Need help setting up OpenSSH on 4.3.3 - Aix

This is a discussion on Need help setting up OpenSSH on 4.3.3 - Aix ; I think I have OpenSSH running properly on a test computer running 4.3.3. I created a key for root and saved the files in /.ssh. When I try to log in from a Windows XP computer using Putty it seems ...

  1. Need help setting up OpenSSH on 4.3.3

    I think I have OpenSSH running properly on a test computer running
    4.3.3. I created a key for root and saved the files in /.ssh. When I
    try to log in from a Windows XP computer using Putty it seems to be
    working as Putty shows a key from the RS6000. I am not sure how to make
    sure that it is the correct key but I accept it. I then try to log in
    using root and the password but it is rejected.
    Perusing various web sites and O'Reilly's SSH book haven't given me any
    clue as to what I should do next. Any ideas or clues?

  2. Re: Need help setting up OpenSSH on 4.3.3

    Michael W. Ryder schrieb:
    > I think I have OpenSSH running properly on a test computer running
    > 4.3.3. I created a key for root and saved the files in /.ssh. When I
    > try to log in from a Windows XP computer using Putty it seems to be
    > working as Putty shows a key from the RS6000. I am not sure how to make
    > sure that it is the correct key but I accept it. I then try to log in
    > using root and the password but it is rejected.
    > Perusing various web sites and O'Reilly's SSH book haven't given me any
    > clue as to what I should do next. Any ideas or clues?

    search for #PermitRootLogin yes
    and uncomment this line in you "sshd_config" file.
    If interactive authentication is done via PAM, your PAM configuration
    must allow network login for root, too.

    --
    Uli

  3. Re: Need help setting up OpenSSH on 4.3.3

    Uli Link wrote:
    > Michael W. Ryder schrieb:
    >> I think I have OpenSSH running properly on a test computer running
    >> 4.3.3. I created a key for root and saved the files in /.ssh. When I
    >> try to log in from a Windows XP computer using Putty it seems to be
    >> working as Putty shows a key from the RS6000. I am not sure how to
    >> make sure that it is the correct key but I accept it. I then try to
    >> log in using root and the password but it is rejected.
    >> Perusing various web sites and O'Reilly's SSH book haven't given me
    >> any clue as to what I should do next. Any ideas or clues?

    > search for #PermitRootLogin yes
    > and uncomment this line in you "sshd_config" file.
    > If interactive authentication is done via PAM, your PAM configuration
    > must allow network login for root, too.

    Thank you very much! I could find no reference for this in any of my
    searches and didn't even know it existed. I had to change the
    uncommented line PermitRootLogin no to yes and reboot and SSH works!
    Is there any reference to the sshd_config file available? There were a
    lot of entries in there that I could not decide if they might be need.

  4. Re: Need help setting up OpenSSH on 4.3.3

    On 07/17/2008 09:12 PM, Michael W. Ryder wrote:
    > I had to change the
    > uncommented line PermitRootLogin no to yes and reboot and SSH works!

    Reboot? You must have made a typo, or surely you meant to type 'stopsrc
    -s sshd && startsrc -s sshd'.

    After all, this ain't windows.

    Niel

  5. Re: Need help setting up OpenSSH on 4.3.3

    Niel Lambrechts wrote:
    > On 07/17/2008 09:12 PM, Michael W. Ryder wrote:
    >> I had to change the uncommented line PermitRootLogin no to yes and
    >> reboot and SSH works!

    > Reboot? You must have made a typo, or surely you meant to type 'stopsrc
    > -s sshd && startsrc -s sshd'.
    >
    > After all, this ain't windows.
    >
    > Niel

    I know, but this is a test computer, actually an ancient model 370, and
    it was easy for me to have it reboot while doing other things and then
    finish my testing. I knew there were commands to stop and start the
    service but didn't have them handy and it would have taken longer to
    find them then it took to do it the "hard" way.
    I will print out your message to remind me in the future.

+ Reply to Thread