
    > not running on gargon or /var is full.
    >
    > If these check does not solve your problem, then please provide the the
    > output from following commands:
    >
    > on oldage:
    > lsque -q HP4PCL
    > lsquedev -q HP4PCL -d
    > lsvirprt -q HP4PCL -d
    > ( I assume is /dev/lp0)
    >
    > on gargon;
    > lsque -q HP4PCLloc
    > lsquedev -q HP4PCLloc -d
    > lsvirprt -q HP4PCLloc -d
    > ( I assume is something like @oldage)
    >
    > Regards,
    > Uwe Auer

    good'day Uwe

    Here are the answers to your points.
    /var on gargon #df shows 12872 blocks free 22% used 173 Iused 9% Iused
    #lssrc -s qdaemon shows status as active.
    "rembak" works but trying to print from a text editor still does not.

    on gargon;
    # lsque -q HP4PCLloc
    HP4PCLloc
    device = @oldage
    up = TRUE
    host = oldage
    s-statfilter = /usr/lib/lpd/aixshort
    l-statfilter = /usr/lib/lpd/aixlong
    rq = HP4PCL
    # lsquedev -q HP4PCLloc -d @oldage
    @ oldage
    backend = /usr/lib/lpd/rembak
    # lsvirprt -q HP4PCLloc -d @oldage
    Name Description Value
    __MIS MISCELLANEOUS
    ir (not used)
    mD Name of message catalog Containing Attribute pioattr1.cat
    Descriptors
    mL Printer Description HP LaserJet 4+
    md Output Data Stream Type (example: ascii); remote
    Initialized By "piodigest"
    mm File Name Of (Digested) Data Base; Init. By
    "piodigest" (mt.md.mn.mq:mv)
    mn Device name (example: lp0); Initialized By @oldage
    "piodigest"
    mq Queue Name; Initialized By "piodigest" HP4PCLloc
    mt Printer type; Initialized By "piodigest" remote
    mv Virtual Printer (i.e., queue device) Name; @oldage
    Initialized By "piodigest"
    __HIR Attributes reserved for system use
    zA Attachment Type remote
    zD State of the File When in the "custom" Directory +
    (!: inherited attributes excluded; +: inherited
    attributes included)
    zE Remote queue device
    zH Remote print server hostname oldage
    zL Level of colon files (1: old files converted to 2
    new format; 2: new files)
    zM Printer Manufacturer generic
    zP Parent File From Which Attributes Are Inherited
    (assumed to be in the "predef" directory)
    zV Validate Attribute Value Strings During Digestion !
    by "piodigest"? (!: no; +: yes)

    on oldage:
    # lsque -q HP4PCL
    HP4PCL
    device = lp0
    # lsquedev -q HP4PCL -d /dev/lp0
    lp0
    file = /dev/lp0
    header = never
    trailer = never
    access = both
    backend = /usr/lib/lpd/piobe
    # lsvirprt -q HP4PCL -d /dev/lp0
    now here I have a problem. Saved the output of this command to /testo.txt on
    the hard drive. The file is 46425 bytes about 25 A4 pages. I work on the web
    on XP as my AIX4 machines don't have browsers or anti virus. If the info is
    small I hand write it off the AIX screen and retype into XP. If there is a
    lot of info, say half an A4 page I print it out and scan it into XP, do all
    the corrections as my text scanner makes errors, and then cut and paste into
    NG post.
    With this command # lsvirprt -q HP4PCLloc -d @oldage on gargon I installed
    the DOS utils and used doswrite to get it onto a floppy to get it into XP.
    When I tried to instal DOS utils on oldage I found the cdrom would not read
    the AIX 4.3.3installation disk. #tctl status said it was available and ready
    and #diag said no problems. Tried cleaners but no good. Getting another
    cdrom in a few days.
    So testo.txt is stuck in oldage. Even so 25 A4 pages is to many to post here
    ?
    Uwe I have your email address, I can print the pages out on oldage scan into
    XP and send them to you.

