crfs cannot create more than one file system on a volumn group - Aix

This is a discussion on crfs cannot create more than one file system on a volumn group - Aix ; I tried to create multiple file systems on the same volumn group, but only the first "crfs" command succeeded. The second crfs does not create a new file system with the proper size, as shown below, any gocha? mkvg -fy ...

  1. crfs cannot create more than one file system on a volumn group

    I tried to create multiple file systems on the same volumn group, but
    only the first "crfs" command succeeded. The second crfs does not
    create a new file system with the proper size, as shown below, any
    gocha?

    mkvg -fy myfs -S -s 1 hdisk7
    crfs -v jfs2 -m /myfile1 -g myfs -a log=INLINE -A yes -t no -p rw -
    a size=33000
    crfs -v jfs2 -m /myfile2 -g myfs -a log=INLINE -A yes -t no -p rw -
    a size=33000

    >cd /myfile1
    >df -k *

    Filesystem 1024-blocks Free %Used Iused %Iused Mounted on
    /dev/fslv01 200000512 199445112 1% 6 1% /myfile1

    >cd /myfile2
    >df -k *

  2. Re: crfs cannot create more than one file system on a volumn group

    On Aug 5, 1:06*pm, "uwc...@gmail.com" wrote:
    > I tried to create multiple file systems on the same volumn group, but
    > only the first "crfs" command succeeded. The second crfs does not
    > create a new file system with the proper size, as shown below, any
    > gocha?
    >
    > mkvg -fy myfs -S -s 1 hdisk7
    > crfs -v jfs2 * -m /myfile1 *-g myfs -a log=INLINE -A yes -t no -p rw -
    > a size=33000
    > crfs -v jfs2 * -m /myfile2 *-g myfs -a log=INLINE -A yes -t no -p rw -
    > a size=33000
    >
    > >cd /myfile1
    > >df -k *

    > Filesystem * *1024-blocks * * *Free %Used * *Iused %Iused Mounted on
    > /dev/fslv01 * * 200000512 199445112 * *1% * * * *6 * * 1% /myfile1
    >
    > >cd /myfile2
    > >df -k *

    what is the output of lsvg -l myfs volume group.. Also why are you
    setting the pp size to 1MB - I would normally let aix figure out the
    default pp size for a volume group unless you really need to have
    extra small pps for a volume group.

    Also do a lspv -l hdisk7 and post your output.

    On your second command does it say anything at all? I was able to run
    multiple crfs without a issue like your example above only difference
    is the vg setup. Also for naming conventions you should try and stick
    with volume group names like myvg instead of myfs -- sounds like your
    talking about a fliesystem vs a volume group .. ie rootvg datavg etc

    -Mp

  3. Re: crfs cannot create more than one file system on a volumn group

    On 08/05/2008 10:06 PM, uwcssa@gmail.com wrote:
    > I tried to create multiple file systems on the same volumn group, but
    > only the first "crfs" command succeeded. The second crfs does not
    > create a new file system with the proper size, as shown below, any
    > gocha?

    Each file-system you create requires a corresponding LV. Since you did
    not specify the first one, AIX defaulted to fslv01. You should be
    creating a separate LV for each FS, and name them appropriately.

    Other issues:
    * You have created a scalable VG, with only 1MB PP size. Not sure about
    scalable VGs, but for regular VGs there is a limit of 1024PPs per PV,
    which means you'd have to provide 1GB Luns! You really should consider
    using _at least_ a 128 or 256MB PP size.

    * You named the Volume Group myfs???

    * You have specified inline logs. Unless you know what you are doing,
    stick with the defaults, same applies to using a scalable VG.

