How to write files from AIX 4.2.1 to Windows? - Aix

This is a discussion on How to write files from AIX 4.2.1 to Windows? - Aix ; I'm wanting to write files each night from an RS/6000 running AIX 4.2.1 to a machine in my Windows domain. I have samba set up on the AIX box, and Windows users can happily access the AIX box but am ...

  1. How to write files from AIX 4.2.1 to Windows?

    I'm wanting to write files each night from an RS/6000 running AIX
    4.2.1 to a machine in my Windows domain. I have samba set up on the
    AIX box, and Windows users can happily access the AIX box but am
    having issues when wanting to write files in the other direction.

    From searching around the net I can't find any information that looks
    particularly helpful for me as a 4.2.1 user. I would think installing
    CIFS support would be the simplest way to do this, and found some info
    stating I can install CIFS from the installation CD but I can't find
    any CIFS stuff on my install discs and I'm thinking perhaps it wasn't
    part of the install discs in 4.2.1

    Does this sound reasonable? Would CIFS be the obvious way to mount a
    Windows share under AIX? Is this possible in AIX 4.2.1? If so, can I
    download the CIFS install material from somewhere or is it on the
    discs and I'm just not looking hard enough?

    I also found stuff about Fast Connect that looked helpful, but it
    doesn't look like that is supported under 4.2.1

    Anyway, if someone has any suggestions it would be greatly
    appreciated... also, it does look like CIFS is not already
    installed... I had thought to check that

  2. Re: How to write files from AIX 4.2.1 to Windows?

    gphaedrus@gmail.com wrote:
    > I'm wanting to write files each night from an RS/6000 running AIX
    > 4.2.1 to a machine in my Windows domain. I have samba set up on the
    > AIX box, and Windows users can happily access the AIX box but am
    > having issues when wanting to write files in the other direction.
    >
    > From searching around the net I can't find any information that looks
    > particularly helpful for me as a 4.2.1 user. I would think installing
    > CIFS support would be the simplest way to do this, and found some info
    > stating I can install CIFS from the installation CD but I can't find
    > any CIFS stuff on my install discs and I'm thinking perhaps it wasn't
    > part of the install discs in 4.2.1
    >
    > Does this sound reasonable? Would CIFS be the obvious way to mount a
    > Windows share under AIX? Is this possible in AIX 4.2.1? If so, can I
    > download the CIFS install material from somewhere or is it on the
    > discs and I'm just not looking hard enough?
    >
    > I also found stuff about Fast Connect that looked helpful, but it
    > doesn't look like that is supported under 4.2.1
    >
    > Anyway, if someone has any suggestions it would be greatly
    > appreciated... also, it does look like CIFS is not already
    > installed... I had thought to check that

    aix 4.2.1 is pretty old. I don't think official IBM CIFS/FastConnect
    was around then and I think it would be pretty hard to get it from
    IBM since it is long out of support by now. I don't see any samba
    binaries for 4.2.1 though you can try tweaking the source to compile
    on your machine.

    For what you want, I would suggest using ftp to transfer the files.
    You already have an ftp server on the AIX box so windows ftp can access
    it. It shouldn't be to hard to get an ftp server running on your windows
    box. You didn't say what windows you were running. You may already have
    it.

  3. Re: How to write files from AIX 4.2.1 to Windows?

    On Jul 20, 11:52 pm, "gphaed...@gmail.com"
    wrote:
    > I'm wanting to write files each night from an RS/6000 running AIX
    > 4.2.1 to a machine in my Windows domain. I have samba set up on the
    > AIX box, and Windows users can happily access the AIX box but am
    > having issues when wanting to write files in the other direction.
    >
    > From searching around the net I can't find any information that looks
    > particularly helpful for me as a 4.2.1 user. I would think installing
    > CIFS support would be the simplest way to do this, and found some info
    > stating I can install CIFS from the installation CD but I can't find
    > any CIFS stuff on my install discs and I'm thinking perhaps it wasn't
    > part of the install discs in 4.2.1
    >
    > Does this sound reasonable? Would CIFS be the obvious way to mount a
    > Windows share under AIX? Is this possible in AIX 4.2.1? If so, can I
    > download the CIFS install material from somewhere or is it on the
    > discs and I'm just not looking hard enough?
    >
    > I also found stuff about Fast Connect that looked helpful, but it
    > doesn't look like that is supported under 4.2.1
    >
    > Anyway, if someone has any suggestions it would be greatly
    > appreciated... also, it does look like CIFS is not already
    > installed... I had thought to check that

    Try finding a copy of Samba that runs on AIX 4.2 - It lets you copy
    files back and forth between a Windows PC and a UNIX host. There are
    compiled versions available for AIX 4.3, but not sure about earlier
    versions.