    Regards
    Basil

  7. Re: Printer Sharing

    Uwe Pulled CDrom to bits and cleaned and got it going.
    Here is last command you wanted. Not as long as I thought
    # lsvirprt -q HP4PCL -d lp0 on oldage
    Name Description Value
    __FLG VALUES THAT MAY BE OVERRIDDEN WITH FLAGS ON THE
    COMMAND LINE
    CB -------------- Text Print Options -------------
    CC
    ----------- Job Processing Options ------------
    CD
    ----------- Text Formatting Options -----------
    CE
    ------------- Paper/Page Options --------------
    CF
    --------- Header/Trailer Page Options ---------
    CG
    ------------- Messages/Diagnostics ------------
    Ca DIAGNOSTIC LEVEL
    %?%G_a%t-a%I_a%e-a
    %I_a\x27
    \x27-A%I_
    A%;
    Cs TYPESTYLE and PITCH -s%I_s\x27
    \x27-p%
    I_p
    _A stderr returned? 0: no; 1: yes, & pipelines; 2: 1
    yes, & values, pipelines
    _E DOUBLE SPACING?
    _H HOSTNAME for "PRINTED AT:" on HEADER PAGE
    _I (not used) Font ID
    _J RESTORE printer? +
    _L WRAP long lines? +
    _O Type of INPUT PAPER HANDLING (backward 3
    compatibility purpose only)
    _Q PAPER SIZE override for input paper source %IwQ
    _X CODE PAGE of print file ISO8859-1
    _Y DUPLEX output 0
    _Z Send FORM FEED after each file? +
    _a 0: Normal Print; 1: Return Flag Values & 0
    Pipeline, But Don't Print
    _b BOTTOM MARGIN (lines) 0
    _d Print file TYPE a
    _f Pre-processing FILTER NAME
    _g PAGE NUMBER where printing should begin 1
    _h TITLE STRING for 'pr' filter
    _i Number of columns to INDENT 0
    _j INITIALIZE printer? 1
    _l LINES per page %IwY
    _p PITCH (characters per inch) 10
    _q Print QUALITY 300
    _s TYPE STYLE (name) courier
    _t TOP MARGIN (lines) 0
    _u Input PAPER SOURCE 1
    _v LINE DENSITY (lines per inch) %Isv
    _w COLUMNS per page %IwX
    _x Add LINE FEED or CARRIAGE RETURN 2
    _z Page ORIENTATION !
    __SYS OTHER VALUES OF INTEREST TO THE SYSTEM
    ADMINISTRATOR
    mZ POSTSCRIPT option INSTALLED? !
    s0 PAPER SIZE for manual paper feed 4
    s1 PAPER SIZE for standard 250-sheet cassette 4
    s2 PAPER SIZE for multipurpose tray 4
    s3 ENVELOPE SIZE for optional envelope feeder 3
    s4 ENVELOPE SIZE for manual envelope feed 3
    s5 ENVELOPE SIZE for multipurpose tray 3
    s7 PAPER SIZE for optional 500-sheet lower cassette 4
    sD AUTOMATIC detection of print file TYPE to be done? +
    sH FORMATTING FLAGS for header page
    sT FORMATTING FLAGS for trailer page
    si USERS to get intervention messages
    sp FLAGS PROHIBITED for all print files
    sv Default VERTICAL SPACING (lines per inch) 6
    sw WIDTH of printable area on header page
    %G_w%Pw%?%gw%{77}%
    <%t%gw%e%{77}%;%d
    uH Input PAPER TRAY for header page 1
    uT Input PAPER TRAY for trailer page 1
    __HTP PIPELINES FOR HEADER AND TRAILER PAGES
    sh Pipeline for Header Page %Ide/pioburst
    %F[H
    ] %Idb/H.ascii
    | %
    Ide/pioformat -@
    %
    Idd/%Imm -!%Idf/pi
    ofpcl -J+ -L!
    %IsH
    -u%IuH
    st Pipeline for Trailer Page %Ide/pioburst
    %F[H
    ] %Idb/T.ascii
    | %
    Ide/pioformat -@
    %
    Idd/%Imm -!%Idf/pi
    ofpcl -t-14
    %IsT -
    u%IuT
    __IDS PIPELINES FOR INPUT DATA STREAMS (2 char,
    1st="i",2nd=data stream name)
    ia ASCII
    %Ide/pioformat -@%
    Idd/%Imm -!%Idf/pi
    ofpcl -l%IwL -w%Iw
    %f[bgijpqstuvxzI
    JLOQXYZ] %Uh
    ic PCL
    %Ide/pioformat -@%
    Idd/%Imm -!%Idf/pi
    ofpcl -l%IwL -w%Iw
    W -X ''
    %f[bgijpqs
    tuvxzIJLOQXYZ]
    %Uh
    in troff (ditroff) intermediate output { if [[ ! -x
    /usr/
    bin/hplj ]];
    then
    %Ide/piomsg -c
    pio
    attr1.cat -s
    1 -n
    804 "Error\072
    The
    /usr/bin/hplj
    com
    mand was not
    found
    ."; exit 1; fi;
    /u
    sr/bin/hplj; }
    | %
    Iip
    ip pass-through
    %Ide/pioformat -@%
    Idd/%Imm -!%Idf/pi
    ofpcl -#+ -x0 -l%I
    wL -w%IwW
    %f[jpqsu
    vxzIJOQYZ]%?%S_d%"
    n"%=%t -Z!%e%S_f%"
    n"%=%t -Z!%;
    is PostScript {
    ddi=$(/usr/bin/f
    ind
    %Idd/%Imt.ps.%
    Imn.* -print
    2>/de
    v/null |
    /usr/bin/
    sed "2,$ d");
    [[ -
    z $ddi ]] &&
    { %Id
    e/piomsg -c
    pioatt
    r1.cat -s 1 -n
    821
    -a
    PostScript -a
    PostScript
    "Error\
    72 Cannot print
    %%
    1$s file
    because n
    o %%2$s print
    queu
    e exists for
    this
    printer.\\n";
    exit
    1; };
    %Ide/piofor
    mat -@$ddi -!%Idf/
    piofpt
    %f[jquJYZ]
    ; }
    __PFL FLAGS PROHIBITED FOR INPUT DATA STREAMS (2
    char,1st="I",2nd=data str name)
    Ia FLAGS PROHIBITED for ASCII print files
    __FIL COMMAND STRINGS FOR FILTER FLAGS (2 char,
    1st="f",2nd=flag)
    f1 User defined filter 1
    f2 User defined filter 2
    f3 User defined filter 3
    f4 User defined filter 4
    f5 User defined filter 5
    fc cifplot filter
    fd TeX (DVI) filter
    ff FORTRAN filter { [[ -x
    /usr/ucb/f
    pr ]] || {
    %Ide/pi
    omsg -c
    pioattr1.c
    at -s 1 -n 815
    'Er
    ror\072 The
    /usr/u
    cb/fpr command
    was
    not
    found.\\n';ex
    it
    1;};/usr/ucb/fp
    r;}
    fg plot filter
    fl pass-through filter %ip