    * -t no: is the default anyway.

    cheers
    Niel

  4. Re: crfs cannot create more than one file system on a volumn group

    On 5 Aug, 21:06, "uwc...@gmail.com" wrote:
    > I tried to create multiple file systems on the same volumn group, but
    > only the first "crfs" command succeeded. The second crfs does not
    > create a new file system with the proper size, as shown below, any
    > gocha?
    >
    > mkvg -fy myfs -S -s 1 hdisk7
    > crfs -v jfs2 -m /myfile1 -g myfs -a log=INLINE -A yes -t no -p rw -
    > a size=33000
    > crfs -v jfs2 -m /myfile2 -g myfs -a log=INLINE -A yes -t no -p rw -
    > a size=33000
    >
    > >cd /myfile1
    > >df -k *

    > Filesystem 1024-blocks Free %Used Iused %Iused Mounted on
    > /dev/fslv01 200000512 199445112 1% 6 1% /myfile1
    >
    > >cd /myfile2
    > >df -k *

    If the command succeeded (return code $?=0), then the fs is there.
    What does "df -k" (as opposed to "df -k *") show? What does "lsvg -l
    myfs" show?

    PS Your command prompt ">" is confusing Google's newsreader - it
    thinks that you are quoting original text.

  5. Re: crfs cannot create more than one file system on a volumn group

    > PS Your command prompt ">" is confusing Google's newsreader - it
    > thinks that you are quoting original text.

    More importantly, I have seen where a ">" prompt truncated files when
    someone failed to cut and paste correctly...
    (Instead of cut from window one, paste into window two, there was a
    cut from window one, and paste back into window one )

    But I digress.

    AIX will automatically increment the lv names to handle new lv's.
    There is no real need to individually name the
    lv names. ( It is usually considered a best practice to have names
    that will help you remember how the lv is used...but not required)

    I think that there is missing information in the original post.
    Even if the filesystem did not get created, and there was just a mount
    point, df -k * should then showhd4

    If you want more help than was already given, Please post the rest of
    the df output, and
    lspv -l as Mp suggested

  6. Re: crfs cannot create more than one file system on a volumn group

    On Aug 5, 4:06*pm, "uwc...@gmail.com" wrote:
    > I tried to create multiple file systems on the same volumn group, but
    > only the first "crfs" command succeeded. The second crfs does not
    > create a new file system with the proper size, as shown below, any
    > gocha?
    >
    > mkvg -fy myfs -S -s 1 hdisk7
    > crfs -v jfs2 * -m /myfile1 *-g myfs -a log=INLINE -A yes -t no -p rw -
    > a size=33000
    > crfs -v jfs2 * -m /myfile2 *-g myfs -a log=INLINE -A yes -t no -p rw -
    > a size=33000
    >
    > >cd /myfile1
    > >df -k *

    > Filesystem * *1024-blocks * * *Free %Used * *Iused %Iused Mounted on
    > /dev/fslv01 * * 200000512 199445112 * *1% * * * *6 * * 1% /myfile1
    >

    > >cd /myfile2
    > >df -k *- Hide quoted text -

    Others have given you excellent feedback on the naming of volume
    groups, sizes, LV names, and such. And the commands supplied should
    help identify what was created on the VG or on the PV.

    One thing I would mention though...After creating the FS, did you
    mount it? The df command only shows mounted file systems. You can use
    "lsfs" command to see ones that are NOT mounted too.

  7. Re: crfs cannot create more than one file system on a volumn group

    uwcssa@gmail.com schrieb:
    > I tried to create multiple file systems on the same volumn group, but
    > only the first "crfs" command succeeded. The second crfs does not
    > create a new file system with the proper size, as shown below, any
    > gocha?
    >
    > mkvg -fy myfs -S -s 1 hdisk7
    > crfs -v jfs2 -m /myfile1 -g myfs -a log=INLINE -A yes -t no -p rw -
    > a size=33000
    > crfs -v jfs2 -m /myfile2 -g myfs -a log=INLINE -A yes -t no -p rw -
    > a size=33000
    >
    >> cd /myfile1
    >> df -k *

    > Filesystem 1024-blocks Free %Used Iused %Iused Mounted on
    > /dev/fslv01 200000512 199445112 1% 6 1% /myfile1
    >

    >> cd /myfile2
    >> df -k *

    crfs and no mount? And how can a crfs -a size=33000 result in a
    filesystem with 200000512 1024-blocks?

+ Reply to Thread