Command to get Stack trace from core dump on AIX 5.3 - Aix

This is a discussion on Command to get Stack trace from core dump on AIX 5.3 - Aix ; Hi Please let me know if there is any command AIX 5.3 provides, which gives stack trace from Core dump, like pstack on solaris. I can't use dbx as customer doesn't have dbx on their environment. Thanks, Bharti...

  1. Command to get Stack trace from core dump on AIX 5.3

    Hi
    Please let me know if there is any command AIX 5.3 provides, which
    gives stack trace from Core dump, like pstack on solaris.
    I can't use dbx as customer doesn't have dbx on their environment.

    Thanks,
    Bharti

  2. Re: Command to get Stack trace from core dump on AIX 5.3

    Hi,

    What about kdb?
    Having snap -ac, extract it, enter dump directory, perform following
    commands:

    uncompress dump.Z or dmpuncompress dump.BZ
    uncompress unix.Z
    ../kdb dump unix (it's important to run kdb from dump directory)

    Then 'f' should give You stack trace

    Regards,
    Rafal

  3. Re: Command to get Stack trace from core dump on AIX 5.3

    bharathi schrieb:
    > Hi
    > Please let me know if there is any command AIX 5.3 provides, which
    > gives stack trace from Core dump, like pstack on solaris.
    > I can't use dbx as customer doesn't have dbx on their environment.

    Two options:
    1. install dbx
    2. get to core + all necessary files to a system with dbx installed
    see man snapcore

  4. Re: Command to get Stack trace from core dump on AIX 5.3

    On Jul 28, 2:17*am, Thomas Braunbeck
    wrote:
    > bharathi schrieb:> Hi
    > > Please let me know if there is any command AIX 5.3 provides, which
    > > gives stack trace from Core dump, like pstack on solaris.
    > > I can't use dbx as customer doesn't have dbx on their environment.

    > Two options:
    > 1. install dbx
    > 2. get to core + all necessary files to a system with dbx installed
    > * * see man snapcore

    Thanks thomas for reply .

    dbx installation is not possible on customer's production environment
    also I don't think I can debug customer's core files on my
    environment.
    Let me know if AIX provides any command like pstack on solaris which
    can generate stack trace from core file.

    Thanks,
    Bharathi

  5. Re: Command to get Stack trace from core dump on AIX 5.3

    bharathi writes:

    > On Jul 28, 2:17*am, Thomas Braunbeck
    >> Two options:
    >> 1. install dbx
    >> 2. get to core + all necessary files to a system with dbx installed
    >> * * see man snapcore

    > dbx installation is not possible on customer's production environment
    > also I don't think I can debug customer's core files on my
    > environment.

    It may not be entirely clear from "man snapcore", but its purpose
    is *exactly* that: to enable you to debug customer's core file on
    your own machine.

    > Let me know if AIX provides any command like pstack on solaris which
    > can generate stack trace from core file.

    Yes: it's called "dbx".

    Cheers,
    Remove /-nsp/ for email.

  6. Re: Command to get Stack trace from core dump on AIX 5.3

    On Jul 27, 11:52*am, bharathi wrote:
    > Hi
    > Please let me know if there is any command AIX 5.3 provides, which
    > gives stack trace from Core dump, like pstack on solaris.
    > I can't use dbx as customer doesn't have dbx on their environment.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bharti

    Q&D: It won't necessarily pin it down for you, but perhaps 'errpt'
    would help (assuming they'll let you run it on their box ?