    fn ditroff filter { if [[ ! -x
    /usr/
    bin/hplj ]];
    then
    %Ide/piomsg -c
    pio
    attr1.cat -s
    1 -n
    804 "Error\072
    The
    /usr/bin/hplj
    com
    mand was not
    found
    ."; exit 1; fi;
    /u
    sr/bin/hplj; }%ip
    fp 'pr' filter
    /usr/bin/pr -l%IwL
    -w%IwW %F[h]
    %I@1
    ft troff filter
    fv Raster image filter
    __DIR DIRECTORIES
    d1 Directory Containing Stage 1 Translate Tables %I@4/trans1
    (data stream to intermed.)
    d2 Directory Containing Stage 2 Translate Tables %I@4/trans2
    (intermediate to printer)
    dD Directory Containing Dummy Device Files For %I@5/dev
    Printers Driven By, But Not Attached To, the
    Host Computer (example: printers attached to
    Xstations)
    dF Directory Containing Flags files (keeps track of %I@5/flags
    loaded fonts)
    db Directory Containing Header and Trailer Text Files %I@4/burst
    dd Directory Containing Digested Data Base Files %I@5/ddi
    de Directory Containing Miscellaneous Modules %I@4/etc
    df Directory Containing Loadable Formatter Routines %I@4/fmtrs
    dn Directory Containing Fonts To Be Downloaded %I@4/fonts
    dz Directory For Temporary Files /tmp
    __MIS MISCELLANEOUS
    mA Printer Data Stream Description PCL
    mB List of Stage 2 Translate Tables (code pages)
    hplj.roman8,hplj.i
    Supported by the Font bmus,hplj.ecma
    mD Name of message catalog Containing Attribute pioattr1.cat
    Descriptors
    mF Path Name of Font File To Be Downloaded (must
    include download commands)
    mH Number of Units Into Which a Horizontal Inch Is 720
    Divided
    mL Printer Description
    [devices.cat,71,13
    1;Hewlett-Packard
    LaserJet 4
    Plus]
    mN Printer model number hplj-4+
    mS Character To Be Used When Real One Can't Be _
    Printed
    mU Listing of allowable typeface/pitch combinations
    courier[10,4099;0;
    0(%ImB)]courier-bo
    ld[10,4099;3;0(%Im
    B)]courier-italic[
    10,4099;0;1(%ImB)]
    courier[12,4099;0;
    0(%ImB)]courier-bo
    ld[12,4099;3;0(%Im
    B)]courier-italic[
    12,4099;0;1(%ImB)]
    lineprinter[17,409
    6;0;0(%ImB)]courie
    r[17,4099;0;0(%ImB
    )]
    mV Number of Units Into Which a Vertical Inch Is 720
    Divided
    mc String to Send to Printer "mz" Times When Job Is \0
    Cancelled
    md Output Data Stream Type (example: ascii); pcl
    Initialized By "piodigest"
    mf Path Name of the Default Formatter (used when %Idf/piofpcl
    running standalone)
    mi Input Data Stream Names (1 character, separated by s,s,,,n,,,a
    commas) for mp Attribute
    mm File Name Of (Digested) Data Base; Init. By
    "piodigest" (mt.md.mn.mq:mv)
    mn Device name (example: lp0); Initialized By lp0
    "piodigest"
    mo Command String to Invoke Device Driver I/F Program %Ide/pioout
    %v[ABC
    (end of pipeline) DFINOPRS]
    mp Strings (separated by commas) That Identify Print
    %?%GsD%t%?%GmZ%t%%
    File Data Types (see mi)
    !,\x04%%!%e,%;,,,x
    T %;
    mq Queue Name; Initialized By "piodigest" HP4PCL
    mr Path Name of "read printer" routine ('load'ed by
    Dev. Dri. I/F pgm)
    mt Printer type; Initialized By "piodigest" hplj-4+
    mv Virtual Printer (i.e., queue device) Name; lp0
    Initialized By "piodigest"
    mz Number of Times To Send String "mc" to Printer 14688
    When Job Is Cancelled
    __TRN STAGE 2 TRANSLATE TABLES
    t0 Path Name of Stage 2 Translate Table
    t1 Path Name of First Alternate Stage 2 Translate
    Table
    t2 Path Name of Next Alternate Stage 2 Translate
    Table
    t3 Path Name of Next Alternate Stage 2 Translate
    Table
    t4 Path Name of Next Alternate Stage 2 Translate
    Table
    t5 Path Name of Next Alternate Stage 2 Translate
    Table
    t6 Path Name of Next Alternate Stage 2 Translate
    Table
    t7 Path Name of Next Alternate Stage 2 Translate
    Table
    t8 Path Name of Next Alternate Stage 2 Translate
    Table
    t9 Path Name of Next Alternate Stage 2 Translate
    Table
    __WKV WORK VARIABLES
    W0 Attribute to build ring for pitch and typestyle print
    '%ImU\\c'|/u
    sr/bin/tr ']'
    '\\0
    12'|/usr/bin/sed
    "
    s/\\[\\([^,]*\\),/
    \\1
    /"|/usr/bin/s
    ort -u +0 -1
    +1 -2
    -n|/usr/bin/sed
    "
    s/ \\([^ ]*\\)
    /\\
    [\\1,/"|/usr/bin/t
    r '\\012'
    ']'|%IWA
    W1 Attribute to validate pitch and typestyle if [[ -n
    '%#mU"%I_
    s\\[%I_p@$"' ]];th
    en print
    "0\\c";el
    se print
    "1\\c";fi
    W2 Command to list datastreams
    /usr/sbin/lsvirprt
    -q %Imq -d
    %Imv -
    a i. -f'%%7$c
    %%6
    $s\\n'
    W3 Command to list pre-processing filter names
    /usr/sbin/lsvirprt
    -q %Imq -d
    %Imv -
    n -a
    f. -f'%%7$c
    %%6$s\\n'
    W4 Determine lines per page based on lines per inch
    %?%G_z%t%GwR%e%GwK
    %;%gv%*%{300}%/%d
    W5 Command to validate attribute 'sp' typeset
    sp=$(print
    "%Isp"|/usr/bin/t
    r -d
    '[BCN]');type
    set -i
    len=${#sp};
    typeset
    var;while(
    ( len > 0 ));do
    va
    r="_$(print
    $sp|/u
    sr/bin/cut -c$len)
    ";if
    /usr/sbin/lsv
    irprt -q
    %Imq -d %
    Imv -a $var
    2>/dev
    /null|/usr/bin/egr
    ep "^$var"
    >/dev/n