    Steve

  4. Re: How to write files from AIX 4.2.1 to Windows?

    On Jul 22, 6:27*am, "steven_nospam at Yahoo! Canada"
    wrote:
    > On Jul 20, 11:52 pm, "gphaed...@gmail.com"
    > wrote:
    >

    > > I'm wanting to write files each night from an RS/6000 running AIX
    > > 4.2.1 to a machine in my Windows domain. I have samba set up on the
    > > AIX box, and Windows users can happily access the AIX box but am
    > > having issues when wanting to write files in the other direction.

    > > From searching around the net I can't find any information that looks
    > > particularly helpful for me as a 4.2.1 user. I would think installing
    > > CIFS support would be the simplest way to do this, and found some info
    > > stating I can install CIFS from the installation CD but I can't find
    > > any CIFS stuff on my install discs and I'm thinking perhaps it wasn't
    > > part of the install discs in 4.2.1

    > > Does this sound reasonable? Would CIFS be the obvious way to mount a
    > > Windows share under AIX? Is this possible in AIX 4.2.1? If so, can I
    > > download the CIFS install material from somewhere or is it on the
    > > discs and I'm just not looking hard enough?

    > > I also found stuff about Fast Connect that looked helpful, but it
    > > doesn't look like that is supported under 4.2.1

    > > Anyway, if someone has any suggestions it would be greatly
    > > appreciated... also, it does look like CIFS is not already
    > > installed... I had thought to check that

    > Try finding a copy of Samba that runs on AIX 4.2 - It lets you copy
    > files back and forth between a Windows PC and a UNIX host. There are
    > compiled versions available for AIX 4.3, but not sure about earlier
    > versions.
    >
    > Steve

    Thanks for your reply Steve (and Sol's earlier)... I have samba
    installed, but I didn't think that allowed sending the files in the
    other direction... I guess my issue is actually that I don't know how
    to mount, or just directly reference, the Windows share. I read that
    smbfs would allow me to write the other way, but found something else
    that said smbfs was separate from samba itself and was deprecated, and
    support was put behind developing CIFS instead. Could you, or anyone,
    advise of how I might write to a Windows box using Samba... ie. do I
    need to add a 'reverse share' to my samba.conf so AIX can see Windows?

    As for Sol's suggestion to FTP the files, it's not really suitable for
    my needs... perhaps I should have explained my situation better.

    I've inherited an AIX system that has not really been administered for
    a number of years (and adding to the problem, it's the first time I've
    used AIX). We currently have a backup system of a job running each
    weekday backing up files to tape using the backup command. We don't do
    any mksysb backups, and are using a ten year old tape drive that I'm
    sure is going to fail one day.

    I would like to change this to doing a weekly mksysb, and having the
    files backed up using tar on to a share on our SAN in our Windows
    environment. This way the daily file backups would be stored centrally
    with our other backups, would mean the tars could be backed up to tape
    with our standard Windows backup to tape job, nd would require less
    administrator intervention in terms of changing tapes everyday. The
    main issue is that I don't have the spare drive space to tar the files
    on to my AIX box... so I wanted to tar to a mounted windows share
    directly. I had thought of doing this in the reverse order (creating a
    samba share on AIX, then having Windows compress the files to a
    backup), but would rather the files tarred in their native environment
    lessening any chance of annoyances like permissions issues or
    something like that. I also can't use Backup Exec under Windows as the
    Backup Exec Agent only supports from AIX 4.3 onwards.

  5. Re: How to write files from AIX 4.2.1 to Windows?

    After my last essay... I think I've found that someone has had my
    great idea before me, hence the smbtar command... which also appears
    to already be on my server. Being completely ignorant of AIX sure
    makes finding these things out harder ;-)

  6. Re: How to write files from AIX 4.2.1 to Windows?

    gphaedrus@gmail.com wrote:
> [...]

    > files backed up using tar on to a share on our SAN in our Windows
    > environment. This way the daily file backups would be stored centrally
    > with our other backups, would mean the tars could be backed up to tape
    > with our standard Windows backup to tape job, nd would require less
    > administrator intervention in terms of changing tapes everyday. The
    > main issue is that I don't have the spare drive space to tar the files
    > on to my AIX box... so I wanted to tar to a mounted windows share
    > directly. I had thought of doing this in the reverse order (creating a
    > samba share on AIX, then having Windows compress the files to a
    > backup), but would rather the files tarred in their native environment
    > lessening any chance of annoyances like permissions issues or
    > something like that. I also can't use Backup Exec under Windows as the
    > Backup Exec Agent only supports from AIX 4.3 onwards.

    smbfs is mainly for linux, there are equivalents but i don't think they
    work for your older system. As for you failing tape drive, we have had that
    happen and there are replacement drives available (new and used) at much
    lower prices available than the original IBM price.

