where are IP addresses on NIC coming from? - Aix

This is a discussion on where are IP addresses on NIC coming from? - Aix ; AIX 5.3 ML4 When an interface starts up, there is an additional address attached to the interface, but in /etc networking files, and smit tcpip, (and CuAt as far as I can tell) there is only the primary IP that ...

  1. where are IP addresses on NIC coming from?

    AIX 5.3 ML4

    When an interface starts up, there is an additional address attached
    to the interface, but in /etc networking files, and smit tcpip, (and
    CuAt as far as I can tell) there is only the primary IP that should be
    there.

    I don't see any additional ifconfig scripts running. It's not just
    when I up the card- if I remove the alias, it re-appears.

    Thanks for the help.

  2. Re: where are IP addresses on NIC coming from?

    On Jul 30, 12:40 pm, jimi wrote:
    > AIX 5.3 ML4
    >
    > When an interface starts up, there is an additional address attached
    > to the interface, but in /etc networking files, and smit tcpip, (and
    > CuAt as far as I can tell) there is only the primary IP that should be
    > there.
    >
    > I don't see any additional ifconfig scripts running. It's not just
    > when I up the card- if I remove the alias, it re-appears.
    >
    > Thanks for the help.

    Are you running HACMP?

  3. Re: where are IP addresses on NIC coming from?

    On Jul 30, 1:23*pm, c00p wrote:
    > On Jul 30, 12:40 pm, jimi wrote:
    >
    > > AIX 5.3 ML4

    > > When an interface starts up, there is an additional address attached
    > > to the interface, but in /etc networking files, and smit tcpip, (and
    > > CuAt as far as I can tell) there is only the primary IP that should be
    > > there.

    > > I don't see any additional ifconfig scripts running. *It's not just
    > > when I up the card- if I remove the alias, it re-appears.

    > > Thanks for the help.

    > Are you running HACMP?

    No I'm not

  4. Re: where are IP addresses on NIC coming from?

    On Jul 30, 12:46*pm, jimi wrote:
    > On Jul 30, 1:23*pm, c00p wrote:
    >
    > > On Jul 30, 12:40 pm, jimi wrote:

    > > > AIX 5.3 ML4

    > > > When an interface starts up, there is an additional address attached
    > > > to the interface, but in /etc networking files, and smit tcpip, (and
    > > > CuAt as far as I can tell) there is only the primary IP that should be
    > > > there.

    > > > I don't see any additional ifconfig scripts running. *It's not just
    > > > when I up the card- if I remove the alias, it re-appears.

    > > > Thanks for the help.

    > > Are you running HACMP?

    > No I'm not

    ifconfig -a should show your all your ipaddress configured for the
    interface

    If you have multiple ip address then at some point appears that
    aliases where added.

    You can delete these by going under smitty tcpip --> then go to futher
    --> network interfaces -- > then go down to configure ip aliases and
    delete the ones you dont want - you probably have ip4 aliases
    configured.

    also check lsattr -El inet0 and see what you have out there.

    You could also start from scratch which should remove everything
    assuming you just have en0 log on to the console and
    stop the interface ifconfig en0 down detach - then remove all devices
    rmdev -dl ent0
    rmdev -dl et0
    rmdev -dl en0

    then
    cfgmgr
    then
    smitty devices --> commnication - ethernet --adpater -change the
    interface to correct speed

    then
    smitty tcipip - use minum config - you should be good to go after that

  5. Re: where are IP addresses on NIC coming from?

    On Jul 31, 10:43*am, mprod...@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Jul 30, 12:46*pm, jimi wrote:

    > > > Are you running HACMP?

    > > No I'm not

    > ifconfig -a should show your all your ipaddress configured for the
    > interface
    >
    > If you have multiple ip address then at some point appears that
    > aliases where added.
    >
    > You can delete these by going under smitty tcpip --> then go to futher
    > --> network interfaces -- > then go down to configure ip aliases and
    > delete the ones you dont want - you probably have ip4 aliases
    > configured.
    >
    > also check lsattr -El inet0 and see what you have out there.
    >
    > You could also start from scratch which should remove everything
    > assuming you just have en0 log on to the console and
    > stop the interface ifconfig en0 down detach - then remove all devices
    > rmdev -dl ent0
    > rmdev -dl et0
    > rmdev -dl en0
    >
    > then
    > cfgmgr
    > then
    > smitty devices --> commnication - ethernet --adpater -change the
    > interface to correct speed
    >
    > then
    > smitty tcipip - use minum config - you should be good to go after that- Hide quoted text -

    Have a look at inet0 i.e. # lsattr -El inet0

+ Reply to Thread