How to fix a BROKEN bos.rte.filesystem fileset - Aix

This is a discussion on How to fix a BROKEN bos.rte.filesystem fileset - Aix ; I have a BROKEN bos.rte.filesystem: host # lslpp -l bos.rte.filesystem Fileset Level State Description ------------------------------------------------------------------------- Path: /usr/lib/objrepos bos.rte.filesystem 5.3.7.2 APPLIED Filesystem Administration Path: /etc/objrepos bos.rte.filesystem 5.3.7.2 BROKEN Filesystem Administration If I try to reapply the 5.3.7.2 update (without commit), it ...

  1. How to fix a BROKEN bos.rte.filesystem fileset

    I have a BROKEN bos.rte.filesystem:

    host # lslpp -l bos.rte.filesystem
    Fileset Level State Description
    bos.rte.filesystem 5.3.7.2 APPLIED Filesystem Administration

    bos.rte.filesystem 5.3.7.2 BROKEN Filesystem Administration

    If I try to reapply the 5.3.7.2 update (without commit), it fails with:

    FAILURES
    --------
    Filesets listed in this section failed pre-installation verification
    and will not be installed.

    BROKEN Filesets
    ---------------
    The following selected fileset updates are currently in the BROKEN state.

    bos.rte.filesystem 5.3.7.2 # Filesystem Administration

    Alternative actions that can be used to correct broken filesets are:
    1. If the broken fileset is an update, re-install the update with options
    to the installation program that will apply, commit and automatically
    install requisite software without saving replaced files: -acgN flags.
    2. Re-install the entire fileset, i.e., the base level and any desired
    updates (may need to use the "FORCE" option: -F flag).
    3. Deinstall the entire fileset (using "Remove Software Products":
    -u flag).

    If I try option 1, I get:

    BUILDDATE Verification ...
    Verifying build dates...
    installp: The build date requisite check failed for fileset bos.rte.filesystem.
    Installed fileset build date is 0811. Selected fileset does not have a build date, but one is required.
    installp: Installation failed due to BUILDDATE requisite failure.

    I looked for the base level package (bos.rte.filesystem 5.3.0.0) to try option
    2, but I can't find it on the 5.3 installation disks.

    I don't think I really want to try option 3 unless it's the only way.

    How do I get bos.rte.filesystem 5.3.0.0, or how do I fix the BROKEN package?

    Thanks,
    - Jeff

  2. Re: How to fix a BROKEN bos.rte.filesystem fileset

    On Aug 4, 7:28*pm, j...@anaconda.cc.purdue.edu (Jeff W. Stewart)
    wrote:
    > I have a BROKEN bos.rte.filesystem:
    >
    > * * host # lslpp -l bos.rte.filesystem
    > * * * Fileset * * * * * * * * * * *Level *State * * *Description * * * *
    > * * * -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > * * * bos.rte.filesystem * * * * 5.3.7.2 *APPLIED * *Filesystem Administration

    > * * * bos.rte.filesystem * * * * 5.3.7.2 *BROKEN * * Filesystem Administration
    >
    > If I try to reapply the 5.3.7.2 update (without commit), it fails with:
    >
    > * * FAILURES
    > * * --------
    > * * * Filesets listed in this section failed pre-installation verification
    > * * * and will not be installed.
    >
    > * * * BROKEN Filesets
    > * * * ---------------
    > * * * The following selected fileset updates are currently in the BROKEN state.
    >
    > * * * * bos.rte.filesystem 5.3.7.2 * * * * * * * *# Filesystem Administration
    >
    > * * * Alternative actions that can be used to correct broken filesets are:
    > * * * 1. If the broken fileset is an update, re-install the update with options
    > * * * * *to the installation program that will apply, commit and automatically
    > * * * * *install requisite software without saving replaced files: *-acgN flags.
    > * * * 2. Re-install the entire fileset, i.e., the base level and any desired
    > * * * * *updates (may need to use the "FORCE" option: -F flag).
    > * * * 3. Deinstall the entire fileset (using "Remove Software Products":
    > * * * * *-u flag).
    >
    > If I try option 1, I get:
    >
    > * * * * * * * * * * * *BUILDDATE Verification ...
    > * * +-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    > * * Verifying build dates...
    > * * installp: The build date requisite check failed for fileset * * *bos.rte.filesystem.
    > * * Installed fileset build date is 0811. *Selected fileset does not have a build date, but one is required.
    > * * installp: Installation failed due to BUILDDATE requisite failure.
    >
    > I looked for the base level package (bos.rte.filesystem 5.3.0.0) to try option
    > 2, but I can't find it on the 5.3 installation disks.
    >
    > I don't think I really want to try option 3 unless it's the only way.
    >
    > How do I get bos.rte.filesystem 5.3.0.0, or how do I fix the BROKEN package?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > * * - Jeff

    Sounds like a possible bug with 5.3 tl7 sp 2 .. Have you tried de-
    committing your applied filesets.
    If you applied your update you should be able to roll back. Depending
    if this a production box or not might determine the best course of
    action. If you can get it do roll back you might try a different
    service pack for TL7

    1. Create a mksysb at this point before anything else happens.
    2. If you have purchased a system recently you have a 1 year call free
    to 1-800-426-7378 and talk to support if possible.
    3. Try uncommitting your update this should roll you back if you
    applied your fileset instead of committing and save replaced files was
    on.
    4. I thought lppchk had a option where it trys a cleanup after failed
    installation. You might try looking up that as well.

    -MP

  3. Re: How to fix a BROKEN bos.rte.filesystem fileset

    On Aug 5, 11:07*am, mprod...@gmail.com wrote:
> [...]

    > > * * - Jeff

    > Sounds like a possible bug with 5.3 tl7 sp 2 .. *Have you tried de-
    > committing your applied filesets.
    > If you applied your update you should be able to roll back. *Depending
    > if this a production box or not might determine the best course of
    > action. If you can get it do roll back you might try a different
    > service pack for TL7
    >
    > 1. Create a mksysb at this point before anything else happens.
    > 2. If you have purchased a system recently you have a 1 year call free
    > to 1-800-426-7378 and talk to support if possible.
    > 3. Try uncommitting your update this should roll you back if you
    > applied your fileset instead of committing and save replaced files was
    > on.
    > 4. I thought lppchk had a option where it trys a cleanup after failed
    > installation. You might try looking up that as well.

    IBM seemed to deny that this was an issue... hmmmmmm

    Don't know if this helps but this is what I did (and it worked)

    I was updating from AIX 5.3 TL6 SP6 to AIX 5.3 TL7 SP4 and received

    --Verifying build dates...
    --installp: The build date requisite check failed for fileset
    devices.pci.df1023fd.rte.
    --Installed fileset build date of 0811 is more recent than the
    selected fileset build date of 0747.
    --installp: Installation failed due to BUILDDATE requisite failure.

    To fix the problem I did this:-
    (All steps)
    1. With target server at AIX 5.3 TL6 SP6
    2. "Installed" the bos.rte.install* filesets first (from the TL7 SP4
    update pack)
    3. "Installed" the offending fileset (above: devices.pci.df1023fd.rte)
    from the TL7 SP4 update pack
    4. "Update_all" (from the TL7 SP4 update pack) - all worked OK

    Remembering to "preview" everything first of course!! :-))

    Cheers

    Pete (Strad)

+ Reply to Thread