Is there a way to mount a JFS with Direct I/O on system reboot? - Aix

This is a discussion on Is there a way to mount a JFS with Direct I/O on system reboot? - Aix ; oslevel -s 5300-06-04-0748 When using Enhanced JFS, is there a way to allow AIX to automatically mount the file system with the Direct I/O option? To do this now, I use the following command: # mount -odio /samplefs However, I ...

  1. Is there a way to mount a JFS with Direct I/O on system reboot?

    oslevel -s
    5300-06-04-0748

    When using Enhanced JFS, is there a way to allow AIX to automatically
    mount the file system with the Direct I/O option?

    To do this now, I use the following command:

    # mount -odio /samplefs

    However, I would like to set up the file system so that it is
    automatically mounted using that option. In the "smitty chjfs2"
    screen, there is the following field:

    Mount OPTIONS []

    When I check the help for that field, it only mentions two options:

    The security-related mount options. You can specify the following
    values:
    - nosuid - Prevents execution of setuid and setgid programs from this
    mount.
    - nodev - Prevents open system calls of devices from this mount.

    Does anyone know if there is an entry I can add to the /etc/
    filesystems or through smit that will auto-mount the file system with
    the dio ?

    I have not followed up with IBM AIX Support yet, just was wondering if
    it was an undocumented but allowed option.

    Thx,

    Steve

  2. Re: Is there a way to mount a JFS with Direct I/O on system reboot?

    steven_nospam at Yahoo! Canada wrote:
    > oslevel -s
    > 5300-06-04-0748

    > When using Enhanced JFS, is there a way to allow AIX to automatically
    > mount the file system with the Direct I/O option?

    > To do this now, I use the following command:

    > # mount -odio /samplefs

    > However, I would like to set up the file system so that it is
    > automatically mounted using that option. In the "smitty chjfs2"
    > screen, there is the following field:

    > Mount OPTIONS []

    You should be able to just type dio into that field and commit. Check
    /etc/filesystems after you've done that and it ought to be listed on the
    options line in the right fs stanza.

    Regards,
    Gregory Young

  3. Re: Is there a way to mount a JFS with Direct I/O on system reboot?

    "Gregory Young" wrote in message
    > steven_nospam at Yahoo! Canada wrote:
    >> oslevel -s
    >> 5300-06-04-0748

    >> When using Enhanced JFS, is there a way to allow AIX to automatically
    >> mount the file system with the Direct I/O option?

    >> To do this now, I use the following command:

    >> # mount -odio /samplefs

    >> However, I would like to set up the file system so that it is
    >> automatically mounted using that option. In the "smitty chjfs2"
    >> screen, there is the following field:

    >> Mount OPTIONS []

    > You should be able to just type dio into that field and commit. Check
    > /etc/filesystems after you've done that and it ought to be listed on the
    > options line in the right fs stanza.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Gregory Young

    Easier way is to use the chfs command :

    chfs -a options=dio

    Mark

  4. Re: Is there a way to mount a JFS with Direct I/O on system reboot?

    Thanks Greg, Mark.

    Yes, using smit (or chfs), I was able to add the option and it shows
    in the /etc/filesystems as follows:

    /tempfs:
    dev = /dev/fslv00
    vfs = jfs2
    log = INLINE
    mount = true
    options = rw,dio
    account = false

    To test and see if ANY option value is accepted, I tried putting in an
    invalid option to see what happens and got an error.

    # umount /tempfs
    # chfs -a options=rw,silly /tempfs
    # mount /tempfs
    mount: 0506-326 silly is not a valid flag.

    That error did not appear on the "dio" setting I had added, so it is
    probably an acceptable value for "options". I also see the value
    listed with the lsfs command:

    # lsfs /idsq01
    Name Nodename Mount Pt VFS Size
    Options Auto Accounting