    ull 2>&1;then
    \x3a
    ;else print
    "1\\c"
    ;exit;fi;len=len-1
    ;done;print
    "0\\c"
    W6 Attribute to validate paper size
    %?%GWu%{3}%<%GWu%{
    5}%>%|%t%IWP%e%IWE
    %;
    W7 Command to validate pre-processing filter name %?%L_f%tif
    /usr/sb
    in/lsvirprt -q
    %Im
    q -d %Imv -a
    f%I_f
    2>/dev/null |
    /us
    r/bin/egrep
    "^f%I_
    f" > /dev/null
    2>&
    1; then print
    "0\\
    c"; else print
    "1\
    \c"; fi%eprint
    "0\
    \c"%;
    W8 Command to display the string 'lines per inch' /usr/bin/dspmsg
    pi
    oattr1.cat 690
    "li
    nes per inch"
    W9 Generate a ring list for paper source
    R[pioattr1.cat,1,8
    39;standard
    250-sh
    eet
    cassette,multi
    purpose tray
    (pape
    r),optional
    500-sh
    eet lower
    cassette
    ,manual paper
    feed
    ,multipurpose
    tray
    (envelope),option
    al envelope
    feeder
    ,manual
    envelope f
    eed=1,2,7,0,5,3,4]
    WA Attribute to build ring for pitch and typestyle /usr/bin/awk -v
    se
    p=" " -v
    flags="s
    p"
    'BEGIN{RS="]";}
    {if(m=match($0,"^[
    ^\\\\[]*\\\\[[0-9]
    *"))s[cnt++]=subst
    r($0,m,RLENGTH);}E
    ND{for(i=0;i ++){no=split(s[i],
    F,"\\\\[");for(j=1
    ;j<=no;j++){printf
    ("%%s",F[j]);if(j+
    1<=no)printf("%%s"
    ,sep);}if(i+1 printf(",");}print
    f("=");for(i=0;i nt;i++){no=split(s
    [i],F,"\\\\[");for
    (j=1;j<=no;j++){pr
    intf("-%%s%%s",sub
    str(flags,j,1),F[j
    ]);if(j+1<=no)prin
    tf("%%s","\\047
    \\
    047"); }if(i+1 )printf(",");}}'
    WE Generate a ring list for envelope types R[7
    3/4,10,DL,C5,o
    ther=1,3,4,5,7]
    WP Generate a ring list for paper types
    R[letter,legal,A4,
    exec=1,2,4,5]
    WX verify code page of print file %?%L_X%tif
    [[ -f /
    usr/lib/lpd/pio/tr
    ans1/%I_X ]];
    then
    print "0\\c";
    els
    e print "1\\c";
    fi
    %eprint
    "0\\c"%;
    WY Generates a yes/no option ring
    EnR[pioattr1.cat,1
    ,619;yes,no=+,!]
    Wu Calculate value for paper source based on _O and
    %?%CO%t%?%G_O%{1}%
    _u.
    =%t%?%Cu%t%?%G_u%{
    2}%>%t%{4}%e%{0}%;
    %e%{0}%;%e%?%G_O%{
    2}%=%t%{5}%e%G_u%;
    %;%e%G_u%;%d
    w1 Integer Set By Formatter For Use By Various 0
    Commands
    wD Work Variable For Vertical Decrement (in Vres
    units)
    wF Work Variable In Which To Save Horizontal Position 0
    From Previous Line
    wG The group identifier
    wH Work Variable For Horizontal Increment Per %GmH%G_p%/%d
    Character (in Hres units)
    wJ Page Width (pels) For Portrait Orientation
    %G_Q%Pq%?%GWu%{3}%
    <%GWu%{5}%>%|%t%?%
    gq%{1}%=%t%{2400}%
    e%gq%{2}%=%t%{2400
    }%e%gq%{3}%=%t%{19
    99}%e%gq%{4}%=%t%{
    2338}%e%{2025}%;%e
    %?%gq%{1}%=%t%{101
    2}%e%gq%{2}%=%t%{1
    012}%e%gq%{3}%=%t%
    {1087}%e%gq%{4}%=%
    t%{1157}%e%gq%{5}%
    =%t%{1771}%e%{1928
    }%;%;%d
    wK Page Length (pels) For Portrait Orientation
    %G_Q%Pq%?%GWu%{3}%
    <%GWu%{5}%>%|%t%?%
    gq%{1}%=%t%{3000}%
    e%gq%{2}%=%t%{3900
    }%e%gq%{3}%=%t%{27
    35}%e%gq%{4}%=%t%{
    3207}%e%{2850}%;%e
    %?%gq%{1}%=%t%{213
    0}%e%gq%{2}%=%t%{2
    562}%e%gq%{3}%=%t%
    {2730}%e%gq%{4}%=%
    t%{2480}%e%gq%{5}%
    =%t%{2586}%e%{2852
