Upgrade 5.1 to 5.3 - Aix

This is a discussion on Upgrade 5.1 to 5.3 - Aix ; Hi, I have to upgrade AIX 5.1 to 5.3 I have disk unused inside the box can I use it to do the upgrade ? using alt_disk_install ? what are the steps ? Thanks in advance...

  1. Upgrade 5.1 to 5.3

    Hi,

    I have to upgrade AIX 5.1 to 5.3
    I have disk unused inside the box
    can I use it to do the upgrade ?
    using alt_disk_install ?
    what are the steps ?

    Thanks in advance

  2. Re: Upgrade 5.1 to 5.3

    On Aug 4, 3:13*pm, "astalavista" wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have to upgrade AIX 5.1 to 5.3
    > I have disk unused inside the box
    > can I use it to do the upgrade ?
    > using alt_disk_install ?
    > what are the steps ?
    >
    > Thanks in advance

  3. Re: Upgrade 5.1 to 5.3

    I have used the Alternate Disk Installation method once for a server I
    wanted to upgrade from 5.1 to 5.3 and it worked fine. The only issue I
    had was that I did not have the bos.alt_disk_install.rte installed on
    the server and had to get those filesets from my original media on the
    5.1 system.

    I have not used it extensively so cannot give commands off the top of
    my head. I would recommend that you look at the cloning option and
    install AIX 5.1 mksysb on the "unused" disk, then migrate it to AIX
    5.3, and finally reboot the system from the alternate disk and see if
    it worked okay.

    This is the documentation for the command:
    http://publib16.boulder.ibm.com/doc_...sk_install.htm

    More info:
    http://publib16.boulder.ibm.com/doc_..._migration.htm

  4. Re: Upgrade 5.1 to 5.3

    OK thanks

    "steven_nospam at Yahoo! Canada" a écrit dans le
    message de news:
    05aecadb-7f99-4c91-8220-7b00581c71e6...oglegroups.com...
    >I have used the Alternate Disk Installation method once for a server I
    > wanted to upgrade from 5.1 to 5.3 and it worked fine. The only issue I
    > had was that I did not have the bos.alt_disk_install.rte installed on
    > the server and had to get those filesets from my original media on the
    > 5.1 system.
    >
    > I have not used it extensively so cannot give commands off the top of
    > my head. I would recommend that you look at the cloning option and
    > install AIX 5.1 mksysb on the "unused" disk, then migrate it to AIX
    > 5.3, and finally reboot the system from the alternate disk and see if
    > it worked okay.
    >
    > This is the documentation for the command:
    > http://publib16.boulder.ibm.com/doc_...sk_install.htm
    >
    > More info:
    > http://publib16.boulder.ibm.com/doc_..._migration.htm

  5. Re: Upgrade 5.1 to 5.3

    On Aug 4, 4:03*pm, "steven_nospam at Yahoo! Canada"
    wrote:
    > I have used the Alternate Disk Installation method once for a server I
    > wanted to upgrade from 5.1 to 5.3 and it worked fine. The only issue I
    > had was that I did not have the bos.alt_disk_install.rte installed on
    > the server and had to get those filesets from my original media on the
    > 5.1 system.
    >
    > I have not used it extensively so cannot give commands off the top of
    > my head. I would recommend that you look at the cloning option and
    > install AIX 5.1 mksysb on the "unused" disk, then migrate it to AIX
    > 5.3, and finally reboot the system from the alternate disk and see if
    > it worked okay.
    >
    > This is the documentation for the command:http://publib16.boulder.ibm.com/doc_...b/cmds/aixcmds...
    >
    > More info:http://publib16.boulder.ibm.com/doc_...b/aixins/insgd...

    You'll also need a install repository, or NIM server setup first. You
    can't just feed in the media.

  6. Re: Upgrade 5.1 to 5.3

    On Aug 4, 2:13*pm, "astalavista" wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have to upgrade AIX 5.1 to 5.3
    > I have disk unused inside the box
    > can I use it to do the upgrade ?
    > using alt_disk_install ?
    > what are the steps ?
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    We do it all the time for AIX 5.3 (cloning + upgrade), here are
    steps.

    0. Ensure rootvg is not mirrored
    1. Check all the logical volume (LV) names are less than 12
    characters, otherwise alt_disk_install process will fail, as Operating
    System does not allow LV name to
    exceed 15 characters. ALT_DISK_INSTALL process prefixes 4 characters
    i.e. “alt_” to the existing LV names during the process.
    2. Check all filesets are committed.
    3. Here is a command to exec:

    “alt_disk_install -C -D -V -b update_all -I -acgX -l Dir> -P all > 2>

    Check the stderr.file for any errors, typically for "savebase" routine
    execution. As I have noticed, in case of AIX 5.3 ML3 and above, if
    "bos.rte.install" is lower than “5.3.0.54” and/or
    “bos.alt_disk_install.rte" is lower than “5.3.0.51”, savebase errors
    out. The process may complete, but you would not be able to boot the
    box with new disk.

    GoodLuck !!!
    -Khatir

+ Reply to Thread