Infoprinter 1534dn - Aix

This is a discussion on Infoprinter 1534dn - Aix ; Recently had a two 4500dn's and one 5dn HP Laserjet duplex network printers pack up which are too expensive to repair. Owing to recession can only spend up to $A1000 ( $US950 ) to get a replacement RJ45 network colour ...

  1. Infoprinter 1534dn

    Recently had a two 4500dn's and one 5dn HP Laserjet duplex network printers
    pack up which are too expensive to repair.
    Owing to recession can only spend up to $A1000 ( $US950 ) to get a
    replacement RJ45 network colour duplex laser printer.
    Had a heck of a job finding a network colour duplex laser printer with
    dedicated drivers for W98, W2K, XP and AIX 4 to 6.
    The HP CM1312NFI specification says it has dedicated AIX drivers but they
    are not available on the down load site. The same applies to the HP 4730MFP
    and HP CP6015dn. HP tech support says they do not know when the drivers will
    be available.
    Have located an Infoprint 1534dn that meets the spec but Ricoh and IBM are
    in a state of flux over Infoprint in Australia at the moment and phone calls
    to both parties leave me unimpressed as to on going support.

    Being a newbie just wanted a printer to attatch to my P2P network hub/switch
    and install it on several new and ancient RS6000's through smit. ( The
    4500's and 5dn were easy to install)

    Kycera kindly gave me this about their printer but don't want to go down
    this route just yet, too complicated.

    " FS-C5015 as well as majority of Kyocera printers and MFD (multi functional
    device) support PCL, PJL, IBM Proprinter, HP GL, PostScript and Diablo
    emulations and prints straight text (ASCII). The most application for UNIX
    systems produce jobs in straight text or PostScript format. IBM AIX is UNIX
    system and as all use LPD/LPR daemon. See attached file how to add print
    queue to the most known UNIX systems. AIX should support BSD too. Daemon
    controls print queue. Accepts jobs in text, PostScript (commonly used) or
    other format from applications and send them to printer. If your
    applications can't prepare jobs then use something like Ghostscript (
    http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/ ) to render jobs (link between application
    and queue) . Ghostscript (free postscript) can use PPD driver. I don't know
    how Ghostscript will run on AIX. You should investigate this. If you have
    CUPS (Common UNIX Printing System) distribution set on your AIX you can use
    PPD file (driver for Linux). Visit www.cups.org . "

    Hunting around the web cannot find much around about the Infoprint 1534dn.
    Has anyone had any experience with it.

    Thanks All
    Basil

  2. Re: Infoprinter 1534dn

    On Jul 31, 4:59 am, "Basil Holloway" wrote:
    > Recently had a two 4500dn's and one 5dn HP Laserjet duplex network printers
    > pack up which are too expensive to repair.
    > Owing to recession can only spend up to $A1000 ( $US950 ) to get a
    > replacement RJ45 network colour duplex laser printer.
    > Had a heck of a job finding a network colour duplex laser printer with
    > dedicated drivers for W98, W2K, XP and AIX 4 to 6.
    > The HP CM1312NFI specification says it has dedicated AIX drivers but they
    > are not available on the down load site. The same applies to the HP 4730MFP
    > and HP CP6015dn. HP tech support says they do not know when the drivers will
    > be available.
    > Have located an Infoprint 1534dn that meets the spec but Ricoh and IBM are
    > in a state of flux over Infoprint in Australia at the moment and phone calls
    > to both parties leave me unimpressed as to on going support.
    >
    > Being a newbie just wanted a printer to attatch to my P2P network hub/switch
    > and install it on several new and ancient RS6000's through smit. ( The
    > 4500's and 5dn were easy to install)
    >
    > Kycera kindly gave me this about their printer but don't want to go down
    > this route just yet, too complicated.
    >
    > " FS-C5015 as well as majority of Kyocera printers and MFD (multi functional
    > device) support PCL, PJL, IBM Proprinter, HP GL, PostScript and Diablo
    > emulations and prints straight text (ASCII). The most application for UNIX
    > systems produce jobs in straight text or PostScript format. IBM AIX is UNIX
    > system and as all use LPD/LPR daemon. See attached file how to add print
    > queue to the most known UNIX systems. AIX should support BSD too. Daemon
    > controls print queue. Accepts jobs in text, PostScript (commonly used) or
    > other format from applications and send them to printer. If your
    > applications can't prepare jobs then use something like Ghostscript (http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/) to render jobs (link between application
    > and queue) . Ghostscript (free postscript) can use PPD driver. I don't know
    > how Ghostscript will run on AIX. You should investigate this. If you have
    > CUPS (Common UNIX Printing System) distribution set on your AIX you can use
    > PPD file (driver for Linux). Visitwww.cups.org. "
    >
    > Hunting around the web cannot find much around about the Infoprint 1534dn.
    > Has anyone had any experience with it.
    >
    > Thanks All
    > Basil