    There is also another possibility for file transfer: NFS
    AIX has it and it is available on windows from various sources including
    some IIRC freeware and shareware sources. It is also available from microsoft
    in the windows services for unix package, also free and downloadable.

  7. Re: How to write files from AIX 4.2.1 to Windows?

    On Jul 21, 6:34*pm, "gphaed...@gmail.com" wrote:
> [...]

    > environment. This way the daily file backups would be stored centrally
    > with our other backups, would mean the tars could be backed up to tape
    > with our standard Windows backup to tape job, nd would require less
    > administrator intervention in terms of changing tapes everyday. The
    > main issue is that I don't have the spare drive space to tar the files
    > on to my AIX box... so I wanted to tar to a mounted windows share
    > directly. I had thought of doing this in the reverse order (creating a
    > samba share on AIX, then having Windows compress the files to a
    > backup), but would rather the files tarred in their native environment
    > lessening any chance of annoyances like permissions issues or
    > something like that. I also can't use Backup Exec under Windows as the
    > Backup Exec Agent only supports from AIX 4.3 onwards.- Hide quoted text -

    Try this guide. It is for AIX 5, but the configuration portion should
    still apply to AIX 4. Of course, installation may not be quite as
    simple as they describe (using smit). But you say you already have
    Samba so, that might be already addressed.

    www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks/pdfs/sg246004.pdf

  8. Re: How to write files from AIX 4.2.1 to Windows?

    gphaedrus@gmail.com wrote:
> [...]

    > files backed up using tar on to a share on our SAN in our Windows
    > environment. This way the daily file backups would be stored centrally
    > with our other backups, would mean the tars could be backed up to tape
    > with our standard Windows backup to tape job, nd would require less
    > administrator intervention in terms of changing tapes everyday. The
    > main issue is that I don't have the spare drive space to tar the files
    > on to my AIX box... so I wanted to tar to a mounted windows share
    > directly. I had thought of doing this in the reverse order (creating a
    > samba share on AIX, then having Windows compress the files to a
    > backup), but would rather the files tarred in their native environment
    > lessening any chance of annoyances like permissions issues or
    > something like that. I also can't use Backup Exec under Windows as the
    > Backup Exec Agent only supports from AIX 4.3 onwards.

    You do have the tape drive on maintenance don't you? We are using an
    8mm tape drive that is over 12 years old and have had it on maintenance
    the entire time. It has been replaced by IBM several times over the
    years at no cost. I can call them at 2 AM on a Sunday night and they
    will bring out a replacement drive within an hour if it is available.
    If it isn't they will fly in a new one, again at no cost. I just
    replaced the drive last Friday. The first drive failed to load a tape
    and they flew in another one and installed it that evening.

  9. Re: How to write files from AIX 4.2.1 to Windows?

    On Jul 23, 5:06*am, "Michael W. Ryder" <_mwry...@worldnet.att.net>
    wrote:
> [...]

    > > backup), but would rather the files tarred in their native environment
    > > lessening any chance of annoyances like permissions issues or
    > > something like that. I also can't use Backup Exec under Windows as the
    > > Backup Exec Agent only supports from AIX 4.3 onwards.

    > You do have the tape drive on maintenance don't you? *We are using an
    > 8mm tape drive that is over 12 years old and have had it on maintenance
    > the entire time. *It has been replaced by IBM several times over the
    > years at no cost. *I can call them at 2 AM on a Sunday night and they
    > will bring out a replacement drive within an hour if it is available.
    > If it isn't they will fly in a new one, again at no cost. *I just
    > replaced the drive last Friday. *The first drive failed to load a tape
    > and they flew in another one and installed it that evening.- Hide quoted text -

    try sharity.
    it works on aix 4.2 & 4.3, at least the version I found a long time
    ago.

    http://www.obdev.at/products/sharity/download.html

  10. Re: How to write files from AIX 4.2.1 to Windows?

    On Jul 23, 7:06*am, "Michael W. Ryder" <_mwry...@worldnet.att.net>
    wrote:
    > You do have the tape drive on maintenance don't you? *We are using an
    > 8mm tape drive that is over 12 years old and have had it on maintenance
    > the entire time. *It has been replaced by IBM several times over the
    > years at no cost. *I can call them at 2 AM on a Sunday night and they
    > will bring out a replacement drive within an hour if it is available.
    > If it isn't they will fly in a new one, again at no cost. *I just
    > replaced the drive last Friday. *The first drive failed to load a tape
    > and they flew in another one and installed it that evening.