    }%;%;%d
    wL Page Length In Chars, Using Length From Data Base
    %?%Cl%t%f!l%e%I_l%
    (used in pipelines) ;
    wM Page Width (pels) For Landscape Orientation
    %G_Q%Pq%?%GWu%{3}%
    <%GWu%{5}%>%|%t%?%
    gq%{1}%=%t%{3180}%
    e%gq%{2}%=%t%{4080
    }%e%gq%{3}%=%t%{29
    15}%e%gq%{4}%=%t%{
    3389}%e%{3030}%;%e
    %?%gq%{1}%=%t%{213
    0}%e%gq%{2}%=%t%{2
    562}%e%gq%{3}%=%t%
    {2730}%e%gq%{4}%=%
    t%{2480}%e%gq%{5}%
    =%t%{2586}%e%{2852
    }%;%;%d
    wN Points to string which will hold numeric
    parameters found in datastream
    wP The parameterized character in an escape sequence
    wQ Paper or Envelope Size For the Paper Source
    %?%GWu%{0}%=%t%Gs0
    Selected By the -O and -u Flag Values (Refer to
    %e%GWu%{1}%=%t%Gs1
    the s0, s1, s2, s3, and s4 attributes)
    %e%GWu%{2}%=%t%Gs2
    %e%GWu%{3}%=%t%Gs3
    %e%GWu%{4}%=%t%Gs4
    %e%GWu%{5}%=%t%Gs5
    %e%Gs7%;%d
    wR Page Length (pels) For Landscape Orientation
    %G_Q%Pq%?%GWu%{3}%
    <%GWu%{5}%>%|%t%?%
    gq%{1}%=%t%{2250}%
    e%gq%{2}%=%t%{2250
    }%e%gq%{3}%=%t%{18
    49}%e%gq%{4}%=%t%{
    2180}%e%{1875}%;%e
    %?%gq%{1}%=%t%{101
    2}%e%gq%{2}%=%t%{1
    012}%e%gq%{3}%=%t%
    {1087}%e%gq%{4}%=%
    t%{1157}%e%gq%{5}%
    =%t%{1771}%e%{1928
    }%;%;%d
    wT The command specifier
    wV Work Variable For Vertical Increment (in Vres %GmV%G_v%/%d
    units)
    wW Page Width In Characters, Using Width From Data
    %?%Cw%t%f!w%e%I_w%
    Base (used in pipelines) ;
    wX Default Page Width (characters)
    %Gwj%?%G_p%{17}%=%
    t%{167}%e%G_p%{10}
    %*%;%*%{3000}%/%d
    wY Default Page Length (lines)
    %Gwk%G_v%*%{300}%/
    %d
    wf Name of Current Form Feed Command af
    wh Current Horizontal Tab Settings (terminated by
    %{9}%Px%{28}%Py%?%
    null)
    gy%t%wy%gx%c%gx%{8
    }%+%Px%;%;\0
    wi Name of Current Vertical Increment Command cl
    wj Page Width in Current Orientation (pels)
    %?%G_z%{1}%&%t%GwM
    %e%GwJ%;%d
    wk Page Length in Current Orientation (pels)
    %?%G_z%{1}%&%t%GwR
    %e%GwK%;%d
    wl Number of Lines to Space Down For Each Line Feed %{1}%G_E%+%d
    wn Effective Line Density (lines per inch x 100)
    %G_l%{30000}%*%Gwk
    %/%d
    wp Work Variable for Pass-Through Instead of !
    Formatting (i.e., data stream is not modified) -
    DO NOT CHANGE
    wt Work Variable for Typeface Number 3
    wu Work Variable for Type Style 0
    wv Work Variable for Stroke Weight 0
    ww Work Variable For Page Width (in Hres units) %GwH%G_w%*%d
    wy Name of Current Vert. Decrement Command cx
    wz Pitch value in string format - used by the %G_p%d
    formatter - do not modify
    __CAG COMMAND AGGREGATES
    C1 Select the Windows Latin 1 symbol set \33(19U
    C2 Select the Windows Latin 2 symbol set \33(9E
    C3 Select the Windows Latin 5 symbol set \33(5T
    C4 Select the ISO8859-15 symbol set \33(9N
    c1 Select the Roman-8 symbol set \33(8U
    c2 Select the US symbol set \33(10U
    c3 Select the ECMA-94 (Latin 1) symbol set \33(0N
    ch Space Horizontally In Hres Units (used for ident, \33&a%Gw1%dH
    LF w/o CR)
    ci Command To Initialize the Printer
    %I[pU]%?%G_j%{2}%=
    %t%IpL%e%I[pR,pL,e
    R,eP,c1,eT,eS,eO,c
    t,eF,eu,es,eC]%;