    I have not had much experience with the Kyocera and Ricoh printers. We
    mostly deal with IBM, Lexmark, and HP models because those have native
    drivers available that come with the AIX installation media.

    We have an HP model P3005x laser that works well with the IBM AIX
    systems we have. That is only a B&W model, but if you want color,
    there is the CP3600 that should work, and runs about US$700

    http://www.shopping.hp.com/product/p...Q5988A%2523ABA

    Since IBM actually supplies the HP Jetdirect Network Attachment
    utility for creation of printer queues, and they supply various
    drivers on their installation media, you may find a model that is
    compatible with the drivers they supply. Here is an example of some of
    the drivers that IBM supplies with AIX:

    Hewlett-Packard LaserJet 4 Plus
    Hewlett-Packard LaserJet 4000
    Hewlett-Packard Color LaserJet 4500
    Hewlett-Packard LaserJet 4Si
    Hewlett-Packard LaserJet 4V
    Hewlett-Packard LaserJet 5Si/5Si MX
    Hewlett-Packard LaserJet 5Si Mopier
    Hewlett-Packard LaserJet 8000
    Hewlett-Packard LaserJet 8100
    Hewlett-Packard Color LaserJet 8500
    Hewlett-Packard LaserJet 5000 D640 Printer

    You could use one of the Color Laserjet drivers with the HP CP3600dn
    and the only problem I would expect you to have would be that the
    available trays may not match up with the available model, and you
    would have to fiddle with the tray codes (see the HP PJL codes in the
    manuals)

    Just a suggestion.

    Steve

  3. Re: Infoprinter 1534dn

    "steven_nospam at Yahoo! Canada" wrote in message
> [...]

    > drivers on their installation media, you may find a model that is
    > compatible with the drivers they supply. Here is an example of some of
    > the drivers that IBM supplies with AIX:
    >
    > Hewlett-Packard LaserJet 4 Plus
    > Hewlett-Packard LaserJet 4000
    > Hewlett-Packard Color LaserJet 4500
    > Hewlett-Packard LaserJet 4Si
    > Hewlett-Packard LaserJet 4V
    > Hewlett-Packard LaserJet 5Si/5Si MX
    > Hewlett-Packard LaserJet 5Si Mopier
    > Hewlett-Packard LaserJet 8000
    > Hewlett-Packard LaserJet 8100
    > Hewlett-Packard Color LaserJet 8500
    > Hewlett-Packard LaserJet 5000 D640 Printer
    >
    > You could use one of the Color Laserjet drivers with the HP CP3600dn
    > and the only problem I would expect you to have would be that the
    > available trays may not match up with the available model, and you
    > would have to fiddle with the tray codes (see the HP PJL codes in the

    Steve thanks for a great reply.
    Settled on a Lexmark C532dn. The Lexmark people dug up all the smit
    installable AIX drivers from 3.2 through to 6.1 and Windows from DOS right
    up to Vista.
    Not sure how a DOS box prints to a network printer but it will be fun
    trying.
    Printer will be here in a week then the hijinx's starts.

    Regards
    Basil

+ Reply to Thread