AIX - 452 Error - need help - Aix

This is a discussion on AIX - 452 Error - need help - Aix ; I was trying to copy Oracle installer (of size : 1238844 KB) from Windows box to AIX 5.2 box through ftp and it throwed the following error : " 452 Error writing file: A file cannot be larger than the ...

  1. AIX - 452 Error - need help

    I was trying to copy Oracle installer (of size : 1238844 KB) from
    Windows box to AIX 5.2 box through ftp and it throwed the following
    error :

    " 452 Error writing file: A file cannot be larger than the value
    set by ulimit."

    I changed the ulimit value to unlimited and I tried copying even after
    that the same error was thrown.
    Then I changed fsize value in /etc/security/limits file.
    Then I tried copying the Oracle installer and it was successful.
    Now I tried gunzipping the Oracle installer on AIX box and it therowed
    the following error.
    gunzip: 10gr2_aix5l64_database.cpio: File too large

    The problem here is the file system on AIX is JFS (Journalled File
    System) and it supports files of size <=2GB.If we want to have a file
    of size more than 2 GB we need to change the file system to Extended
    Journalled File System.

    So can you please find out how to change the file system from JFS to
    XJFS. Also, are there any other ways to solve this issue without
    changing the file system.

  2. Re: AIX - 452 Error - need help

    On Jul 24, 3:12 am, chaitan wrote:
    > I was trying to copy Oracle installer (of size : 1238844 KB) from
    > Windows box to AIX 5.2 box through ftp and it throwed the following
    > error :
    >
    > " 452 Error writing file: A file cannot be larger than the value
    > set by ulimit."
    >
    > I changed the ulimit value to unlimited and I tried copying even after
    > that the same error was thrown.
    > Then I changed fsize value in /etc/security/limits file.
    > Then I tried copying the Oracle installer and it was successful.
    > Now I tried gunzipping the Oracle installer on AIX box and it therowed
    > the following error.
    > gunzip: 10gr2_aix5l64_database.cpio: File too large
    >
    > The problem here is the file system on AIX is JFS (Journalled File
    > System) and it supports files of size <=2GB.If we want to have a file
    > of size more than 2 GB we need to change the file system to Extended
    > Journalled File System.
    >
    > So can you please find out how to change the file system from JFS to
    > XJFS. Also, are there any other ways to solve this issue without
    > changing the file system.

    To my knowledge, there is no way to convert a JFS to Enhanced JFS. You
    have to delete the file system and then create it as type JFS2.

    You also have the option to use a JFS as long as it is "Large File
    Enabled". This was an interim feature developed for JFS so it could
    handle files larger than 2GB. Again, I know of no easy conversion to
    make JFS large file enabled.

    Since you are copying a new file from another system, you should have
    the option to put it wherever you like, so just create a new JFS2 or
    LFE-JFS and use gunzip or cpio in that file system.

    Steve

  3. Re: AIX - 452 Error - need help

    On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 00:12:36 -0700 (PDT), chaitan wrote:

    > I was trying to copy Oracle installer (of size : 1238844 KB) from
    >Windows box to AIX 5.2 box through ftp and it throwed the following
    >error :
    >
    > " 452 Error writing file: A file cannot be larger than the value
    >set by ulimit."
    >
    >I changed the ulimit value to unlimited and I tried copying even after
    >that the same error was thrown.
    >Then I changed fsize value in /etc/security/limits file.
    >Then I tried copying the Oracle installer and it was successful.
    >Now I tried gunzipping the Oracle installer on AIX box and it therowed
    >the following error.
    >gunzip: 10gr2_aix5l64_database.cpio: File too large
    >
    >The problem here is the file system on AIX is JFS (Journalled File
    >System) and it supports files of size <=2GB.If we want to have a file
    >of size more than 2 GB we need to change the file system to Extended
    >Journalled File System.
    >
    >So can you please find out how to change the file system from JFS to
    >XJFS. Also, are there any other ways to solve this issue without
    >changing the file system.

    Other solution may be to use pipe:

    gunzip -c 10gr2_aix5l64_database.cpio.gz | cpio -icuvdm

    and extract files from cpio archive without first creating a file over 2 gigs
    size.

    Alex

+ Reply to Thread