    cl Send Carriage Return & Line Feed Controls %Iac%Ial
    cm Command When Switching Between Pri. Mode & Alt.
    %IeR%I[eF,eP,eO,ct
    (security label) Mode ]
    cr Command To Restore the Printer at Job End
    %IeR%o%I[eF,eP,eO,
    eS,ct,eD]%IpU
    ct Set line termination mode
    \33&k%?%Gwp%t%G_x%
    d%e0%;G
    __CTL CONTROL CODES (ASCII)
    ab ASCII Control Code to Backspace One Character \10
    ac ASCII Control Code to Return to the Left Margin \15
    (CR without LF)
    af ASCII Control Code to Advance the Paper to Top of \14\15
    ai ASCII Control Code to Shift In (i.e., start \17
    condensed printing)
    al ASCII Control Code to Advance the Paper One Line \12
    (LF without CR)
    an ASCII Null Character \0
    ao ASCII Control Code to Shift Out (i.e., set \16
    double-wide for the line)
    ar ASCII Control Code to Ring the Bell Once \7
    __ESC ESCAPE SEQUENCES
    eC Set the vertical line spacing (VMI)
    %?%Gwn%t\33&l%{480
    000}%Gwn%/%Pq%gq%{
    100}%/%d.%gq%{100}
    %m%2dC%e%IeD%;
    eD Set the vertical line spacing (lpi)
    \33&l%?%G_v%{8}%=%
    t8%e6%;D
    eF Select font if specified
    %?%G_I%t\33(s%?%G_
    I%{3}%>%t1%e0%;p%G
    _I%dT\17%;
    eO Specify the page orientation \33&l%G_z%dO
    eP Select pitch - default is 10
    %?%S_s%"lineprinte
    r"%=%t\33(s16.67H\
    33(s8.5V%e\33(s%G_
    p%dH%;
    eR PCL Reset \33E
    eS Set Duplex/Simplex Mode \33&l%G_Y%dS
    eT Set Typeface/style/weight
    \33(s%Gwu%dS\33(s%
    Gwv%dB\33(s%Gwt%dT
    eW Send out a two by escape sequence \33%GwP%c
    eX Send out a multi byte escape sequence
    \33%GwP%c%GwG%c%Iw
    N%GwT%?%GwT%{96}%>
    %t%?%GwT%{123}%<%t
    %{223}%&%;%;%c
    eY Send out a multi byte escape sequence followed by
    \33%GwP%c%GwG%c%Iw
    binary data
    N%GwT%{223}%&%c%x
    eZ Select the symbol set to be used
    \33%GwP%c%IwN%GwT%
    {223}%&%c
    eb Print a Single Character From the All Characters \33&p1X
    Chart
    es Set Page Size
    \33&l%G_Q%Pq%?%GWu
    %{3}%<%GWu%{5}%>%|
    %t%?%gq%{1}%=%t2%e
    %gq%{2}%=%t3%e%gq%
    {4}%=%t26%e%gq%{5}
    %=%t1%e2%;%e%?%gq%
    {1}%=%t80%e%gq%{3}
    %=%t81%e%gq%{4}%=%
    t90%e%gq%{5}%=%t91
    %e80%;%;A
    eu Generate the paper source escape sequence
    \33&l%?%GWu%{0}%=%
    t2%e%GWu%{2}%=%t4%
    e%GWu%{3}%=%t6%e%G
    Wu%{4}%=%t3%e%GWu%
    {5}%=%t4%e%GWu%{7}
    %=%t5%e1%;H
    pL Command to set printer language @PJL ENTER
    LANGUAG
    E = PCL\012
    pR Command to set printer resolution @PJL SET
    RESOLUTIO
    N = %G_q%d\12
    pU Reset command \33%%-12345X
    __HIR Attributes reserved for system use
    zA Attachment Type local
    zD State of the File When in the "custom" Directory +
    (!: inherited attributes excluded; +: inherited
    attributes included)
    zL Level of colon files (1: old files converted to 2
    new format; 2: new files)
    zM Printer Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
    zP Parent File From Which Attributes Are Inherited generic.pcl
    (assumed to be in the "predef" directory)
    zS (DO NOT CHANGE THIS VALUE) Current State of the +
    File (!: inherited attributes excluded; +:
    inherited attributes included)
    zV Validate Attribute Value Strings During Digestion +
    by "piodigest"? (!: no; +: yes)

