du not working for some user using ksh - Aix

This is a discussion on du not working for some user using ksh - Aix ; Hi, I have a strange problem with a AIX server, user are having problem with using du will in their ksh shell, if they switch to sh or bash there is not problem. root account that are using ksh but ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: du not working for some user using ksh

  1. du not working for some user using ksh

    Hi,

    I have a strange problem with a AIX server, user are having problem
    with using du will in their ksh shell, if they switch to sh or bash
    there is not problem. root account that are using ksh but have not
    problem with du.

    this is the error messages when trying to run du

    du: can't find current directory


    can this be cause by the setting in ksh or some other problem?


    Thanks

    Robert Ngo

  2. Re: du not working for some user using ksh

    On 08/02/2008 04:11 AM, Robert Ngo wrote:

    > this is the error messages when trying to run du
    > du: can't find current directory


    You most likely have incorrect underlying mount-point permissions which
    you can confirm by running /bin/pwd _as the user_ in the directory where
    they are experiencing the problem. If it shows an error, you need to fix
    things.

    e.g. if you have the problem in /apps/oracle and you do 'umount
    /apps/oracle', the underlying /apps/oracle directory should be owned by
    root.system and have 755 permissions. If you then do 'mount
    /apps/oracle', everything should work fine (and still be owned by the
    correct user).

    cheers
    Niel

  3. Re: du not working for some user using ksh

    On Aug 2, 6:05*pm, Niel Lambrechts wrote:
    > On 08/02/2008 04:11 AM, Robert Ngo wrote:
    >
    > > this is the error messages when trying to run du
    > > du: can't find current directory

    >
    > You most likely have incorrect underlying mount-point permissions which
    > you can confirm by running /bin/pwd _as the user_ in the directory where
    > they are experiencing the problem. If it shows an error, you need to fix
    > things.
    >
    > e.g. if you have the problem in /apps/oracle and you do 'umount
    > /apps/oracle', the underlying /apps/oracle directory should be owned by
    > root.system and have 755 permissions. If you then do 'mount
    > /apps/oracle', everything should work fine (and still be owned by the
    > correct user).
    >
    > cheers
    > Niel


    i can run pwd to get the current directory, i am having problem
    running du on id that have home directory on /apps/prd, using
    different shell does not effect the result.

  4. Re: du not working for some user using ksh

    On 08/02/2008 12:29 PM, Robert Ngo wrote:
    > On Aug 2, 6:05 pm, Niel Lambrechts wrote:
    >> On 08/02/2008 04:11 AM, Robert Ngo wrote:

    > i can run pwd to get the current directory


    Sigh - I did not ask you to run 'pwd' (which is a shell builtin), I said
    '/bin/pwd'.

    If you get 'Permission denied' you should try my earlier advice.

    Niel

  5. Re: du not working for some user using ksh

    On Aug 2, 11:19*pm, Niel Lambrechts wrote:
    > On 08/02/2008 12:29 PM, Robert Ngo wrote:
    >
    > > On Aug 2, 6:05 pm, Niel Lambrechts wrote:
    > >> On 08/02/2008 04:11 AM, Robert Ngo wrote:

    > > i can run pwd to get the current directory

    >
    > Sigh - I did not ask you to run 'pwd' (which is a shell builtin), I said
    > '/bin/pwd'.
    >
    > If you get 'Permission denied' you should try my earlier advice.
    >
    > Niel


    found the problem, thanks.

  6. Re: du not working for some user using ksh

    On 08/04/2008 01:44 AM, Robert Ngo wrote:
    > found the problem, thanks.


    Mind sharing it with the newsgroup, it could help somebody else?

    Niel

  7. Re: du not working for some user using ksh

    On 08/04/2008 01:44 AM, Robert Ngo wrote:
    > found the problem, thanks.


    Would you mind sharing a bit about it, since that's the purpose of this
    newsgroup?

    Niel

+ Reply to Thread