    Hahahahaha... yeah, and we have a workable DR/BCP policy too There
    is no support in place... when I started here (as a Windows sys admin)
    around the start of the year they hadn't been getting backups for
    nearly two months. I foolishly mentioned that I have used UNIX in the
    past so it was left to me to deal with anything that goes wrong with
    the server. So far I've only had to fix some file permission errors,
    update a few scripts that still had server names from when we used to
    be part of another company and replaced the faulty tape drive that was
    causing their backup issues, but the replacement was a $20 drive from
    trademe, New Zealand's equivalent of ebay. The intention is that the
    two applications that run on this server will be migrated to either a
    Linux or Windows environment, on hardware more in line with the rest
    of our network (HP Intel servers). This decision seems to have made
    most people comfortable that the UNIX box can be ignored again... but
    I'm not totally comfortable with the tape drives life expectancy, so
    would like to lessen the load on it... as well as avoid crawling
    around behind the server racks to where the UNIX server was dumpde
    when we recently moved location. Unfortunately this server doesn't get
    the love it deserves (as our most reliable/stable server) and I'm left
    trying to find nasty hacks for any problems to help it slowly glide
    down to the end of its life later this year... rather than have it go
    down in a ball of flame shortly before its intended decommissioning

    Sol Gongola wrote... at some point in time:
    >There is also another possibility for file transfer: NFS
    >AIX has it and it is available on windows from various sources including
    >some IIRC freeware and shareware sources. It is also available from microsoft
    >in the windows services for unix package, also free and downloadable.

    Yeah, this is how I'm approaching the problem now. The server I want
    to share with already has the "Server for NFS" UNIX interoperability
    extension built in as part of Windows Server 2003 R2... turns out a
    solution to my problem was significantly easier than I had made it.
    But, at least I got to learn how little I knew about UNIX in the
    process

  11. Re: How to write files from AIX 4.2.1 to Windows?

    gphaedrus@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Jul 23, 7:06 am, "Michael W. Ryder" <_mwry...@worldnet.att.net>
    > wrote:
    >> You do have the tape drive on maintenance don't you? We are using an
    >> 8mm tape drive that is over 12 years old and have had it on maintenance
    >> the entire time. It has been replaced by IBM several times over the
    >> years at no cost. I can call them at 2 AM on a Sunday night and they
    >> will bring out a replacement drive within an hour if it is available.
    >> If it isn't they will fly in a new one, again at no cost. I just
    >> replaced the drive last Friday. The first drive failed to load a tape
    >> and they flew in another one and installed it that evening.

    > Hahahahaha... yeah, and we have a workable DR/BCP policy too There
    > is no support in place... when I started here (as a Windows sys admin)
    > around the start of the year they hadn't been getting backups for
    > nearly two months. I foolishly mentioned that I have used UNIX in the
    > past so it was left to me to deal with anything that goes wrong with
    > the server. So far I've only had to fix some file permission errors,
    > update a few scripts that still had server names from when we used to
    > be part of another company and replaced the faulty tape drive that was
    > causing their backup issues, but the replacement was a $20 drive from
    > trademe, New Zealand's equivalent of ebay. The intention is that the
    > two applications that run on this server will be migrated to either a
    > Linux or Windows environment, on hardware more in line with the rest
    > of our network (HP Intel servers). This decision seems to have made
    > most people comfortable that the UNIX box can be ignored again... but
    > I'm not totally comfortable with the tape drives life expectancy, so
    > would like to lessen the load on it... as well as avoid crawling
    > around behind the server racks to where the UNIX server was dumpde
    > when we recently moved location. Unfortunately this server doesn't get
    > the love it deserves (as our most reliable/stable server) and I'm left
    > trying to find nasty hacks for any problems to help it slowly glide
    > down to the end of its life later this year... rather than have it go
    > down in a ball of flame shortly before its intended decommissioning

    Personally I would run as fast as I could from a company like that. You
    do realize that as soon as the server crashes or you can not restore
    vital information from a malfunctioning tape drive that you will be
    blamed? Our company has thought about migrating from our RS/6000 for
    several years but it is still running our company so I wouldn't place
    any stock in their assertion that it will be decommissioned in the next
    few months. And even if it is you have to worry about a failing hard
    drive or tape drive until it is turned off. I think our service is
    costing us about $100 (US) a month for the system and tape drive. So
    far this year I have called them twice, once for the tape drive and once
    for a failing system drive.

    > Sol Gongola wrote... at some point in time:
    >> There is also another possibility for file transfer: NFS
    >> AIX has it and it is available on windows from various sources including
    >> some IIRC freeware and shareware sources. It is also available from microsoft
    >> in the windows services for unix package, also free and downloadable.

    > Yeah, this is how I'm approaching the problem now. The server I want
    > to share with already has the "Server for NFS" UNIX interoperability
    > extension built in as part of Windows Server 2003 R2... turns out a
    > solution to my problem was significantly easier than I had made it.
    > But, at least I got to learn how little I knew about UNIX in the
    > process

+ Reply to Thread