    Basil

  8. Re: Printer Sharing

    Basil Holloway schrieb:
    > "Uwe Auer" wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >> First check, whether /var is (nearly) full and qdaemon (lssrc -s qdaemon)
    >> is running (lpd running is not sufficient if you enqueue print jobs using
    >> lp,enq or qprt. If I inteprete your post right then using "rembak"
    >> directly works. To my opinion, this is a strong indication that qdaemon is
    >> not running on gargon or /var is full.
    >>
    >> If these check does not solve your problem, then please provide the the
    >> output from following commands:
    >>
    >> on oldage:
    >> lsque -q HP4PCL
    >> lsquedev -q HP4PCL -d
    >> lsvirprt -q HP4PCL -d
    >> ( I assume is /dev/lp0)
    >>
    >> on gargon;
    >> lsque -q HP4PCLloc
    >> lsquedev -q HP4PCLloc -d
    >> lsvirprt -q HP4PCLloc -d
    >> ( I assume is something like @oldage)
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> Uwe Auer

    > good'day Uwe

    [...snip]
    > "rembak" works but trying to print from a text editor still does not.

    [...snip]
    Hi,

    this confuses me a little bit right now.

    Can you print using "qprt -PHP4PCLloc " on gargon command line ?
    You are talking about that you cannot print "from a text editor". Generally
    speaking you must "teach" (configure) your application which print command to be
    used. So to figure out, where the problem is, first test from command line (not
    using rembak directly) whether you can perform a remote print. If a "qprt" works
    then check whether you defined the "print" command correctly (Are you using any
    kind of X11/Dt text editor ? )

    Hint: You can stop your queues using "qadm -D" to see whether files
    are queued or not (lpstat -p). qadm -U sets a queue "up"
    again.

    Regards,
    Uwe Auer

  9. Re: Printer Sharing

    > Hi,
    >
    > this confuses me a little bit right now.
    >
    > Can you print using "qprt -PHP4PCLloc " on gargon command line
    > ?
    > You are talking about that you cannot print "from a text editor".
    > Generally speaking you must "teach" (configure) your application which
    > print command to be used. So to figure out, where the problem is, first
    > test from command line (not using rembak directly) whether you can perform
    > a remote print. If a "qprt" works then check whether you defined the
    > "print" command correctly (Are you using any kind of X11/Dt text editor
    > ? )
    >
    > Hint: You can stop your queues using "qadm -D" to see whether
    > files are queued or not (lpstat -p). qadm -U sets a
    > queue "up" again.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Uwe Auer

    Uwe on the issues you raised.
    On gargan #qprt -HP4PCLloc /testg.txt placed the job on the queue in gargon
    but it did not get transfered to oldage for printing.
    The text editor is the one out of the CDE desktop in the Application Manager
    suite not the text editor vi in the Desktop Tools suite. Its properties box
    gives no info as to where it comes from. When I had my network printer
    HP4500 going before it gave up the ghost just used to hit file/print/ok and
    it printed okay. In the file/print window there is a box to put a path.
    Sometimes one of the many commands I try will put the job into the print
    queue in gargan but it does not get to oldage for printing.
    Know the situation with the defunct HP4500 was a little different, true
    network printer versus present situation of printer attatched to another
    server.

    On gargon the /etc/hosts.equiv and /etc/hosts.lpd are completely empty, this
    correct ? oldage has gargan burrin bmwaust the clients in its two files.

    On oldage in Smit/manage print server/listall remote clients the results are
    Command Window
    /usr/bin/ruser -sP; if [[ $? -eq 1 ]] then
    /usr/bin/dspmsg -s 18 smit.cat 145 ' There are no clients with print access
    '
    fi
    Output Window
    gargan
    bmwaust
    burrin

    Is there any significance to the message ' There are no clients with print
    access '

    In gargan with all queue's cleared
    #lpstat -pHP4PCLloc shows
    Queue Dev Status
    HP4PCLl @olda DOWN
    HP4PCLl HP4PC READY
    running #qprt -HP4PCLloc /testg.txt then
    running
    #lpstat -pHP4PCLloc shows
    Queue Dev Status
    HP4PCLl @olda DOWN
    QUEUED job13 /testg.txt
    HP4PCLl HP4PC READY

    Awe hope the above answered your questions sarisfactorily.

    Hunting around the web found this
    Remote Printing
    To send print jobs to a remote print server, TCP/IP must be used. The flow
    of a print job is as follows...

    a.. Job is initiated using lpr or enq
    b.. The /etc/qdaemon on the local machine processes the job and passes the
    data to a the backend process /usr/lpd/rembak
    c.. rembak transmits the job to the remote printer via TCP/IP
    d.. On the remote server lpd, by monitoring port 515, receives and
    processes the job to the selected printer
    Multiple jobs submitted on a single command line to either a local or
    remote print queue is NOT supported.

    AIX is able to use remote queues with names longer than 7 characters in
    length. In order for this to work, you need to define the backend of the
    remote queue as follows:

    backend = /usr/lpd/rembak -P -S -N

    a.. The -P will work with queue names longer than 7 characters.
    b.. The -N is needed to inhibit sending AIX-specific control information
    to a non-AIX remote host
    a.. /usr/lib/lpd/aixshort indicates the remote server is another AIX
    machine.
    b.. /usr/lib/lpd/aixlong indicates the remote server is another AIX
    machine. (For long-form output)
    c.. /usr/lib/lpd/bsdshort indicates the remote server is BSD4.3 or Linux
    lpq printer queue
    d.. /usr/lib/lpd/bsdlong indicates the remote server is BSD4.3 or Linux
    lpq printer queue (For long-form output)
    gargan's print queue is called HP4PCLloc, a total of 9 characters which
    exceeds the 7 character limit suggested in the above article. This article
    was from http://www.ahinc.com/aix/printer.htm .
    Do you think it applies to my situation ? If so, would the command be run on
    gargan or oldage or both ?
    Was going to cancel all I had done from your original instructions and
    refeed every thing in again trying a shorter queue
    name for gargan but was not sure how to undo everything in oldage.

    Regards
    Basil

  10. Re: Printer Sharing

    Uwe
    Another bit of info that may be useful.
    On gargan opened printer jobs, highlighted HP4PCLloc, clicked on properties
    and in the window that opened it displays

    PRINTER QUEUE HP4PCLloc
    Status Down- Out of Service

    DEVICE NAME HP4PCL on oldage
    Status Up - In Service

    Every minute, the words " Status Up - In Service " under DEVICE NAME HP4PCL
    on oldage changes for a millisecond to " Status Down- Out of Service " then
    back to
    " Status Up - In Service " .

    The status wording under PRINTER QUEUE HP4PCLloc does not change.

    It would seem gargan is successfully polling oldage every minute to see if
    the printer is ready and available.

    In my posts, gargon should have read gargan, sorry about that.

    Basil

  11. Re: Printer Sharing

    Basil Holloway schrieb:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> this confuses me a little bit right now.
    >>
    >> Can you print using "qprt -PHP4PCLloc " on gargon command line
    >> ?
    >> You are talking about that you cannot print "from a text editor".
    >> Generally speaking you must "teach" (configure) your application which
    >> print command to be used. So to figure out, where the problem is, first
    >> test from command line (not using rembak directly) whether you can perform
    >> a remote print. If a "qprt" works then check whether you defined the
    >> "print" command correctly (Are you using any kind of X11/Dt text editor
    >> ? )
    >>
    >> Hint: You can stop your queues using "qadm -D" to see whether
    >> files are queued or not (lpstat -p). qadm -U sets a
    >> queue "up" again.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> Uwe Auer

    > Uwe on the issues you raised.
    > On gargan #qprt -HP4PCLloc /testg.txt placed the job on the queue in gargon
    > but it did not get transfered to oldage for printing.
    > The text editor is the one out of the CDE desktop in the Application Manager
    > suite not the text editor vi in the Desktop Tools suite. Its properties box
    > gives no info as to where it comes from. When I had my network printer
    > HP4500 going before it gave up the ghost just used to hit file/print/ok and
    > it printed okay. In the file/print window there is a box to put a path.
    > Sometimes one of the many commands I try will put the job into the print
    > queue in gargan but it does not get to oldage for printing.
    > Know the situation with the defunct HP4500 was a little different, true
    > network printer versus present situation of printer attatched to another
    > server.
    >
    > On gargon the /etc/hosts.equiv and /etc/hosts.lpd are completely empty, this
    > correct ? oldage has gargan burrin bmwaust the clients in its two files.
    >
    > On oldage in Smit/manage print server/listall remote clients the results are
    > Command Window
    > /usr/bin/ruser -sP; if [[ $? -eq 1 ]] then
    > /usr/bin/dspmsg -s 18 smit.cat 145 ' There are no clients with print access
    > '
    > fi
    > Output Window
    > gargan
    > bmwaust
    > burrin
    > Hi,

    1st: /etc/hosts.equiv has nothing to do with remote printing - you may delete it.
    2nd: Is name resolution for "gargan","bmwaust" and "burrin" working on oldage ?
    If not - add ip addresses for those systems into /etc/hosts of oldage.

    Regards,
    Uwe Auer

  12. Re: Printer Sharing

    > 1st: /etc/hosts.equiv has nothing to do with remote printing - you may
    > delete it.
    > 2nd: Is name resolution for "gargan","bmwaust" and "burrin" working on
    > oldage ? If not - add ip addresses for those systems into /etc/hosts of
    > oldage.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Uwe Auer

    Uwe
    Yes, name resolution is working for gargan, bmwaust and burrin on oldage.

    I know they are ancient operating systems working on old outdated computers
    and as rembak works will be satisfied with that.

    Steve, Hajo and Uwe, thanks for your assistance, sure have learnt a lot but
    o'so much more to learn about AIX.

    Regards
    Basil

+ Reply to Thread